Welcome to Plbg.com Welcome to the Popular Plumbing, Kitchen, Bath Advice Site
  We're sponsored by:
The Leading Online Plumbing Supplier Since 1995
www.PlumbingForum.com
THE Dynamic Plumbing, Kitchen and Bath, Information, Advice and Sharing Forum

Over 520,000 Posts in over 150k Threads

By far the most popular positive STRICTLY PLUMBING INFORMATION SHARING FORUM board on the Net. Ask any toilet, sink, faucet, pump, water quality and other plumbing related questions here. Plumbing professional and DIY tips, tricks, shortcuts, remodeling, plumbing advice forum and blog. Please refrain from asking business, pricing, legal or any other non strictly plumbing related questions and we also ask for only positive comments and no advertising. 

New TopicSearchLog In Newest Messages
 Sink P-Trap Assembly Leaking
Author: i_am_jim

The kitchen sink stopped up today and I had to remove the P-Trap and the horizontal pipe that mates with it and goes into the pipe that enters the wall. I had to buy new parts because the horizontal pipe was verrrrry difficult to pull out of the pipe it goes into and I boogered it up getting it out. Now it leaks where these two pieces go together -- see picture.

There's no washer/seal, just a press fit. How do you get this joint to stop leaking?

Edited 1 times.

Reply To This Message

Re: Sink P-Trap Assembly Leaking
Author: Plumbum

With a few wraps of teflon tape
Not on the threads!
The face of the male side of the union joint only
Takes a soft hand to do it sufficiently without wrapping on too much
good luck

Reply To This Message

Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

I've never used teflon on that connection, if its leaking either its not tight enough or one or the other mating surfaces is damaged.

Reply To This Message

Author: dlh (TX)

i agree with NCP

- - - - - - -

PLUMBERS "Protecting The Health Of The Nation"

Reply To This Message

>if its leaking either its not tight enough or one or the other mating surfaces is damaged.

I tightened it snugly but gently at first. When it leaked I tightened it more by hand. When it still leaked I pulled down on it with channelocks, and it's still leaking. The parts are new, so they would have to have come damaged. Though I didn't examine the surfaces carefully, I did look at them and saw no irregularities.

Edited 2 times.

Reply To This Message

I also agree with NC and Texas

Sometimes you are very far away from 'ideal' materials

Try it sometime guys? You may be surprised.

My Dad said to me once...kinda like that older woman and the Frank's Hot Sauce... he said - You put that @!#! on everything!

Really...get in a bind? Try it. But not on the threads like a lot of guys do, only on the male face. If it passes by the mating sufaces, all the Frank's Sauce in the world won't help.

ps: Pop's name is Frank. ;-D

Reply To This Message

then it must not have been aligned properly. there is no other reason for it to leak. sure you didn't crack the nut?

- - - - - - -

Reply To This Message

never have i or any plumber worth his salt that i know has ever used thread tape nor pipe dope on slip joint fittings. if it leaks it either has a faulty part or wasn't put together properly. hand tight and then snug (maybe a 1/4 to 1/2 turn more) should do it. sometimes it may take a little more but normally just hand tight works except on the wall arm to trap

- - - - - - -

Reply To This Message

Alight, here's what I've done. I took it all apart and examined the surfaces both visually and by running my finger around them. I neither saw nor felt any irregularities. I then reassembled them loosely. Then I tightened the connection that has been leaking first. When it touched down completely is was solid -- no give. I tugged moderately on the nut with the channelocks, but there was simply no more give. At this point it doesn't seem to be leaking. If this worked, the secret was to tighten that joint first so there are no other forces on it.

Edited 1 times.

Reply To This Message

glad you got it. sounds like it was an alignment problem

- - - - - - -

Reply To This Message

NaCl?

I can take it

Because I be an Old Salt

Kids...Sheesh

Reply To This Message

Thanks much for the advice and comments. Say what you will, had that not worked I would have reached for the teflon tape.

Reply To This Message

Well it leaked overnight. Since it's part of the U the joint has water at it constantly. It seems to seep through. If you test it immediately after replacing it it doesn't leak because the leak is so slow it doesn't come through for a while (more than 30 minutes), but over time of sitting with water in it the water seeps through. I'm going to try the teflon tape and if that doesn't work I guess I'll buy another assembly at another store.

Reply To This Message

good luck

- - - - - - -

Reply To This Message

Author: Nayman's Drain Services (Non-US)

Are you tightening the slip-nut to the tail piece first or last?
Does the tail piece have room to move inside the u-shape or is it jammed to the bottom?
If there is no room for the tail piece from your strainer to move, the could very well be an alignment problem.

---------------

Reply To This Message

Author: Shoemaker2 (MA)

A little Teflon paste on the mating surface would be fine, with or without the SALT.

Reply To This Message

Author: LemonPlumber (FL)

Go get a new one.then look closely to find the defect of the leaking one.seam me a crack?maybe a a little extra plastic from the seam?maybe alack of plastic at the seam.It is a plastic trap.

Reply To This Message

Author: RWP (SD)

I agree with Plumbum. If these traps are defective because they leak then most are defective. I have had to use teflon on most of them. In later years of my working life I just put teflon on before I put it together and saved myself a lot of grief from leaks. I do not know where you fellows get yours that do not leak. In practicality the principal of the joint is not reality.

- - - - - - - - - -

Retired after 50 years of plumbing and heating.

Reply To This Message

Author: SwimRunPlumb (MI)

I havn't used those kind in years. Now all I use are the kind that come with the rubber gaskets. These don't use the plastic on plastic connection, they use a rubber gasket.

I have in the past put pipe dope on those old style ones though when needed.

Reply To This Message

Author: hj (AZ)

I get mine from a plumbing wholesaler, and have NEVER had to use ANYTHING to seal that joint.

Reply To This Message

i have never had to use anything to seal that joint either and have used many traps from big box stores even

- - - - - - -

Reply To This Message

You two are very fortunate then.

Reply To This Message

Author: odysseus99 (CA)

Bondo. It's the solution to everything... even marital problems. Slather it on with impunity and suffer the results. Only way to go.

Reply To This Message

Bondo is overkill for drain leaks. Epoxy is all that is needed for drains. I save the bondo for water line leaks.

Reply To This Message

Author: LemonPlumber (FL)

Nice guys .I saw the forty boxes of pepper the auto mechanic thought would stop the heater leak.Only his wife stopped him!Still wonder if it would have worked?LOL.

Reply To This Message

on small leaks and enough of it, yes it will temporarily

- - - - - - -

Reply To This Message

Not necessarily "fortunate", but maybe just "good".

Reply To This Message

Are you the guy who when he runs out of Bondo, covers the entire drain system with silicone caulk? If so, I have been searching for you for years.

Reply To This Message

Pepper? I would think an auto mechanic would have tried AlumaSeal.

Reply To This Message

yes if they had some

- - - - - - -

Reply To This Message

I would expect him to have Alum A Seal, before he had "40 boxes of pepper".

Edited 1 times.

Reply To This Message

not 40 just one. you arent going to seal anything more than a single pin hole with it

- - - - - - -

Reply To This Message

Author: Epikto (CA)

Excellent Site. I've had a drain assembly that's been working for many years including a trap. I had to do maintenance on the sink and it leaked when i put it back together. I panic'd and forgot all my past experience. I looked at this site and it brought me back to my senses. Attaching the Trap first so that it aligns properly was what made it stopped working for me. This same trap has worked for many years and through some tough tenants and pretty bad plumbing in my money pit of a house. Glad something works around here.

Thanks for the reminder. Good stuff!

Reply To This Message

Note: Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.

Warning: Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.

Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.

Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try Heatinghelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Click here to view our old forum messages

to: Contact Us
to: Plumbing Manufacturers Address Directory
to: Plumbing Links Site
to: How to show an image
to: theplumber.com
to: Plbg Statistics
to: our FAQ's
to: Advisor List
to: Common Plumbing Terms
We're sponsored by:
  We're sponsored by:

Copyright© 2014 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.