Welcome to Plbg.com Welcome to the Popular Plumbing, Kitchen, Bath Advice Site
  We're sponsored by:
The Leading Online Plumbing Supplier Since 1995
www.PlumbingForum.com
THE Dynamic Plumbing, Kitchen and Bath, Information, Advice and Sharing Forum

Over 520,000 Posts in over 150k Threads

The most popular positive STRICTLY PLUMBING INFORMATION SHARING FORUM board on the Net. Ask any toilet, sink, faucet, pump, water quality and other plumbing related questions here. Plumbing professional and DIY tips, tricks, shortcuts, remodeling, plumbing advice forum and blog. Please refrain from asking business, pricing, contractor referrals, legal or any other non strictly plumbing related questions and we also ask for only positive comments and no advertising. 

New TopicSearchLog In Newest Messages
 Hot Water Not Circulating
Author: mmsitarski (NJ)

I have a Weil-McClain Gold forced hot water boiler (oil). I have it set up as one zone. The burner fires and heats the water to 220 degrees (what the aquastat is set to) then the burner kicks off and the circulating pump stays on but the water does not circulate to the baseboards.

I would think that if the pump is working correctly then the cold water should be entering the boiler and keep the temperature inside the boiler cool enough until all the water is heated to 220 degrees. I opened the bolts around the pump and water came out, I was told that this would suggest that the system is not airlocked... is that correct? Could the system be airlocked or is it that the pump is malfunctioning?

Thanks,

Matt

Edited 1 times.

Reply To This Message

Re: Hot Water Not Circulating
Author: Shoemaker2 (MA)

The piping my have ice in it if the heat has been off in this cold weather we are having. Depending on how you system in piped you may be able to purge the system and force the water around the loop and out a hose connected at the purge set-up. That is if it is pipe properly.

Reply To This Message

Author: Paul48 (CT)

Loosening the bolts proves nothing, except that there is water in the system.As said, it could be frozen pipes, air-bound, or a bad circulator pump. If it's down for any length of time, it may be a couple of those things.

Reply To This Message

Author: SMSPlumbing (PA)

Just out of curiosity, why do you have the high limit set at 220. That is over the boiling temperature. You would be just fine with setting it at 180 high and 160 low.

And I am agreeing with what else has been said.

Reply To This Message

Author: LemonPlumber (FL)

Please bring me several gallons .you are dropping onces.Hope the check is in order.

Reply To This Message

Author: RWP (SD)

I agree with SMSPlumbing. 220 F is way too high for the high limit to be set. 200 F maximum or preferably lower. The boiler is more efficient at a lower setting but not so low it will not heat the house.

There are reasons that heating system anti-freeze was invented and this is one of them.

- - - - - - - - - -

Retired after 50 years of plumbing and heating.

Edited 2 times.

Reply To This Message

Author: hj (AZ)

It is an indication of limited, or no, flow, usually caused by an "air pocket" in the system, or a blocked pipe. There is no "cold water entering the system" unless the pump is putting it there. The burner heats the water in the boiler, but if there is no circulation, then that is the ONLY water that gets heated. Your concept of how the system works is faulty.

Reply To This Message

It is not above the boiling point for a pressurized system, but may have been raised to compensate for an underdesigned system.

Reply To This Message

quote; There are reasons that heating system anti-freeze was invented and this is one of them.

It MAY be one of them, and then again it might NOT be. We DO NOT know why it is not circulating, but there are more air bound systems than frozen ones.

Reply To This Message

Author: packy (MA)

i vote for a frozen pipe...
200 deg is about right for this time of year. 220 is too high.
once the low temps go to the 30's you can lower it to 160..

Reply To This Message

Author: rudythplbr63 (AK)

My guess is that the pump volute is installed backwards, and the pump in it is working normally. I ran into that problem in a motel in Nevada. The owner said he'd had the pump changed out a year b-4 and it hadn't worked since.
So I went and took a look and sure enough the volute was backwards, and not pumping any return water to the boiler. It was trying to pump water out at the return. Nothing was happening b.c. it had a flow control at the top of the boiler.

Reply To This Message

Note: Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.

Warning: Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.

Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.

Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try Heatinghelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Click here to view our old forum messages

to: Contact Us
to: Plumbing Manufacturers Address Directory
to: Plumbing Links Site
to: How to show an image
to: theplumber.com
to: Plbg Statistics
to: our FAQ's
to: Advisor List
to: Common Plumbing Terms
We're sponsored by:
  We're sponsored by:

Copyright© 2014 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.