Welcome to Plbg.com
Welcome to the Popular Plumbing, Kitchen, Bath Advice Site
Special thanks to:
FAMOUS PLUMBINGSUPPLY the award winning plumbing, kitchen and bath catalog. The largest selection of plumbing products and supplies on the net with over 1,600 pages. Since 1995 the PlumbingSupply Group has been serving the entire Internet community.
www.PlumbingForum.com
THE Dynamic Plumbing, Kitchen and Bath, Information, Advice and Sharing Forum
click here to learn how to show an image on PLBG.com

Over 520,000 Posts in over 150k Threads

By far the most popular STRICTLY PLUMBING INFORMATION SHARING FORUM board on the Net. Ask any toilet, sink, faucet, pump, water quality and other plumbing related questions here. Plumbing professional and DIY tips, tricks, shortcuts, remodeling, plumbing advice forum and blog. Please refrain from asking business, pricing, legal or any other non strictly plumbing related questions. 

New TopicSearchLog In Newest Messages
 copper pipe pin hole leak temp fix
Author: sum (FL)

I don't have a leak but have seen various threads on copper pipe leaks, so I thought I would ask all the experts here, supposed one does have a pin hole leak, it's 2 in the morning, supply stores are closed, you don't have all the parts and tools to do a permanent fix, what is the best one can do with what may be readily available in a typical home owner's garage? No mighty putty, no magic wrap etc...

What would be worth trying?

I am thinking, if I were in that situation, as a DIYer I might wrap the pipe a few wraps of duct tape, then a hose clamp over it.

What would be your option?

Edited 1 times.

Reply To This Message

Re: copper pipe pin hole leak temp fix
Author: Wheelchair (IL)

That would be as good as anything else mentioned. Much depends on what is in your toolbox and what is in your wallet.

The location of the pinhole on such copper pipe (backside/frontside) vs where the copper tube meets the concrete wall vs a elbow that is flushed to a wall, would merit further discussion and relief.

Best Wishes

Reply To This Message

Author: Paul48 (CT)

Pinhole........Two a.m.............Remove source of pressure, direct water into something to catch it........see ya in the morning.

Reply To This Message

Author: Plumbum

Hmmm
Take call
Hold bucket until apprentice gets to work after all night partying and brings coupling
Charge double time
;-D
jk

You know sum - you run into or just think of so many things that may go awry...

I think we should rename the law

Out goes Murphy

It is now "sum's law"!!!

Keep 'em coming. It is all great brain excercise!

Bum

Reply To This Message

Author: LemonPlumber (FL)

Shut off and relieve the pressure when not in use.direct the leak to a drain or bucket until a qualified plumber can make a real repair.Do most homes have electrical tape?If you have room to apply several tight wraps it does slow the flow.More often than not the real problem is locating the leak.

Reply To This Message

Author: packy (MA)

a piece of rubber and a hose clamp works best..

Reply To This Message

Author: hj (AZ)

At 2:00 A.M., the best repair is to shut off the water system and go back to bed until morning.

Reply To This Message

Author: RWP (SD)

Tape will not stop a water pressure leak ever.

- - - - - - - - - -

Retired after 50 years of plumbing and heating.

Reply To This Message

Author: Nayman's Drain Services (Non-US)

unroll a condom, wrap it around the leak, then wrap electrical tape around it.

---------------

Reply To This Message

Author: jimmy-o (CA)

I have actually used the "magic tape" sold by Billy Mays, and also in HD. It can work. It doesn't hold up long term, but short term, you could do worse!

Reply To This Message

Author: Paul48 (CT)

Ummmm........If my wife finds condoms around the house,I have a bigger problem than the leak!

Reply To This Message

Author: chadschloss78 (MI)

LOL :) Funny, but true :)

Reply To This Message

that's why you keep them in your tool box

---------------

Reply To This Message

I suppose they should be Latex condoms.

Reply To This Message

A septic tank pumper told me that when he opened a septic's lid to pump it, he found the whole surface was covered with condoms. When he showed it to the husband and told him they should not be flushed down the toilet, he said that HE NEVER used them because he had had a vasectomy years earlier.

Reply To This Message

Yes, they have to be Latex.
Strongest rubber known to man.
I used to fix air-line leaks on semi's with them.
Even at 125psi, a 100,000 mile fix.

---------------

Reply To This Message

Author: LemonPlumber (FL)

What is the best you can do with whats available home owner garage?Not sure if he see's the variation of an american garage.

Reply To This Message

Note: Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.

Warning: Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.

Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.

Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try Heatinghelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Please visit:
FAMOUS PLUMBINGSUPPLY the award winning plumbing, kitchen and bath catalog. The largest selection of plumbing products and supplies on the net with pver 1,600 pages in our online plumbing catalog. Since 1995 the PlumbingSupply Group has been serving the entire Internet community.

Click here to view our old forum messages

Please visit:
FAMOUS PLUMBINGSUPPLY the award winning plumbing, kitchen and bath catalog. The largest selection of plumbing products and supplies on the net with over 1,600 pages in our online plumbing catalog. Since 1995 the PlumbingSupply Group has been serving the entire Internet community.

to: Contact Us
to: Plumbing Manufacturers Address Directory
to: Plumbing Links Site
to: How to show an image
to: theplumber.com
to: Plbg Statistics
to: our FAQ's
to: Advisor List
to: Toilet Repair Information
to: Tankless Water Heaters
to: Common Plumbing Terms