Welcome to Plbg.com Welcome to the Popular Plumbing, Kitchen, Bath Advice Site
The Leading Online Plumbing Supplier Since 1995
www.PlumbingForum.com
THE Dynamic Plumbing, Kitchen and Bath, Information, Advice and Sharing Forum

Over 520,000 Posts in over 150k Threads

By far the most popular positive STRICTLY PLUMBING INFORMATION SHARING FORUM board on the Net. Ask any toilet, sink, faucet, pump, water quality and other plumbing related questions here. Plumbing professional and DIY tips, tricks, shortcuts, remodeling, plumbing advice forum and blog. Please refrain from asking business, pricing, legal or any other non strictly plumbing related questions and we also ask for only positive comments and no advertising. 

New TopicSearchLog In Newest Messages
 Slow drain
Author: blbircher (PA)

My new wife had the bathtub re finished and re plumbed. When the drain was put in she said it was slow (still is). The plumber told her that was because the tub was old. I have a hard time believing this. I took the trap off thinking it was clogged. It is clear. A vent was put on the drain pipe, it is about 4" high. I took it off and checked it. It is working (manually). I turned on the cold water in the bathroom sink. The bathroom sink is close (3.5') to the drain exit. When I took out the vent water came out really fast, that led me to believe the drop is improper. Can this be corrected by increasing the drop @ the drain exit? I hope you under stand what I am trying to say. The vent is attached directly to the drain pipe. It is a pro-vent pv-140 the number on it is NSF-24. I was thinking about isolating the 2 drains. IE cut the plastic pipe and drop it 2" at the exit. This will give the sink and tube its own drain. Should I keep this vent in line?

Edited 1 times.

Reply To This Message

Re: Slow drain
Author: dlh (TX)

t sounds like you have an air admittance valve (aav) and those are not proper vents, in the opinion of many plumbers, and have these types of problems. without knowing exactly how the drains and vent are installed we cant really say what the problem is other than the line is probably restricted further down

- - - - - - -

PLUMBERS "Protecting The Health Of The Nation"

Reply To This Message

Author: rjjr38 (ME)

You may have hair clogging the drain or not vented properly. The hair would be in the drain & waste assembly and not the trap. To clear it I take a piece of romex wire and bend a small hook on one end and fish it down the tub drain. Doing this repeatedly pulling the hair out. If your tub is vented within 5ft of the drain you should be OK. If not a Pro vent should solve the problem. My guess it's a hair clog.

Reply To This Message

Author: packy (MA)

if the drain is new, the stopper mechanism may be out of adjustment.
P/S, please tell the installing plumber he/she is full of crap...
also, inform the plumbing inspector of the problem. the job never should have been passed if the drain was slow.

Reply To This Message

Author: hj (AZ)

If you mean water came out of the vent opening, then it would be VERY unusual if that was caused by "bad slope". It is more likely the drain, which is common to the tub and sink, is partially obstructed causing your symptoms. IF your "plumber" thinks the drain is bad because the tub is "old", then get a better plumber who will find the REAL reason and fix it.

Reply To This Message

Author: SMSPlumbing (PA)

Sounds like you need to get that plumber back out, or hire another to take a look at it. Without being there and seeing it in person, we can only guess as to why it is set up this way, and why it is acting this way.

Reply To This Message

Note: Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.

Warning: Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.

Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.

Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try Heatinghelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Click here to view our old forum messages

to: Contact Us
to: Plumbing Manufacturers Address Directory
to: Plumbing Links Site
to: How to show an image
to: theplumber.com
to: Plbg Statistics
to: our FAQ's
to: Advisor List
to: Common Plumbing Terms
The Leading Online Plumbing Supplier Since 1995 The Leading Online Plumbing Supplier Since 1995

Copyright© 2014 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.