Welcome to Plbg.com
Welcome to the Popular Plumbing, Kitchen, Bath Advice Site
Special thanks to:
FAMOUS PLUMBINGSUPPLY the award winning plumbing, kitchen and bath catalog. The largest selection of plumbing products and supplies on the net with over 1,600 pages. Since 1995 the PlumbingSupply Group has been serving the entire Internet community.
www.PlumbingForum.com
THE Dynamic Plumbing, Kitchen and Bath, Information, Advice and Sharing Forum
click here to learn how to show an image on PLBG.com

Over 520,000 Posts in over 150k Threads

By far the most popular STRICTLY PLUMBING INFORMATION SHARING FORUM board on the Net. Ask any toilet, sink, faucet, pump, water quality and other plumbing related questions here. Plumbing professional and DIY tips, tricks, shortcuts, remodeling, plumbing advice forum and blog. Please refrain from asking business, pricing, legal or any other non strictly plumbing related questions. 

New TopicSearchLog In Newest Messages
 Laundry Room Drain Pipe Smells Sour
Author: dna2005 (CA)

Our laundry room smells like rotten eggs. Last time this happened, I put draino down the washer drain pipe and it went away for a couple months.

It's back. Any suggestions for a long term solution?

Reply To This Message

Re: Laundry Room Drain Pipe Smells Sour
Author: Doug E. (CA)

rotten egg smell means sulfur gas. Are you on a septic?

Reply To This Message

Author: Wheelchair (IL)

As suggested, sour often implies sulpher. But it could also mean standing water in your trap. Chemicals have little to no effect on non-organic restrictions and could be dangerous to uses with unnecessary fumes.
If this is a major issue, I would consider having a licensed plumber power wash the line and inspect it for integrity.

Best Wishes

Reply To This Message

Author: ev607797 (VA)

Is there a floor drain in the laundry area? The trap in it may have dried up and your efforts may be tossing enough water in that direction to temporarily solve the matter. If you do have a floor drain, try dumping a gallon or so of water in it. My vote is that the smell is coming from there.

---Ed---

Reply To This Message

Author: Nayman's Drain Services (Non-US)

Washers put out just as much, if not more, lint as your dryer. The lint adheres to the wall of the pipe, and is a perfect breeding ground for microbes/germs that CAN cause bad smells.
Using any kind of chemical only masks the problem and is never recommended.
If you can, drain the trap into a jar. Smell the water. If it smells bad, get your pipe cleaned be a professional drain cleaner or a certified plumber.
Maybe even go so far as to get the wastewater tested to see what exactly is in it that would produce the bad smell.(if you're in a town or city, your local wastewater plant may be able to help you)
Sulfur Dioxide produces a rotten egg smell, but I have never heard of that particular smell being described as "sour".
I hope you get your problem fixed

---------------

Reply To This Message

Author: LemonPlumber (FL)

Dna.I would suggest that you check your washing machine manufacturers recommendation for sanitizing the drum.Pull the drain hose from the machine and stuff a bath hand towel in the drain.you may now see the smell is the machine not the drain.often high level water high temp bleach content water will resolve a machine oder.If your trap is holding water.test buy dropping a string with weigh on it to see if it is wet.Then leave the lid of the washer open when not in use.wipe fouling softeners and soap skum from the drum top edges.

Reply To This Message

Author: jerco (MD)

I've taken away more than a few old washing machines that have had the foulest smelling water I've ever smelled left inside them. Evidently the pump does not discharge ALL the water and the stagnate water left inside becomes malodorous beyond belief.

Take the discharge hose out of the stand pipe and lay it on the ground (have towels you don't care about handy) water will come out. You will know right away if that's the problem.

You can try pouring bleach into the machine and letting it sit there for a day or two. That should take care of the problem for a little while but a new washing machine may be the only lasting solution ... if that's the source of the smell.

Reply To This Message

Note: Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.

Warning: Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.

Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.

Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try Heatinghelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Please visit:
FAMOUS PLUMBINGSUPPLY the award winning plumbing, kitchen and bath catalog. The largest selection of plumbing products and supplies on the net with pver 1,600 pages in our online plumbing catalog. Since 1995 the PlumbingSupply Group has been serving the entire Internet community.

Click here to view our old forum messages

Please visit:
FAMOUS PLUMBINGSUPPLY the award winning plumbing, kitchen and bath catalog. The largest selection of plumbing products and supplies on the net with over 1,600 pages in our online plumbing catalog. Since 1995 the PlumbingSupply Group has been serving the entire Internet community.

to: Contact Us
to: Plumbing Manufacturers Address Directory
to: Plumbing Links Site
to: How to show an image
to: theplumber.com
to: Plbg Statistics
to: our FAQ's
to: Advisor List
to: Toilet Repair Information
to: Tankless Water Heaters
to: Common Plumbing Terms