Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 electric water heater scalding problem
Author: idreos (MD)

I have a 60 gallon State Select electric water heater that is 4 years old.
Recently it started putting out scalding hot water. I shut off the breakers and looked at the top and bottom thermostat and set both to the lowest temperature. It worked okay for two weeks,
but the scalding water problem started again. Has one or both of the thermostats gone bad?
Any other suggestions on what the problem may be? Thanks for you help

Re: electric water heater scalding problem
Author: hj (AZ)

MOre likely one of the elements, probably the bottom one, has failed and is overriding the thermostat.

Author: Shoemaker2 (MA)

I concur, I just had one today with the same problem. Since you have to drain the tank I would suggest changing both elements.

Author: m & m (MD)

Yes, one of the thermostats is probably bad and running the temperature up past setpoint. It is best to replace them both at the same time.

Author: mrh (IN)

Faulty stats. Replace both of them. What were the readings on the elements, ohm?

Indiana Plumber

quote; Faulty stats. Replace both of them. What were the readings on the elements, ohm?

FIRST you check the elements, then the thermostats. DO NOT "replace both of them", until you find out what is CAUSING the symptoms. If you are going to start replacing things you THINK are bad, you might as well just change the heater and be sure you have solved the problem, (and even that does not always cure it).

Could loose breaker have caused this problem??
Author: idreos (MD)

When shutting the double breaker I noticed the breaker was loose on the clamp side..I shut main and fixed the loose clamp on the breaker..is it possible the loose breaker somehow caused the intermittent scalding water????

Re: Could loose breaker have caused this problem??
Author: dlh (TX)

no. it may cause colder water from the unit not getting power but the breaker has nothing to do with any part of heating the water

- - - - - - -

PLUMBERS "Protecting The Health Of The Nation"

Re: Could loose breaker have caused this problem??
Author: LemonPlumber (FL)

Your problem seems to be a t-stat failure to shut the power off to the element after the temp,/ as set\ is reached.It is possible to have a intermittent problem with a stat.when this heater is over temp see if one of the two elements is still energized.The controlling stat would be the one to change.

Author: mr leak (CA)

I believe it is a thermostat problem not a heating element as the elements are heating to the point of scalding. What is interesting is that the heat thermostat/s have a internal breaker most likely a small red button that should have tripped when water got that hot?

A burned out element CAN bypass the thermostat, and it usually DOES trip the ECO, but since the water is so hot, the user may not realize the unit is not heating for a couple of days if they do not use a great deal of hot water.

HJ.I would need proof.

HJ.I would need proof.I will give you half amperage but it would need to be seldom used.The upper stat would still cut the power over temp and the high limit /reset would second the control failure even at short 120/110 burn.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.