Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 gas to detached garage?
Author: birdley123 (KY)

I want to run about 60 feet or so buried line to my garage for a gas garage heater. whats the best material for this application? I plan on trenching about 36" deep. Does the utility have to change out the meter base for the added load?

Thx in advance,

Re: gas to detached garage?
Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

Here in NC we would use soft copper for the underground. They will need to adjust the regulator for the additional load.

Author: Wheelchair (IL)

Before you begin the task, know your btu demand. Menards in your area may sell the reinforced yellow poly pipe, but only if it is approved for use in your area. A new meter might be required based on the total demand of btu's for your house and the heater in the garage. Consider a licensed plumber to confirm that all joints are properly sealed before you start the fire. Lastly, you might want to add insurance coverage to the garage with the risk of fire coverage. Risks should be minimal if you did as instructed.

Best Wishes

Author: LemonPlumber (FL)

I would like to use the tubing, you/ now\ have.Yes it may very well need to be rerun to an extent.Just as others warned cover your new btu intent!!!Will let you see where and when the increase in tubing delivery size and how to cover the regulators ability to vent.Often the gas supplier is the only need to know.So get your facts together and ask them what they know!

Author: dlh (TX)

the best material would be yellow poly gas piping and check your local codes and put it at the depth they suggest. it has to be at least 18" and it is a good idea to make all in an area the same so you know about where it is if adding other pipping under ground

- - - - - - -

PLUMBERS "Protecting The Health Of The Nation"

thanks guys for the help... here's my next question; my plumber/friend wants me to pick up a "service whip" for the ends at the house and garage...

What are they??!! A link would help...

again, thx!

Happy Thanksgiving!

Author: hj (AZ)

The suppliers of yellow poly are NOT supposed to sell it to any one who has not passed certification for that brand of pipe. And there are more requirements to installing it than just digging an 18" trench and sticking the pipe in the ground. The are bedding, tracing, and termination requirements, in addition the more stringent test methods.

If he calls it a "service whip" then maybe HE should not be using it either. It is called a "meter riser with anode protection".

HJ?thought he only wanted the appliance whips for inside the house and garage?So need to know the tubing fitting end valve type and the appliance service size to get what I think the poster needs!

HJ?thought he only wanted the appliance whips for inside the house and garage?So need to know the tubing fitting end valve type and the appliance service size to get what I think the poster needs![www.plumbingsupply.com] these?Slide down the page to gas and start looking.

Author: waukeshaplumbing (WI)

Gastite makes a yellow poly for under ground...they also make metal risers with push fit joints for the pipe....i just did a backup generator with the stuff...very easy and price is decent

i wouldnt use copper or anything from menards

if your just a homeowner i would definitely say this is not a homeowner project

Author: Wheelchair (IL)

HJ, I agree with you and support that convention. However, the BB Store with the big M sells this stuff in coils to anyone with green or plastic. Yes the Operators manual can be purchased for a buck with the certification card in the back. The card also covers any product warranties. This stuff is not cheap.

Best Wishes

If something blows up, it will NOT be because of a "product warranty", but could be because the paper "certification" did not check the installer's ability properly.

Author: Scott the Plumber (PA)

I think some of the confusion here is in the type of pipe. CSST pipe and fittings require a certification to be purchased. All suppliers are required to ask for a card before handing it over. Most do ask, though I'm sure not all. PE pipe can be bought by anyone at retailers and wholesale supply houses. My opinion is the same as hj's. The PE should also require a cert. card as well as ANY pipe designed specifically for natural gas or LP and the certification should involve classroom hours with hands-on training and a qualified instructor. Gas lines aren't a DIY project.

His friend I would hope, would be smart and so this cannot go.He did say he was a Plumber.Helping a friend may go slow!!!Much better than blowing up someone you know.

quote; PE pipe can be bought by anyone at retailers and wholesale supply houses.

I have certification cards from various PE pipe manufacturers. IT usually requires even MORE care to install properly than CSST tubing, because it has some specific requirements, other than dig a trench, throw the pipe into it, and refill the hole.

quote; He did say he was a Plumber.Helping a friend

And HOW many times have we heard that. Often the "plumber" is an apprentice who spends all his time digging ditches or installing drain lines, or a handyman whose plumbing consists of repairing faucets. Not ALL plumbers are qualified to work on gas lines.

Author: Scott the Plumber (PA)

You're right hj. I never understood how PE pipe could be sold here without any cards while it requires so much more detail to install. To actually INSTALL PE gas pipe, it is required to be OQ-DOT certified, must be inspected, etc. and the gas company has jurisdiction over enforcement. So maybe the suppliers feel "if they are buying it, they must be certified." since anybody can apply for the class and get certified (if you pass). Regulating the sale of certain materials will not only protect the public, but protect the trade.

fwiw, the BTU demand of my garage heater is 45000 BTUs.
Does this help determine size?

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.