Welcome to Plbg.com Welcome to the Popular Plumbing, Kitchen, Bath Advice Site
  We're sponsored by:
The Leading Online Plumbing Supplier Since 1995
www.PlumbingForum.com
THE Dynamic Plumbing, Kitchen and Bath, Information, Advice and Sharing Forum

Over 525,000 Posts in over 155k Threads

The most popular positive STRICTLY PLUMBING INFORMATION SHARING FORUM board on the Net. Ask any toilet, sink, faucet, pump, water quality and other plumbing related questions here. Plumbing professional and DIY tips, tricks, shortcuts, remodeling, plumbing advice forum and blog. Please refrain from asking business, pricing, contractor referrals, legal or any other non strictly plumbing related questions keeping all positive and with no advertising. 

New TopicSearchLog In Newest Messages
 copper pipe pin hole leak at soldering joint
Author: kurtdahl (MN)

In order to install a new water softener, I had to redirect the existing softener intake and outflow copper pipes. I turned off the house's main water valve, another valve very close to the main valve, and the valve on the intake pipe. I also opened the laundry room faucets and the upstairs kitchen faucet. These steps did not eliminate a slow drip from the intake water pipe. Thinking I might get lucky, I soldered the remaining joints anyway. Once I turned the water supply back on, there was a pin hole leak in the soldered joint. Is there any way I can permanently repair the leak without having to cut out and replace the water pipe? If a C-clamp with a rubber sleeve will work, I'm OK with that. If I have to remove and replace pipe, how can I get the drip stopped in order to guarantee a dry soldering surface?

Reply To This Message

Re: copper pipe pin hole leak at soldering joint
Author: plbgbear (TX)

How long did you let the system drain before trying to solder? Did you trying closing the valve at the meter on the city side. You could have a valve that is not closing all the way. If you close the meter valve and that works you should be able to solder the pinhole with no problem.

Reply To This Message

Author: kurtdahl (MN)

There are two valves; one on either side of the meter. So, I'm shutting off on the city side and just on the "customer" side of the meter. I waited at least an hour and, after a certain period, the drip never slowed or stopped. I could pull down on the pipe and a mini-gush of water would come out -- the drip would stop for a few moments, but then resume.

Reply To This Message

Author: jimmy-o (CA)

There is no way to properly repair that leak without (A) removing ALL the water from the pipe and (B) taking the joint apart, to reclean and flux both pieces. The water has contaminated the surfaces, and there is little chance that you could successfully get solder to flow where it needs to to make a seal. There is almost NO chance solder will flow as long as there is the least little amount of water in that pipe.

Wish there was an easier answer, but only Billy Mays could solve this one.

Reply To This Message

Author: hj (AZ)

That "drip" is just the outward manifestation of a bad joint which probably has a much greater area inside it that did not solder properly. Once water contacts the "unsoldered" area, it will NEVER solder properly until it is taken apart, recleaned, and refluxed. There are many ways that we eliminate the water, each peculiar to a specific situation, but without knowing HOW your system is arranged we cannot tell you what would be the best way for YOU to do it.

Reply To This Message

And he would do it with "super bond putty".

Reply To This Message

Author: PlumberManDan (IA)

Here is what I do, when I have a valve that "just leaks a little", turn it off at the meter valve in the basement (MN) and completely loosen the house side meter nut, place a bucket under it first to catch the water open your outdoor faucet and a faucet on the highest level of the house, let it drain, unsolder the joint or cut the fitting out throw the fitting in the scrap copper box , re-clean, re-flux using a new fitting re-solder.

PlumbCat TM 2003

Plumbermandan

Reply To This Message

Author: sum (FL)

I heard some plumbers sometimes use "bread" to block the drip?

Reply To This Message

Hamburger buns are the bread of choice here if it is a VERY SLIGHT leak, Bread will not withstand any pressure it will however stop water from invading if it is just from a same floor belly in the pipe. It has helped me in a few cases

PlumbCat TM 2003

Plumbermandan

Reply To This Message

Does NOT work with a "pressure drip" just one caused by water draining from the piping. A pressure drip will push through the bread, or wash it out, just as it will when the water is turned back on full force.

Reply To This Message

I 60+ years in the trade, I may have had to use bread only one or two times, and I cannot remember either of them.

Reply To This Message

HJ, well your just a Plumbing GOD, We now have SUPERPLUMBER and PLUMBGOD. I would rather work SMART not hard. I will use bread if it is called for if not and that is usually the case, why waste the dime

PlumbCat TM 2003

Plumbermandan

Edited 1 times.

Reply To This Message

didn't you just agree with me?

Reply To This Message

Author: dlh (TX)

i use it when i have to but it is not often that i do since i know how to get the water out of the pipe.

- - - - - - -

PLUMBERS "Protecting The Health Of The Nation"

Reply To This Message

Author: NICK (CA)

I have used bread once in awhile. I think it was Hawaiian bread that worked great. I use my jet swet whenever it is possible.

Reply To This Message

Note: Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.

Warning: Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.

Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.

Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try Heatinghelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Click here to view our old forum messages

to: Contact Us
to: Plumbing Manufacturers Address Directory
to: Plumbing Links Site
to: How to show an image
to: theplumber.com
to: Plbg Statistics
to: our FAQ's
to: Advisor List
to: Common Plumbing Terms
We're sponsored by:
  We're sponsored by:

Copyright© 2014 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.