Welcome to Plbg.com
Welcome to the Popular Plumbing, Kitchen, Bath Advice Site
Special thanks to:
FAMOUS PLUMBINGSUPPLY the award winning plumbing, kitchen and bath catalog. The largest selection of plumbing products and supplies on the net with over 1,600 pages. Since 1995 the PlumbingSupply Group has been serving the entire Internet community.
www.PlumbingForum.com
THE Dynamic Plumbing, Kitchen and Bath, Information, Advice and Sharing Forum
click here to learn how to show an image on PLBG.com

Over 510,000 Posts in over 150k Threads

By far the most popular STRICTLY PLUMBING INFORMATION SHARING FORUM board on the Net. Ask any toilet, sink, faucet, pump, water quality and other plumbing related questions here. Plumbing professional and DIY tips, tricks, shortcuts, remodeling, plumbing advice forum and blog. Please refrain from asking business, pricing, legal or any other non strictly plumbing related questions. 

New TopicSearchLog In Newest Messages
 How did a waterbug come out of my kitchen drain?
Author: MelodyL (NY)

This is the second time in about 4 months. I don't get these things. A short while ago, we had a very warm spell here in NYC so I found a dead one in the bathroom and one live one on my front porch. I use ORANGE GUARD, and I have no ants, nothing. The stuff is great. So a few months ago I found a BIG dead waterbug in my kitchen sink. I thought maybe I brought it in with some produce that I had purchased. Got rid of it, didn't give it another thought.

Well, we have had very very mild weather for New York yet again, and tonight I was cleaning out my sink (I have this mesh drain thing that collects all the food so it doesn't clog the drain. Well, I picked up the mesh thing and there was this dead Waterbug sitting there. I got rid of it and I just want to ask a question.

Could these things have anything to do with the boiler and hot water heater being fixed and replaced downstairs in the basement?

A few days ago, the pipes were BANGING AND PINGING and we all jumped out of bed. The sound went THROUGHOUT the whole house not just where the boiler and the hot water heater are located. The people downstairs called me down, and we got the landlord, and he got a plumber and when they opened some valve to let the steam out (on the side of the boiler), all his black steamy dirty water came out. I asked the plumber, "is this supposed to happen?" and he said "no"

So they replaced the water heater which was cracked, and they had to repair some of the pipes that were near the boiler.

This was two days ago. They flushed out the pipes and all is working fine right now.

Could the flushing of the pipes have caused a waterbug to get in my drain and come out of my kitchen sink DEAD??

I mean, I flush water DOWN the drain, I don't have water coming OUT of my drain into my sink. So how this dead waterbug got out of my drain is a mystery. I just sprayed some TAT (with the long nozzle) down each drain in my house. I have all the drains using mesh things. Never had a problem in the bathroom. I cover the drain in the tub 24/7 with a flat thing and I have something as a weight holding it down. I have always done this because I always have a fear of a bug coming out of a drain, so I have ALWAYS kept the drains covered.

should I pour bleach or something down each drain to hopefully prevent any more waterbugs coming out?

And do you think the flushing of the pipes might have anything to do with this dead thing in my kitchen drain?

Thanks much if you can set my mind at ease.

Never had this before. I don't like bugs (any kind). lol

Thanks much.

Melody

Reply To This Message

Re: How did a waterbug come out of my kitchen drain?
Author: dlh (TX)

Could these things have anything to do with the boiler and hot water heater being fixed and replaced downstairs in the basement?

NO

the warm weather has more to do with your problem than your plumbing

- - - - - - -

PLUMBERS "Protecting The Health Of The Nation"

Reply To This Message

Author: Wheelchair

Consider the bugs a temporary gift from Mother Nature. It is definitely weather and environmentally related. Once the colder weather kicks in, the water bugs should disappear until next year.
Best Wishes

Reply To This Message

Author: MelodyL (NY)

Ah, but HOW did a waterbug get into my pipes and come out of my drain?

I mean, where do they originate from? I gather they come from outside, but exactly where did they come from, AND THEY ACTUALLY CRAWLED UP MY PIPE, into my kitchen drain?

And here's the best one. IT WAS DEAD AS A DOORNAIL. I didn't have to kill it. As I used the bug spray, I realized this sucker was dead in the water.

And it looked wedged in the drain. My drain in my kitchen sink has 4 big holes in it. That's why I have always used one of those mesh insert drain things to keep the food from going down.

When I removed the mesh thing it looked like the waterbug was wedged in one of the 4 holes in the drain. I tried to take a paper towel and grab it but couldn't. So I have one of those handy reacher thing that I used to grab stuff off of top shelves. I took it, I grabbed the waterbug, and dumped it in my trash.

So I'm guessing that it climbed up, got stuck under the mesh insert, and when I washed my dishes and pots and pans, using hot soapy dishwasher liquid, it killed the bug (or suffocated it), I've read where when one sprays it suffocates the waterbug because they breathe through their skin.

Am I correct about this scenario? And what can I do (meaning what can I pour), down my kitchen drain to hopefully prevent those nasty things from visiting my kitchen again.

I do thank the people who replied.

Reply To This Message

Author: dlh (TX)

they live in the sewer lines and crawl up your drain pipes. dont know why it was dead. maybe it got some of your bug killer and it made it that far before dieing

- - - - - - -

PLUMBERS "Protecting The Health Of The Nation"

Reply To This Message

Author: Wheelchair

As you have been advised, they crawl thru the air gaps in your waste and drain lines. Hot water is known to suddenly end their lives but they tolerate mild temperatures of waters. They also can swim if needed.
Just make sure that you make spagetti once a week and use the boiling waters to clear the lines. That alone may help.
Best Wishes

Reply To This Message

Author: RRW (IL)

Waterbug = cockroach

Reply To This Message

Author: SMSPlumbing (PA)

Maybe the bug had died and fell into the pipe and was floating on the trap weir.??!!

Reply To This Message

Author: LemonPlumber (FL)

You may have a line of water lined sediment in your drains.Chlorinate is harsh.but will kill any and all protein's just the same!Use as small amount of water to rinse it off where it goes in.let it set a few hours and bugs life chances, get real slim.Citrus works to clean well.but the emollients they but in it ,in the drain work backwards just as well.

Reply To This Message

Author: CrazyIvan (TX)

The bugs crawl in, the bugs crawl out.. sometimes what we don't know is best for us. (p.s - never bring a blacklight into your clean kitchen. LOL)

Reply To This Message

Author: LemonPlumber (FL)

Crazy thought that was always.I love my all white kitchen!

Reply To This Message

Author: mr leak (CA)

You must have alot of free time Melody. This bug was going down the drain then changed his mind You just assumed he was comming upwards

Reply To This Message

Note: Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.

Warning: Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.

Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.

Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try Heatinghelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Please visit:
FAMOUS PLUMBINGSUPPLY the award winning plumbing, kitchen and bath catalog. The largest selection of plumbing products and supplies on the net with pver 1,600 pages in our online plumbing catalog. Since 1995 the PlumbingSupply Group has been serving the entire Internet community.

Click here to view our old forum messages

Please visit:
FAMOUS PLUMBINGSUPPLY the award winning plumbing, kitchen and bath catalog. The largest selection of plumbing products and supplies on the net with over 1,600 pages in our online plumbing catalog. Since 1995 the PlumbingSupply Group has been serving the entire Internet community.

to: Contact Us
to: Plumbing Manufacturers Address Directory
to: Plumbing Links Site
to: theplumber.com
to: Plbg Statistics
to: our FAQ's
to: Advisor List
to: How to show an image
to: Tankless Water Heaters
to: Common Plumbing Terms