Welcome to Plbg.com Welcome to the Popular Plumbing, Kitchen, Bath Advice Site
  We're sponsored by:
The Leading Online Plumbing Supplier Since 1995
www.PlumbingForum.com
THE Dynamic Plumbing, Kitchen and Bath, Information, Advice and Sharing Forum

Over 520,000 Posts in over 150k Threads

By far the most popular positive STRICTLY PLUMBING INFORMATION SHARING FORUM board on the Net. Ask any toilet, sink, faucet, pump, water quality and other plumbing related questions here. Plumbing professional and DIY tips, tricks, shortcuts, remodeling, plumbing advice forum and blog. Please refrain from asking business, pricing, legal or any other non strictly plumbing related questions and we also ask for only positive comments and no advertising. 

New TopicSearchLog In Newest Messages
 MA Plumbing Code - Min Offset
Author: ravalhardikm (MA)

Hello All,

I work in a municipality and have a quick question to those with the knowledge of Plumbing Code (Preferably Massachusetts).

Is there a requirement about minimum offset from the lowest house plumbing fixture to the town sewer main? The link below contains a hand drawn image which should explain my question in detail.

[picasaweb.google.com]

We are thinking of incorporating that into our sewer design standards. Any input is appreciated.

Thanks

Reply To This Message

Re: MA Plumbing Code - Min Offset
Author: packy (MA)

in massachusetts, plumbers are responsible for the pipes for a distance of 10 feet beyond the foundation wall. after that, a licensed sewer contractor takes over.
for that reason, i don't believe the plumbing code addresses that issue.

Reply To This Message

Author: jimmy-o (CA)

And the op describes himself as a "sewer engineer" ( on another forum ) so I would think he should know the answer!!!!!

Reply To This Message

Author: hj (AZ)

There is no way that requirement could be enforced. To do so would automatically, require an entire residence to be elevated if the lot's surface, which normally establishes the height of the connections to it, were below what the ordinance would require. The closest thing that comes to it, is the requirement that if the plumbing is lower than the rim of an upstream manhole, then a backwater valve is required.

Reply To This Message

Here the plumber is responsible for the sewer to the properly line.

Reply To This Message

Author: Nayman's Drain Services (Non-US)

Plumber is responsible for point where drain turns into sewer. (1 meter/3 feet)

---------------

Reply To This Message

Author: LemonPlumber (FL)

developed but length less 18"max foot per foot,?Do you mean uphill?4 inch at or near 1/16 per foot is greater than needed so if Mas. would not except it ,the state is second.,Minus a vent .You showed a wall to enclose a fixture.with out a three inch vent.Would never have time spent.If the fixture alone could be dropped indirectly out side only the full size trap .Freeze is not really covered!Sorry have no real mass. experience.You need a vent.maybe more than that.Maybe by exception less.mass plumbers are always watching!

Edited 1 times.

Reply To This Message

Author: Nayman's Drain Services (Non-US)

hey Lemon,
wanna translate so we can understand?
I'd like to know the answer too, but it don't make sense in rhyme

---------------

Reply To This Message

Lemon, you do not even understand the original question. It had NOTHING to do with the piping inside the building, vents, or anything else. 1/16" pitch is ONLY allowed for 6" and larger, unless it has a mechanical engineer's design and approval stamp.

Reply To This Message

Thanks Lemon but this is a generic drawing that I scribbled just for this question. I understand the need for a vent etc. But my concern is different.

If the lowest fixture does not have enough slop to the main then any backup in main would cause sewer backup in the house. We are concerned that if such backups arise then the town will be held responsible for allowing such fixtures. So I want to know if there is any standard/rule in the plumbing code which addresses this.

Reply To This Message

Packy, I don't think you understand the question. This has nothing to do with the pipe slope and who takes what responsibility. It is about the lowest a fixture can be installed in comparison with the sewer main.

Edited 1 times.

Reply To This Message

thanks jimmy-o, great answer, just what I was looking for. BTW I have not described myself as "sewer engineer" any where.

Reply To This Message

Author: jimmy-o (CA)

Nothing was intended to offend....but apparently this is someone else by the same name, who asked the same question:

About ravalhardikm
How did you find @#$%&?
google search
What is your Plumbing related field/trade:
Sewer Engineer

Reply To This Message

quote; If the lowest fixture does not have enough slope to the main then any backup in main would cause sewer backup in the house.

Again, that is a function of how high the HOUSE is above the main, since the fixtures are set in place inside it. The common answer is that any fixture BELOW the main requires a sewage pump. and if the relative elevation of the upstream manhole, which is what determines the "flood level" for that building, is such that the structure is lower than that, then a backwater valve, or other flood control, is required, or is at least advisable, inside the building. Your question is flawed, because the elevation of fixtures in the house AT the point of connection, has nothing to do with the possibility of the building flooding during a backflow, or overloaded, condition. The sewers will "back up" until they find a "relief" point which is normally the lowest manhole rim above the flooded section.

Reply To This Message

Any failure understood, could not be plumbed to!Indirect is the installed only protect.Any other would be reject.Back fall at a city tap is not their problem/until you report it!!!!!.you could only ask to correct.The post seems to wonder, as I am now.Is the city sewer at or in your house? Suspect that you need to know.where your sewerage ends and the cities show,s.Sorry .

Reply To This Message

Nayman,Here we,ll also run the buildings sewer.Responsible for that to a city tap often thirty meters instead.To the city tap we go.but from the start you must know!Is it the city or yours.Fall as set is just downward and as little as installing can get.Knowing why will make the average inspector die!Indirect done correctly will make them sigh.Frost baffled receivers .I don,t want to try.

Reply To This Message

Note: Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.

Warning: Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.

Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.

Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try Heatinghelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Click here to view our old forum messages

to: Contact Us
to: Plumbing Manufacturers Address Directory
to: Plumbing Links Site
to: How to show an image
to: theplumber.com
to: Plbg Statistics
to: our FAQ's
to: Advisor List
to: Common Plumbing Terms
We're sponsored by:
  We're sponsored by:

Copyright© 2014 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.