Welcome to Plbg.com Welcome to the Popular Plumbing, Kitchen, Bath Advice Site
  We're sponsored by:
The Leading Online Plumbing Supplier Since 1995
www.PlumbingForum.com
THE Dynamic Plumbing, Kitchen and Bath, Information, Advice and Sharing Forum

Over 520,000 Posts in over 150k Threads

By far the most popular positive STRICTLY PLUMBING INFORMATION SHARING FORUM board on the Net. Ask any toilet, sink, faucet, pump, water quality and other plumbing related questions here. Plumbing professional and DIY tips, tricks, shortcuts, remodeling, plumbing advice forum and blog. Please refrain from asking business, pricing, legal or any other non strictly plumbing related questions and we also ask for only positive comments and no advertising. 

New TopicSearchLog In Newest Messages
 rushing noise behind shower wall.
Author: joe517 (CA)

I know its been along time but this still is not resolved. The noise is getting louder. Still no water showing up any where I can find. I turn off water heater no difference. Turn off cold water to softener and no change. Turn off water to front of house and noise is greatly reduced but does not go away. Turn off water at street and noise goes away. Noise is only at shower up stairs in wall and directly below it down stairs. I can hear it in wall in kitchen but not on other side of kitchen. I turn off water heater valve to house and wait 10 min, I still have some pressure with water for a short while. My gas bill is up but water bill is not. I have a swimming pool adjacent to the wall in question but I see nothing out of the ordinary. I called leak detection and got different answers, they said it could be hard to find. Any help anyone can give would be greatly appreciated. Is there any other way of isolating this leak or detecting it. Thank You Joseph

Edited 1 times.

Reply To This Message

Re: rushing noise behind shower wall.
Author: Shoemaker2 (MA)

Yours is a tough one to crack without being on site to hear ourselves. Have you tried shutting off all the toilet stops and see if noise stops. Do you have underground sprinkler lines? Is there any water lines running through slabs or crawlspaces you haven't checked?

Reply To This Message

I have under ground sprinkler pipes. Could this be the cause of this sound . They have leaked before but made no sound inside of house. I turned off the toliets all 4 and made no difference. I have somebody coming to detect the leak on sunday morning. They told me over the phone it was aslab leak. I am hopeing for something less costly but if that is it then I'll deal with it . I will try to do it my self. Can you give me any more ideas on how to locate it. Joe

Reply To This Message

Author: phillyplbg (PA)

do you have a hot water return line?

Reply To This Message

There is one more thing that is strange. We have a pool and we can not find the shut off valve for the supply. There is a floating valve for keeping it at level. I removed the valve and put a cap to see if that was the problem but it made no difference. There is no noise out by the pool but it is next to wall that is making the noise. I believe water from the house feeds the pool through the valve. When I shut off both valves to the house most sound stops but not all. At that point there is no water in the house except one faucet in the kitchen. That one can not be turned off except by the street key valve. I believe the leak is somewhere in that kitchen pipe and or the feed pipe to the pool. Have you ever seen this? Joe

Reply To This Message

No we do not have a hot water return line.

Reply To This Message

Author: Shoemaker2 (MA)

I have seen leaks in slabs for sure. Did you try and shut off the supply to the irrigation system and see if that stops it?

Reply To This Message

Author: SMSPlumbing (PA)

Turn off all the water that comes into the home. There should be a main valve that stops it from going to all of your sources. Listen then.

Another thing, do you have an air conditioning unit in the attic? Maybe it could be the refrigerant going through the pipes to the unit.

Reply To This Message

Author: hj (AZ)

If it were a slab leak, turning off the water AT the house would stop it. If you turn off the water to the heater and the faucets still flow hot water, then you have a crossover, and it could still be a slab leak without a good way to isolate it.

Reply To This Message

You would have a VERY stange plumbing system if the kitchen faucet could only be turned off by the curb stop. You need someone there, on site, to check it out. The leak locator, but NOT a plumber who says he has leak locating "equipment", may be the best option if you DO have a slab leak, because he would be able to pinpoint the location.

Edited 1 times.

Reply To This Message

Author: dlh (TX)

you have a slab leak and it is right under or close to being right under that wall. the valve you shut off in front of the house is most likely a gate valve and it didn't close 100% so the flow was restricted and that caused the noise to still be present but less loud. shutting off at the meter worked and stopped the flow of water completely thus no more noise. i will go out on a limb and say this is a leak on a cold water line or you have a bad valve at the water heater

- - - - - - -

PLUMBERS "Protecting The Health Of The Nation"

Reply To This Message

Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

I was thiking the same as dlh. The vavle in front of the house is not shutting the water off completely, but the one at the street is.

Edited 1 times.

Reply To This Message

I will replace the valve at the front of the house and the water heater. First I will go through all steps to isolate the leaks again. I will find the shut off for the kitchen faucet, it is strange it does not turn off with the rest of the house. I cannot find the water shut off for the In ground pool, I'll try again. I will recheck the sprinkler system. I found (American leak detector), they do only leaks, but he did say he would go over the available options for repair after he finds the leak. They gaurante to find the leak or find again for 30 days. I cancelled my appointment with the leak detector/plumber for sunday. I will have 1 and 1/2 days to work on this before monday. I'm still looking for the best option for leak detection in my area. I have not been able to locate any co. that just does leaks. Thank You for the advice. Joe

Edited 2 times.

Reply To This Message

It appears the your American Leak Detection, does just do that, from what you said. If they just do leaks, then they have MANY options to locate it and the knowledge of how to use the equipment. Most "leak locating plumbers" just have an ultra sound detector which is like using "Flintstone" equipment.

Reply To This Message

Note: Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.

Warning: Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.

Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.

Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try Heatinghelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Click here to view our old forum messages

to: Contact Us
to: Plumbing Manufacturers Address Directory
to: Plumbing Links Site
to: How to show an image
to: theplumber.com
to: Plbg Statistics
to: our FAQ's
to: Advisor List
to: Common Plumbing Terms
We're sponsored by:
  We're sponsored by:

Copyright© 2014 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.