Welcome to Plbg.com Welcome to the Popular Plumbing, Kitchen, Bath Advice Site
  We're sponsored by:
The Leading Online Plumbing Supplier Since 1995
www.PlumbingForum.com
THE Dynamic Plumbing, Kitchen and Bath, Information, Advice and Sharing Forum

Over 525,000 Posts in over 155k Threads

The most popular positive STRICTLY PLUMBING INFORMATION SHARING FORUM board on the Net. Ask any toilet, sink, faucet, pump, water quality and other plumbing related questions here. Plumbing professional and DIY tips, tricks, shortcuts, remodeling, plumbing advice forum and blog. Please refrain from asking business, pricing, contractor referrals, legal or any other non strictly plumbing related questions keeping all positive and with no advertising. 

New TopicSearchLog In Newest Messages
 Need to tap into copper water lines...
Author: bassadict69 (LA)

I am having a trench dug this week so I can run water to my shed from the house. Looking at things, it appears that the easiest thing to do will be to tap into the hot and the cold water lines on top of my hot water heater. Both those lines are copper? Is it possible to tap into those? What do I need? What would be best to run underground to the shed?

I am in N.W. La so freezing of below ground pipes really is not a problem.

Reply To This Message

Re: Need to tap into copper water lines...
Author: SMSPlumbing (PA)

Call a professional. If you do not know how to tie into copper, then you are way over your head. Sorry to sound mean. But seriously reconsider doing it your self.

Reply To This Message

I have done it once...watched a youtube video, then did it hooking up a friends water heater! LOL!! There was nothing to it really.

I just do not know what material to use to run the lines underground, and therefore, how to tap that into the copper lines...

Reply To This Message

Author: jimmy-o (CA)

First..... there are a lot of Utube videos around that are just horrible....so don't think that will make the job!

However, for your job, running either rolled soft copper or PEX underground will "git'r done". Either could be tied to the pipes at the water heater using Sharks.

If this was a project inside your house, based on your inexperience, you have noticed a lot of votes against! But I accept DIY as fact of life. ( the carpenter's union may not be happy with some things I do at my own house!) and this job has minimal downside as a DIY project.

Reply To This Message

I am bad about always trying to DIY and always swear I will never do it again when that 30 minute job took me 4 hours, but I always manage to pull it off and then the next time something comes up, I am right back there DIY and cursing because it is taking me so long & I am running into so many problems! I will probably never learn my lesson...

This is in the house, but it is in the utility room which has a simple concrete floor that tapers slightly down in the center to a floor drain! What is the worse that can happen? LOL!

Reply To This Message

Never mind...you don't have to answer that!!!!

Reply To This Message

For the copper, use k copper. It is thicker and designed for underground. I have never put pex underground so I can not advise you as to what to use. There is also Black Poly pipe. Use 160 psi. You would just use either female or male X insert barb to connect.

Reply To This Message

Author: hj (AZ)

Tapping into the lines is one thing, the type of lines is another, and they are separate decisions which have NOTHING to do with each other.

Reply To This Message

I seldom use black poly pipe, in fact just once, but I am not sure if it is suitable for hot water, since they use hot water to soften it for the insertion fittings.

Reply To This Message

Author: dlh (TX)

getting the line from the inside to the outside will be the hardest part depending on what you want it to look like. if just taking it through the wall and then down into the ground make sure to insulate the exposed piping. if wanting to take it into the concrete and out under the floor you probably have a grade beam at the perimeter of the foundation and depending on how they poured it, the beam could be anywhere from 12" to 20" thick and up to 2' deep

- - - - - - -

PLUMBERS "Protecting The Health Of The Nation"

Reply To This Message

Will definitely be simply going through the brick then down to the ground.

Looks like several opinions on what to run underground...

Reply To This Message

My trench is dug...now all I need to do is make the decision on what to do! I am thinking I will run either PEX or CPVC since either one are good with the Shark's. From what I can tell, both those and copper are all workable with the Shark fittings. Looks like 3/4 on top of my water heater...that sound right?

Reply To This Message

Author: jimmy-o (CA)

3/4 copper is exactly 7/8" OD, but the parallax in the picture is affecting what we see. It can't really be anything else.

Most codes don't want plastic connected directly to the tp....we would like to see 18" of copper before plastic comes into the picture.

Reply To This Message

So should I use a copper T, then use copper through the wall to the outside & convert to the other on the outside of the wall?

Reply To This Message

Author: proplumbing (OR)

Hire a professional.......Please

Reply To This Message

I take it this site is full of professionals rather than do it yourselfers...I did get a quote on simply tieing into the copper lines & installing the valves, I was going to run it the rest of the way myself...$225!!! No thanks!! I think I can figure it out!

I have done a lot of things myself around the house simply by researching and asking LOTS of questions before I got started!

Reply To This Message

Yes it is, but it would be, unless you had an extremely large water heater. You do not have a lot of pipe to work with, so you are going to have to be creative to get the tees into those lines, because there appears to be ZERO room to flex them to insert the tees.

Reply To This Message

I would use copper ANYWHERE the piping is exposed and could be damaged, meaning until it goes underground. The same applies to the power to your heater. The wire is supposed to be enclosed in a flexible metal sheath, such as Greenfield.

Edited 1 times.

Reply To This Message

In your case $225.00 may have been cheap to get the tees installed.

Reply To This Message

Quote "I take it this site is full of professionals rather than do it yourselfers..."

I would hope so. I would never ask a DIY person to tell me how to do a job correctly. If I had a question about tearing out the transmission on the car,, I would not ask a bunch of guys who tried one and got lucky. I would rather hear it from guys who have been trained and have done a lot of them. I know my limits and somethings are just not for the DIY person.

When you get a price from someone, that price includes more than just a couple of tees and solder and valves. Don't forget about the insurance, the vehicle that got them there, the training and knowledge. There are many factors for a quote. And when it comes to plumbing, there is the correct way, and then there is the "oops I flooded my house" or "I cantaminated the plumbing sy

Reply To This Message

quote: or "I cantaminated the plumbing sy

Or, "I contaminated the whole neighborhood's water supply system."

Reply To This Message

For those that responded with more than "hire a professional"...THANK YOU!!!!!!

I will be attempting this myself in the next week. I will post up the final results, good or bad!!!

Reply To This Message

Author: LemonPlumber (FL)

Two 3/4"x3/4:x1/2"copper tees.two 3/4"street 90,s and two copper /repair,roll-free stop-less\ couplings.Done.effective draining the water from the connection points.would be the failure point.shut off the power .gas .drain the heater half way and pin open the relief when connecting the new tee,s.

Reply To This Message

Author: Don411 (KY)

Only way to get a Tee in that pipe is going to be to cut out the vertical section, unthread the fitting from the weater heater, and rebuild the connection from the elbow down with a Tee in the equation. I would also use a union on both hot and cold so the water heater doesn't need to be cut out to be replaced.

Reply To This Message

Author: LemonPlumber (FL)

Don wrong!

Reply To This Message

Note: Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.

Warning: Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.

Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.

Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try Heatinghelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Click here to view our old forum messages

to: Contact Us
to: Plumbing Manufacturers Address Directory
to: Plumbing Links Site
to: How to show an image
to: theplumber.com
to: Plbg Statistics
to: our FAQ's
to: Advisor List
to: Common Plumbing Terms
We're sponsored by:
  We're sponsored by:

Copyright© 2014 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.