Welcome to Plbg.com Welcome to the Popular Plumbing, Kitchen, Bath Advice Site
  We're sponsored by:
The Leading Online Plumbing Supplier Since 1995
www.PlumbingForum.com
THE Dynamic Plumbing, Kitchen and Bath, Information, Advice and Sharing Forum

Over 525,000 Posts in over 155k Threads

The most popular positive STRICTLY PLUMBING INFORMATION SHARING FORUM board on the Net. Ask any toilet, sink, faucet, pump, water quality and other plumbing related questions here. Plumbing professional and DIY tips, tricks, shortcuts, remodeling, plumbing advice forum and blog. Please refrain from asking business, pricing, contractor referrals, legal or any other non strictly plumbing related questions keeping all positive and with no advertising. 

New TopicSearchLog In Newest Messages
 Running copper pipe through a block wall
Author: sum (FL)

I have a situation where I am running a 3/4" copper pipe along (horizontally) a 4" thick block wall on the garage side, then I want to make a turn and run it THROUGH the block wall through a hole and out the other side, and as soon as it comes out, I want to make a turn to run vertically down.

Kind of like a zig-zag.

I need the pipes on both side to tightly hug the wall, no extra space.

How would I solder such a configuration? One end of each joint is inside of the block. I can solder one joint then insert it, but I can't reach and solder the inside end of the other joint. I don't want to bust open a large hole just to be able to solder it. Is this where I need to use a female threaded elbow with a male adapter to the pipe?

I can't think of a way to make the soldering solution work.

Reply To This Message

Re: Running copper pipe through a block wall
Author: hj (AZ)

If I interpret it correctly, do not solder the section along the wall until after you have soldered both pieces into the elbow, then pull it back and insert the length into whatever fitting you have and solder that one.

Reply To This Message

This is what I mean.

I cannot reach the inside of one of the two elbows. Not without making a much bigger hole on one side. I want the pipes to run along the wall.

Edited 1 times.

Reply To This Message

Author: LemonPlumber (FL)

Funny?

Reply To This Message

Author: SMSPlumbing (PA)

Solder one 90 on and cut the length that you need to reach the other. Finish the complete solder on the first 90 and then make a little bit larger hole to solder the second 90. Are you running a sleeve for this? It would not be a clean look, but you could use sharkbite 90s. You just will not be able to release the back side of them if you need to repair that pipe for some reason.

Reply To This Message

Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

Here in NC we would have to use a sleeve to run the pipe thru. I'd use a sleeve thats big enough for a 3/4" copper 90 to slide thru, solder both 90's on the short piece, slip it thru the sleeve , then sweat in the pipes that run along the wall. Fill the void in the sleeve and you're done.

Reply To This Message

Author: dlh (TX)

make the piece through the wall longer and then add a few fittings to get it back to the wall

- - - - - - -

PLUMBERS "Protecting The Health Of The Nation"

Reply To This Message

Author: asktom (MT)

Go through the wall with a brass nipple and put a C X FIP 90 on each end.

Reply To This Message

No way to do it without making a deeper hole on one side or the other. It doesn't have to be much larger than what you need to feed the solder into the joint.

Reply To This Message

Author: Nayman's Drain Services (Non-US)

Understandably a problem.
Piping of any sort has to be sleeved here. Have you thought of a piece of 1 1/2 ABS in the wall?
Solder your piping, slide thru & finish soldering on other side of wall. Insert Insulating foam after, and cut to clean up after it dries.
S/B will also work, but like was said, impossible to get off afterwards.
Good luck with this one.

How about posting some more pix?
We're curious as to how you're making out.

---------------

Reply To This Message

I end up making one hole much bigger than I wanted to and did it that way.

By the way, On one of the elbows, I applied flux to the female fitting end but forgot to apply flux to the male pipe. I didn't realized it until it was all done. Only one end of one pipe, but the whole contraption is already done, that it would be A LOT OF effort to take it apart just to redo it to make sure. It seem to take the solder OK...how big of a risk is it for me to leave it like this? I can't test it yet until I am all done with the entire room.

Reply To This Message

I will not make much difference .It either was clean and took or it would not have taken the 3/4"of solder as applied when heated.

Reply To This Message

What size furring strips do you attach to the block wall if you are running 3/4" pipes across the wall?

The fittings for 3/4" is even bigger than 3/4" and since block walls have some uneven-ness, I need to use 1" or 1.5" thick furring strips for mounting of the cement board or sheet rock?

Reply To This Message

That would be some humungous sleeve to allow a 3/4" elbow to slide through it. It would take even a larger opening than he would need to solder the 90's in the wall.

Reply To This Message

It depends on how well you cleaned the pipe. Some flux should have transferred from the fitting to the tubing, and as long as the copper was well cleaned, it should have made an okay joint.

Reply To This Message

The fittings are 1" thick, so the only "dressed" lumber that works would be 2 x something, depending on how wide you need them.

Reply To This Message

Sum.you may consider PT deck boards as a use product."the nail plates will hold.This can be ripped to fir width.Remember to isolate the copper from the block and the masonry board.Plastic tape or sleeving.

Reply To This Message

Note: Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.

Warning: Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.

Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.

Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try Heatinghelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Click here to view our old forum messages

to: Contact Us
to: Plumbing Manufacturers Address Directory
to: Plumbing Links Site
to: How to show an image
to: theplumber.com
to: Plbg Statistics
to: our FAQ's
to: Advisor List
to: Common Plumbing Terms
We're sponsored by:
  We're sponsored by:

Copyright© 2014 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.