Welcome to Plbg.com Welcome to the Popular Plumbing, Kitchen, Bath Advice Site
  We're sponsored by:
Buy plumbing supplies online
www.PlumbingForum.com
THE Dynamic Plumbing, Kitchen and Bath, Information, Advice and Sharing Forum

Over 525,000 Posts in over 155k Threads

The most popular positive STRICTLY PLUMBING INFORMATION SHARING FORUM board on the Net. Ask any toilet, sink, faucet, pump, water quality and other plumbing related questions here. Plumbing professional and DIY tips, tricks, shortcuts, remodeling, plumbing advice forum and blog. Please refrain from asking business, pricing, contractor referrals, legal or any other non strictly plumbing related questions keeping all positive and with no advertising. 

New TopicSearchLog In Newest Messages
 No Cold Shower - Moen
Author: muppetfan (PA)

I have begun to have no cold water in my single faucet MOEN tub/shower (Adler Model) just warm and HOT. I called Moen to get a new cartridge (assuming that was the problem). I replaced the cartridge today but still no cold. I turned off my hot water completely to see what I was getting. The cold trickles through. I removed the cartridge and I turned the water (cold only) back on. I get PLENTY of water (sprayed everywhere) Put the cartridge back in...trickle. Am I missing something? Could I have gotten a bad replacement cartridge from MOEN? I have 3 young children and don't want them to get burned; but I'm unemployed and can't afford a plumber...plus this seems like it should be an easy fix. ANY help would be greatly appreciated.

Reply To This Message

Re: No Cold Shower - Moen
Author: SMSPlumbing (PA)

I dont know if you have a balancing spool. If you have a 1222 cartridge, when you have it out tap it on a hard surface. Maybe the spool is stuck. You should be able to hear the spool move when you shake the cartridge.

Reply To This Message

Author: hj (AZ)

If you have a Positemp valve the new cartridge should have fixed it. BUT, if you have a Moentrol, which seems to be the case, then there is a second part, the balancing spool, that has to be changed. To find out if you have one, you have to remove the large round plate and see if you have a piece with a screwdriver slot on the valve body to the right of the stem.

Reply To This Message

The Model I have is the Adler (which is a Positemp). the new (and the old) cartridge sounded like a spray paint can when I shook it. the OLD one had a piece of "o" ring fall out of it while I was shaking it. I am completely baffled here. The water is DEFINITELY getting to the cartridge just not past it. (I even tried leaving the water on and removing the pin and slowly pulling out the cartridge...water spray everywhere... It looks like both hot and cold would evit through a small hole in the back...there's nothing dividing the water down that hole as far as I can tell...

Reply To This Message

It sounds like it is still within the cartridge. You can take the cartridge apart. Its not complicated. Hold the outside of the cartridge and push the metal stem back through the houseing. You can clean them up, if anything is in there.

Reply To This Message

Author: LemonPlumber (FL)

Sorry to hear about the replacement not working.Test flow with the center balancer removed.water heater valve off as you did before.This step removes the balancer from the test.You may find if your delivered hot water temp is above 135 degrees the limited cold only flow is not working with very hot supply temps.Do set the scald gaurd tab if only children use this bath valve.

Reply To This Message

Author: twiedel (MD)

if wou can disassemble your pressure balance componant and clean it out using white viniger and something to scrub off the build up, it will work like new...worked for me

Reply To This Message

Thanks. I'll give it a try. I am confused though as if the hot water is completely turned off; shouldn't the cold flow without any problem? It basically trickles out. and yet if I pull the clip and pull the cart out a bit the cold sprays out from behind. Since this is a new (November 2009) system and a single unit (can't take anything apart except pulling the cartridge) taking it apart seems like it would be impossible (and unnecessary - not enough time for buildup to occur). I have not heard back from MOEN as of yet as to how THEY might propose to fix this.

Reply To This Message

The cartridge will only work when there is pressure from both hot and cold. What is happening is that the balancing spool is stuck. This will stop one temp from flowing completely and give you the symptoms you are seeing. When you take the cartridge out, then the water is not restricted anymore. That is why the cold sprays full force. Sometimes I have been successful with taking the handle and turing it from cold to hot really fast several times. Sometimes the water pressure frees up the spool. Other then that, maybe a new cartridge will work. Third times a charm

Reply To This Message

Oscar it is as easy as taking the lid off the can?remove the stem the back end cap and then the internal spool. reinstall.Now the cold only flow can be tested.Wgn ,chicago and then scholastic and then public television.

Reply To This Message

Look at Lemon with the Sesame Street analogy... :applause:

Reply To This Message

OK. I tried your suggestion and pulled out the plastic piece inside the cartridge (the thing that makes the noise when you shake it). Put the cartridge back in with both hot and cold on and I got perfectly warm water. Turned off the hot and cold flowed freely. I called MOEN again (as they never actually responded last time...)they are "expediting (to arrive Friday) a new cartridge. They agreed that it sounded like the replacement cartridge had an issue. I'll post again once it arrives and let you all know what happens. HOPEFULLY all will be fixed...:) THANKS A LOT!

Reply To This Message

Hope you catch a break :)

Reply To This Message

OK...MOEN actually sent me 2 cartridges ( looks like 1 repack and 1 new) in 2 separate shipments... I installed the repack and it seems to be working. the water will go from hot to cold pretty quick (1/4 of the way around the water is hot); and there is no real "Warm" but there is definitely a COLD option now. I'll call my oil company out to look at my heater and see if the hot water can be set (if its wrong).

Reply To This Message

Author: dlh (TX)

moen would not send a "repack" out i'll bet you have 2 different cartridges as they werent sure how old of a unit you have

- - - - - - -

PLUMBERS "Protecting The Health Of The Nation"

Reply To This Message

DLH.them sent the plastic barrel first.Then the black steal monitor.You may wish to know why.

Reply To This Message

I had read on another board about people getting "repacks" from MOEN. The 1st shipment I received was just a cartridge in an envelope. No packing list or note...just the cartridge. The second shipment was EXACTLY like the original replacement ( an envelope with a small "ziplock" type bag with a cartridge, packing list and directions on replacing the cartridge). The cartridge in the "repack" type shipment had a red mark on the white plastic part. The cartridges look identical to me and I told every MOEN rep that I spoke with that I bought the faucet in November of '09 @ Lowes so I'm pretty sure they knew how old the faucet was. Thanks for all the help though. It is still working now and kids are getting safe temperature baths again.

Reply To This Message

Note: Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.

Warning: Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.

Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.

Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try Heatinghelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Click here to view our old forum messages

to: Contact Us
to: Plumbing Manufacturers Address Directory
to: Plumbing Links Site
to: How to show an image
to: theplumber.com
to: Plbg Statistics
to: our FAQ's
to: Advisor List
to: Common Plumbing Terms
We're sponsored by:
  We're sponsored by:

Copyright© 2014 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.