Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Can/should I replace my faucets on a tiled-in roman tub?
Author: AMG (CA)

I bought my home last year which was built in 1994. All the fixtures in the house were original and they are pretty crappy (and not current decor). I went through and replaced all 5 bathroom faucets, the sink, garbage disposal, basket, etc. all on my own (good for DIY new home owner).

My big tub in the master bedroom has been a different story. There is no access panel anywhere on the tub. It is completely tiled in. I would love to just replace the whole faucet fixture with something more current, and what would work better/smoother. My concern though is that the only way I can get in to it is to cut through the tile. I have no tile experience so I am concerned. I thought I would ask your opinion on this and with your experience and expertise you may have some feedback for me.

It seems very solid when i bang on the tile with my fist, so I figure there has to be some solid backing behind the tile. Maybe it was floated on and so it is pretty thick? maybe not? no idea...

Can (should) I use an angle grinder with a diamond tip wheel and try to cut along the grout line in maybe a 12"x12" pattern. Would I be able to cut through the tile through the backer and remove one solid piece from the tub? I figure if I could, then I could see directly in to the tub, be able to access the tub from underneath and swap out the fixtures. Then I could try to apply some 2x2 post behind on the edges and re-insert the 12"x12" cut-out so that it slides nicely back in where it was cut out of. Maybe then I could very carefully apply a coat of white silicon in to the crack, wipe it off with a sponge and make it look "as clean as possible". In a pinch (a leak, problem, etc.) I could simply remove that access panel and have visibility to the bottom of the tub again. Does this sound logical? is it recommended? what problems might I encounter? What other suggestions might you have?

Re: Can/should I replace my faucets on a tiled-in roman tub?
Author: PlumberManDan (IA)

To remove that faucet YOU WILL have some tile work for someone to do, Or you could find a nice looking door to replace the tile you have to remove to access the faucet

PlumbCat TM 2003

Plumbermandan

Author: dlh (TX)

cut along grout lines and make an access from that because you have to remove tiles to repair or replace that valve

- - - - - - -

PLUMBERS "Protecting The Health Of The Nation"

I am okay with cutting along the grout. I like the idea of having some access panel as if i ever had a leak there or something I need to get in there, without that access panel, I am stuck.

So since I have never worked with tile (but I know the principles and am very DIY savvy). How thick do you guys think this is? Is it typically a bunch of 2x4's that support dry wall with some backer that the tile is applied to, or did they float on a concrete kind of substance, then the tile to that and then grouted? Would cutting through that with an angle grinder and a diamond blade be the best approach?

You mention find a door? I thought making the door out of the perfect 12"x12" (or whatever size of tiles I decide to cut) would be a good idea, but we'll see.

Author: packy (MA)

here, an access door is required..
anyway, i can't tell what kind of faucets those are?? delta maybe??? but if the appropriate trim is available for it, you may not have to remove the faucet, just change the trim..

Author: hj (AZ)

qquote; because you have to remove tiles to repair or replace that valve

You do NOT have to remove tiles to REPAIR that valve, or any other one. And by the time he needs to replace this new valve, he will probably want to retile anyway.

Author: jimmy-o (CA)

Yes it is repairable, and that may be the reasonable course of action in the short term.

If you are really bothered by the style, then cut away! If you are cautios, the with a rotozip you might be able to remove a 6 tile by 6 tile square intact, and frame that panel in as a replacement access.

Author: Nayman's Drain Services (Non-US)

And what is wrong with cutting an access thru the wall to the left, directly behind the tub?
Going thru drywall, and adding an access door there will save you from having to cut any tile at all. seems to me that you would/could have the same space to access your faucet set as cutting tile.

That's tile on the left side as well. That is the master shower. By cutting in there, it would be less visible, but it would be pounded by water daily and I thought it best to leave that in tact and alone. There is an access panel outside the house on the back, but that would not lead me in to where the faucet is, but likely leads to where the pump is for the whirlpool tub. Too bad.

I called Moen and they said i can replace the cartridges and the trim kit to get it to look how i want with new handles or even a new spout. since this uses the compression setup their new stuff is fully compatible. I am going to try to go this route and not have to cut tile. thank you!

Author: hj (AZ)

One other consideration with a Moen valve is WHEN the rough valve was installed. If it was put in before the tiling, there is a "backup" plates on the stems and spout which are screwed to the deck, and that would require removing the tiles around the stems and spout to get them out. Their purpose was to position and secure the valves and spout rough assemblies while the tiling was being done.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

go to an actual plumbing supply showroom with a good picture and the brand and installation date and they can show you a catalogue of multiple 'trim' options which can be done w/o any tile work

any 'trim ring' should not (but may actually be) in the way ... that would be a task for the 'surgical use' of a roto-zip ... you sound like you can handle this task

Edited 1 times.

Author: Mama G (CA)

I have same issue. Wondering if it worked out for the initial poster.

Author: Mama G (CA)

Did this work out for you?

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.