Welcome to Plbg.com
Welcome to the Popular Plumbing, Kitchen, Bath Advice Site
Special thanks to:
FAMOUS PLUMBINGSUPPLY the award winning plumbing, kitchen and bath catalog. The largest selection of plumbing products and supplies on the net with over 1,600 pages. Since 1995 the PlumbingSupply Group has been serving the entire Internet community.
www.PlumbingForum.com
THE Dynamic Plumbing, Kitchen and Bath, Information, Advice and Sharing Forum
click here to learn how to show an image on PLBG.com

Over 515,000 Posts in over 150k Threads

By far the most popular STRICTLY PLUMBING INFORMATION SHARING FORUM board on the Net. Ask any toilet, sink, faucet, pump, water quality and other plumbing related questions here. Plumbing professional and DIY tips, tricks, shortcuts, remodeling, plumbing advice forum and blog. Please refrain from asking business, pricing, legal or any other non strictly plumbing related questions. 

New TopicSearchLog In Newest Messages
 having to plunge toilet after every use
Author: ashleyp (Non-US)

a few weeks ago, we were faced with a clogged toilet. we plunged it a little bit, and everything seemed to be fine. a little while later the same thing happened again. we plunged it, and it went back to normal.
now lately, it seems that anytime someone takes a poo, the toilet is clogged and the water rises much too high. i spent about 20 minutes this morning plunging the toilet because of this.
my question is, do i have to get a snake to get rid of this mysterious clog that will obviously not go away on its own? i am certain the clog has been created due to people using paper towel instead of toilet paper a little while ago when we were all out of toilet paper.
also, i have read about using boiling water and soap. will this work as well?

thanks in advance!

Reply To This Message

Re: having to plunge toilet after every use
Author: bernabeu (SC)

purchase a 'toilet auger' and follow the directions

Reply To This Message

Author: hj

Using boiling water might get rid of the problem, because it would crack the toilet and you would have to get a new one. There can be several reasons for your problem, but a "big" snake may not be the cure for it.

Reply To This Message

Author: packy

[www.drainbrain.com]

Reply To This Message

Author: bernabeu (SC)

:) RIGHT ON LINK :)

Reply To This Message

Author: shacko (MD)

>>> i am certain the clog has been created due to people using paper towel instead of toilet paper a little while ago when we were all out of toilet paper<<<

That would be my idea also, those paper towels probably have become a ball down inside your drain pipe, a toilet auger isn't going to fix it, you need the toilet pulled and a snake run down the pipe.

PEE,POO AND TOILET PAPER ARE THE ONLY THINGS THAT SHOULD BE PUT IN YOUR TOILET!!

"If all else fails, read the directions"

Reply To This Message

Author: Wheelchair

Hi Ashley,
You have learned a very valuable lesson about toilets and plumbing. Plunging a toilet doesn't resolve serious issues. Plunging merely pushes the blockage further into the waste line. Yes, I know that common waster and paper towel should glide thru your waste pipes.... but it doesn't and you just proved it again... to the world. I really don't think a toilet auger will serve you best at this time and using boiling water in your toilet will SHOCK the china and crack your toilet. I've actually heard of toilets exploding from boiling waters. ALSO, and this is very important too, DO NOT USE CHEMICALS, they cost money and are useless and possibly harmful to the health of your family.

You have learned your lesson. Now call a licensed plumber who is both trained and certified to correct and clear your waste line. In the end, you will have peace of mind and a toilet that will work as design.
Best Wishes

Reply To This Message

Author: dlh (TX)

my vote is for something being lodged in there and every now and then it turns just right to allow the toilet to actually flush. might just be time to pull it and wrestle with it in the yard

- - - - - - -

PLUMBERS "Protecting The Health Of The Nation"

Reply To This Message

Author: jerco (MD)

I agree with dlh. It's most likely a pen/pencil or a comb that catches solids but will let liquids pass by until more solids are flushed. Pull the toilet, turn it over and you will find the culprit.

Reply To This Message

I had two 1.6 gpf toilets last week which COULD NOT be cleared with the closet auger. One, which I will be replacing today, has a terrible design with two small right angle turns, and the other, a power flush, has "baffles" in the back of the trap which makes spaces too small for a drop head auger to go through it.

Reply To This Message

Some chemicals can act just like hot water and crack the toilet. I once had a toilet that cracked in two right at the water line after chemicals were used in it. I lifted the top section with the tank and seat right off of it.

Reply To This Message

Many years ago, a customer had a toilet which acted like that. I could not see anything inside it to cause the problem so I fished a piece of rope through the toilet and put a 1/2" elbow in the center of it then tried to pull the elbow through the toilet. It would not go and seemed to be catching on something. After numerous "beatings" of the elbow against the object, it came out. It was a metal can of camphor, shaped like a snuff can, and it was completely riddled with rust and holes so it had be in there for a long, long time.

Reply To This Message

Author: dcplumber (CA)

What about the toy soldiers, combs, compacts, small plastic containers, pagers, cell phones, eyeglasses etc.. that make their way into the toilet...I've pulled out sweat pants once out of a 4" clean out...someone worked awfully hard to get those down the line...have your toilet augered out by a pro and be done with it.

Reply To This Message

Author: Nayman's Drain Services (Non-US)

I wont tell you guys some of the stuff I've found, but last week, it was a 23 1/2 foot piece of re-bar.

Reply To This Message

Author: dlh (TX)

"but last week, it was a 23 1/2 foot piece of re-bar"

now how in the world did they get that into a toilet since the toilet isnt nearly that big and has an s-trap?

- - - - - - -

PLUMBERS "Protecting The Health Of The Nation"

Reply To This Message

Author: redmadness (MI)

This happened to us a few years back, (when the kids were smaller) but we used the little plastic cups to rinse with after brushing teeth and one of the kids had dropped one in the toilet instead of plucking it out they decided flushing would be a good idea, NOT the cup would turn every so often and plug the toilet no amount of plunging would fix, the cup cracked and made the situation a little better but eventually toilet had to be removed and there it was right in there by the wax ring, was hard to believe so much trouble from a plastic cup.
Good luck!

Reply To This Message

Author: dcplumber (CA)

Sometimes just when you think you may have it cleared, it happens again and again...almost like there was a flapper inside the w.c. There has been a couple of ocassions over the years when you just cannot get a hold of the obstruction and you really have no choice but to replace it entirely. I go by the theory "Corpus Delicti" nothing pulled out or pushed down the w.c. the problem will persist. Those darn little GI Joes and such like it down there!

Reply To This Message

Author: Nayman's Drain Services (Non-US)

DLH, I wasn't thinking.

I found it in the service out to the street.
Rental house, up & down.

From what we can surmise is that at some point a downstairs tenant had a back up.
Cleared it using the rebar, and found he couldn't pull it back.
I wound up breaking the cement

Reply To This Message

Note: Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.

Warning: Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.

Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.

Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try Heatinghelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Please visit:
FAMOUS PLUMBINGSUPPLY the award winning plumbing, kitchen and bath catalog. The largest selection of plumbing products and supplies on the net with pver 1,600 pages in our online plumbing catalog. Since 1995 the PlumbingSupply Group has been serving the entire Internet community.

Click here to view our old forum messages

Please visit:
FAMOUS PLUMBINGSUPPLY the award winning plumbing, kitchen and bath catalog. The largest selection of plumbing products and supplies on the net with over 1,600 pages in our online plumbing catalog. Since 1995 the PlumbingSupply Group has been serving the entire Internet community.

to: Contact Us
to: Plumbing Manufacturers Address Directory
to: Plumbing Links Site
to: theplumber.com
to: Plbg Statistics
to: our FAQ's
to: Advisor List
to: How to show an image
to: Tankless Water Heaters
to: Common Plumbing Terms