Welcome to Plbg.com Welcome to the Popular Plumbing, Kitchen, Bath Advice Site
  We're sponsored by:
The Leading Online Plumbing Supplier Since 1995
www.PlumbingForum.com
THE Dynamic Plumbing, Kitchen and Bath, Information, Advice and Sharing Forum

Over 520,000 Posts in over 150k Threads

The most popular positive STRICTLY PLUMBING INFORMATION SHARING FORUM board on the Net. Ask any toilet, sink, faucet, pump, water quality and other plumbing related questions here. Plumbing professional and DIY tips, tricks, shortcuts, remodeling, plumbing advice forum and blog. Please refrain from asking business, pricing, contractor referrals, legal or any other non strictly plumbing related questions and we also ask for only positive comments and no advertising. 

New TopicSearchLog In Newest Messages
 hissing noise unless main water valve is shut off
Author: newyork101

Mystery noise in a one story home on concrete slab

Constant hissing sound from undected area unless the water is completely shut off in the house. Then the noise stops.

No leak detected (yet). No dampness anywhere. Just the hissing.
Cannot seem to located the exact area of the noise.
Have checked everything. Have put an ear to sinks, toilets, tubs, water heater etc.
even checked the outside spigots. Nothing found.
Plumber doesn't have a clue.

Any ideas?

About a year ago the main water line from street to house had a leak and the entire line was replaced and the new copper line was brought around the outside of the house and not under the slab. Wouldn't that eliminate the possibility of an under the slab leak?

Edited 1 times.

Reply To This Message

Re: hissing noise unless main water valve is shut off
Author: NICK (CA)

Did a plumber actually come out? You need to go to your water meter and see if there is movement. A plumber should be able to find what is going on.

Reply To This Message

Author: Shoemaker2 (MA)

I would (if you haven't yet) isolate the water heater to determine if it is hot or cold. Good chance you have a leak under the slab if turning off the main make the noise stop and you haven't been able to find it elsewhere. You should also turn off the toilet stops to be sure that is not the cause. Hope for your sake it is not in the slab.

Reply To This Message

Author: hj (AZ)

Get a plumber who DOES have a clue and knows how to diagnose whether you actually have an underslab leak, usually in the hot water piping.

Reply To This Message

Author: pitts1975 (MS)

Plus my hot water heater is making a sound like water is running. Could someone please help me with this.The hissing sound is under my tub, and washer in the laundry room.

Reply To This Message

Hissing noises coming from my electric hot water heater, bath tub, and the laundry room.
Author: pitts1975 (MS)

Plus my hot water heater is making a sound like water is running. Could someone please help me with this.The hissing sound is under my tub, and washer in the laundry room.

Reply To This Message

Note: Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.

Warning: Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.

Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.

Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try Heatinghelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Click here to view our old forum messages

to: Contact Us
to: Plumbing Manufacturers Address Directory
to: Plumbing Links Site
to: How to show an image
to: theplumber.com
to: Plbg Statistics
to: our FAQ's
to: Advisor List
to: Common Plumbing Terms
We're sponsored by:
  We're sponsored by:

Copyright© 2014 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.