Welcome to Plbg.com Welcome to the Popular Plumbing, Kitchen, Bath Advice Site
  We're sponsored by:
The Leading Online Plumbing Supplier Since 1995
www.PlumbingForum.com
THE Dynamic Plumbing, Kitchen and Bath, Information, Advice and Sharing Forum

Over 520,000 Posts in over 150k Threads

The most popular positive STRICTLY PLUMBING INFORMATION SHARING FORUM board on the Net. Ask any toilet, sink, faucet, pump, water quality and other plumbing related questions here. Plumbing professional and DIY tips, tricks, shortcuts, remodeling, plumbing advice forum and blog. Please refrain from asking business, pricing, contractor referrals, legal or any other non strictly plumbing related questions and we also ask for only positive comments and no advertising. 

New TopicSearchLog In Newest Messages
 Kohler tank number k 4512 m9 Is this a low flush model?
Author: brendacat (CA)

I just had an energy audit and the inspector said that I had to replace Kohler toilet (Wellworth model, I think) with the above tank number: k 4512 m9 because it was not a low flush model.

I'm almost sure it is because I replaced all my toilets throughout the house with low flush ones.

Is he right? Or is my memory wrong?

Edited 3 times.

Reply To This Message

Re: Kohler tank number k 4512 m9 Is this a low flush model?
Author: Shoemaker2 (MA)

Make sure it has the proper flapper in it, that may have been what confused the audit person. It looks to me like it is a 1.6 gallon model. It also should say 1.6 behind where the seat mounts.

Reply To This Message

Author: hj (AZ)

That is the tank for the Wellworth Lite toilet, which was a 1.5 gpf model. It was before the 1.6gpf standard so it would NOT have the gpf requirements stamped onto the bowl behind the seat, which is probably what he was looking for. But, if that had not been the case, you CANNOT just replace the tank with a low gpf model and expect the toilet to flush properly.

Edited 1 times.

Reply To This Message

Author: Shoemaker2 (MA)

Who said anything about changing tanks?

Reply To This Message

Misread the original posting. I though the inspector was recommending replacing the tank only.

Reply To This Message

Author: brendacat (CA)

Thanks for the info. I just replaced the Wellworth Lite with a Gerber that flushes really well, especially compared to the Kohler (I actually thought I had a clogged sewer pipe or vent).

I bought the Kohler model new in 1994 (I think) and made no modifications to the toilet. Might Kohler have attached a low-flush tank and mechanism to an older bowl design? It never did work well, often requiring two or more flushes.

Reply To This Message

The early low flush models were notoriously poor flushers because they were still in a learning curve as to how to make them work.

Reply To This Message

Author: DLD (MO)

Toilet is a big time clogger. Had one customer rip out 3 Kohlers and replaced them with Gerber.

Reply To This Message

Note: Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.

Warning: Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.

Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.

Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try Heatinghelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Click here to view our old forum messages

to: Contact Us
to: Plumbing Manufacturers Address Directory
to: Plumbing Links Site
to: How to show an image
to: theplumber.com
to: Plbg Statistics
to: our FAQ's
to: Advisor List
to: Common Plumbing Terms
We're sponsored by:
  We're sponsored by:

Copyright© 2014 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.