Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 1940's tub spout old plumbing
Author: turtlebaby (TX)

I have the original 1940's plumbing connector for my spout, it's not a male pipe coming out of the wall it is a large flat brass fitting flush to the wall that the spout threads on to. My spout has a diverter that controls a metal flap in the spout which doesn't work well anymore. Half the water remains pouring out of the spout while the other half flows thru the shower head wasting tons of water. My plumber has informed me that if I am to get a new spout I will have to replace the pipes which means he'll have to break out my tile. It's the original tile and I don't want to do this because I can't find replacements for the tile. What I want to know is, are there any companies you know of that can repair my spout so the flap works better OR if anyone sells new spouts with the old type connection.
Sorry if this is redundant in places of sounds confusing and Thanks in advance smiling smiley

Re: 1940's tub spout old plumbing
Author: Shoemaker2 (MA)

I am guessing without being there to see the set-up that their has to be a way that that plate fitting can be removed from the fitting in the wall. Can you post a photo?

Thank you. I will post a photo in the morning. The plate cannot be removed with out breaking the old pipe is what the plumber said. He put a wrench to it and said he didn't get a good feel. Asked me if I wanted him to chance it and I said I'd try and find a new spout first.

Author: Shoemaker2 (MA)

I see. What is on the backside of the valve?
I am thinking that after you post a photo some good answer will come from it. There may even be some specialty company that can help. Good luck

Author: jerco (MD)

Does it look like this?

See this thread [www.plbg.com]

Author: Fixitangel (NC)

You might want to look at the antique tub spouts available from our sponsor:
[www.plumbingsupply.com]

Scroll down near the bottom of the page.

Good Luck!

Author: hj (AZ)

That "flat brass piece" is probably the part of the spout that did not unscrew from the pipe. Remove it and there will be a standard pipe thread sticking out of the wall. If you cannot remove it call a different plumber, not the one who did not know how to do it for you and what he was looking at. Your only problem, since you mention a "flapper" is if you have a Chicago spout it will have a much larger pipe and a conventional spout will not take its place.

That is exactly what it looks like! I called a different plumber and he came out and removed the flat piece and now I'm waiting on the reproduction spout that matches my handles. Thank all of you that answered my problem, with your help I'm going to be able to save my tile and loads of water! Terrific!

Author: daswillis (NM)

Hi. I am replacing tile around a 1940's tub spout and have come across this same piece. Mine doesn't thread into the spout body, however. It was soldered in. What is the proper name for this piece and does anyone know if you can get a replacement? The old galvanized nipple is completely seized in there and I am afraid I will damage the piece trying to get it out.

Thanks!

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.