Welcome to Plbg.com
Welcome to the Popular Plumbing, Kitchen, Bath Advice Site
Special thanks to:
FAMOUS PLUMBINGSUPPLY the award winning plumbing, kitchen and bath catalog. The largest selection of plumbing products and supplies on the net with over 1,600 pages. Since 1995 the PlumbingSupply Group has been serving the entire Internet community.
www.PlumbingForum.com
THE Dynamic Plumbing, Kitchen and Bath, Information, Advice and Sharing Forum
click here to learn how to show an image on PLBG.com

Over 520,000 Posts in over 150k Threads

By far the most popular STRICTLY PLUMBING INFORMATION SHARING FORUM board on the Net. Ask any toilet, sink, faucet, pump, water quality and other plumbing related questions here. Plumbing professional and DIY tips, tricks, shortcuts, remodeling, plumbing advice forum and blog. Please refrain from asking business, pricing, legal or any other non strictly plumbing related questions. 

New TopicSearchLog In Newest Messages
 nameing and using sinks?
Author: nad

What names do you give to sinks? Mfr's use various nomenclature. Please comment on the following list & perhaps say how & why you would use a particular sink esp. for use with tile.
1.tile-in
tile-edge
flush mount sinks, all are similar square edge with 5/16" rim thickness sinks? Typically CI?
2.Self-rimming
sit-on
drop-in sinks with rounded edges, typically SS? Aka mudded-in sinks.

Reply To This Message

Re: nameing and using sinks?
Author: jimmy-o (CA)

The most common sink with a tile countertop is a drop in. For the kitchen, I feel that drop in is not user friendly, so would use a tile-in sink which gives you a flush edge. Of course, for the kitchen, tile counter tops are so 90's!

For a basic laminate counter top, a steel sink with a huddee rim is a very good choice. For stone or resin ( corian et al) undermount sinks are what I prefer. Same for cultured marlbe vanities...I prefer molded in or undermount.

Reply To This Message

Jimmy, thank you for your reply. Could you talk me thro a brief install of the "hudee"? Why do you recommend it?

Reply To This Message

Author: bill plumber (FL)

I have not seen a Huddee rim since the nineties.

Edited 1 times.

Reply To This Message

Hi Bill, just for the record, can you talk me thro installing a Huddee-rim, and what are the pro's and con's of using one?

Reply To This Message

Author: hj (AZ)

It is the only way you can install a flat rim sink in a Formica counter top.

Reply To This Message

If you have a flat rim sink, you probably need one. If the sink is undermount or drop in, you do not.

Reply To This Message

Laminate counter tops are not suited to undermount sinks, because it is difficult to impossible to trim the cutout, so you either use a drop in....not convenient for kitchens; or you use a flat rim sink with the stainless steel support ring. They are still used a lot. The home centers push drop in sinks, because they cost more and are DIY friendly! But laminate countertops are still the material of choice in much of the multifamily industry, and rim sinks are still very much in the picture.

Reply To This Message

Why are drop-ins not convienient for kitchens and what is the price difference? I personally think Huddee rims have an outdated look, it has nothing to do with functionality or cost. Most Plumbers do not buy material from a box store and in the East I have not seen a Huddee rim in years not to say they are not being installed, just not popular. They do look good with avacado lavatories though. :)

Edited 1 times.

Reply To This Message

I find china lavs are less expensive than porceline on steel now a days. A self rimming china lav is what I push.

Edited 1 times.

Reply To This Message

Thanks again Jimmy,Bill
and Hj, i figured that they were a bit retro, now i know. But i still dont know how to install one, would someone care to show me how?

By the way hj, i was reading some back posts that you were involved with ie. the quantum logic guy in Fla. and the rooter camera business somewhere else - believe me i laughed to tears, pure marx Bros. No, it was Laurel and Hardy moving the piano. Fair play to the Fla. guy though, he's come up with some good stuff at times.

Reply To This Message

In a kitchen, it is VERY convenient to be able to wipe off the counter, sweeping food scraps, crumbs, etc into the sink. You can't do that with a drop in, but you CAN do it with an undermount or a rim mount. Although stones and resin countertop products are widely popular, the basic apartment industry is not springing for those across the board. Laminate is still very popular due to price point, and rim sinks are often used.

Reply To This Message

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while, but the odds are against them doing it consistently.

Reply To This Message

Author: LemonPlumber (FL)

What letters did the engineer use?

Reply To This Message

Note: Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.

Warning: Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.

Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.

Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try Heatinghelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Please visit:
FAMOUS PLUMBINGSUPPLY the award winning plumbing, kitchen and bath catalog. The largest selection of plumbing products and supplies on the net with pver 1,600 pages in our online plumbing catalog. Since 1995 the PlumbingSupply Group has been serving the entire Internet community.

Click here to view our old forum messages

Please visit:
FAMOUS PLUMBINGSUPPLY the award winning plumbing, kitchen and bath catalog. The largest selection of plumbing products and supplies on the net with over 1,600 pages in our online plumbing catalog. Since 1995 the PlumbingSupply Group has been serving the entire Internet community.

to: Contact Us
to: Plumbing Manufacturers Address Directory
to: Plumbing Links Site
to: How to show an image
to: theplumber.com
to: Plbg Statistics
to: our FAQ's
to: Advisor List
to: Toilet Repair Information
to: Tankless Water Heaters
to: Common Plumbing Terms