Welcome to Plbg.com Welcome to the Popular Plumbing, Kitchen, Bath Advice Site
  We're sponsored by:
The Leading Online Plumbing Supplier Since 1995
www.PlumbingForum.com
THE Dynamic Plumbing, Kitchen and Bath, Information, Advice and Sharing Forum

Over 520,000 Posts in over 150k Threads

By far the most popular positive STRICTLY PLUMBING INFORMATION SHARING FORUM board on the Net. Ask any toilet, sink, faucet, pump, water quality and other plumbing related questions here. Plumbing professional and DIY tips, tricks, shortcuts, remodeling, plumbing advice forum and blog. Please refrain from asking business, pricing, legal or any other non strictly plumbing related questions and we also ask for only positive comments and no advertising. 

New TopicSearchLog In Newest Messages
 Very Low Shower Flow (Hot or Cold)
Author: keithailor (AL)

My in-laws have incredible sediment build-up at all faucets with restricted water flow. I will be replacing the their leaking 17 year old, Rheem 50 gal. electric water heater tomorrow with a new electric Rheem, same size. All faucet aerators are soaking in CLR. In the master bath, I removed the shower head and turned on the single handle to hot-only for a while and then to cold-only for a while. The result is a very poor water flow for both hot and cold. Is their diverter valve clogged? How should I troubleshoot the poor water flow for this shower? Thanks in advance.

Reply To This Message

Re: Very Low Shower Flow (Hot or Cold)
Author: SMSPlumbing (PA)

Take out the cartridge and run some water to flush out the valve body. Might be a restriction to the valve body.

Reply To This Message

Would it do any good to soak the entire cartridge in CLR?

Reply To This Message

depends on what the sediment is. If it calcium and lime buildup maybe. But if its silt from a well - no. What brand is it? Most you can tell just by looking at it if its blocked. But if you run the water with the cartridge out for a few seconds you will see what the flow is like.

Reply To This Message

Author: Shoemaker2 (MA)

What brand is the valve? Some high end brands have filter screens inside the valve ahead of the cartridge to keep the junk out of them.

Reply To This Message

Delta

Reply To This Message

You can take the cartridge out, there are springs and washers inside the brass valve body. Be very careful if you are going to take the cartridge out. Delta has their cartride assembly supported by three 1/4 or 3/8 copper tubes that support it. If you twist the ring on the fron of the houseing you could twist these lines and you will have to repace the whole thing from there.

Reply To This Message

Author: LemonPlumber (FL)

Balancing or non?As said be very care when removing the cart retainer so the valve body is not twisted.

Reply To This Message

Are they on well or public water? If it is grit sediment you may want to install a sediment filter at the inlet of the water supply. If it is public water they may want to install a descaler system of some sort.

Reply To This Message

Public water, small white flakes. After a little research, I believe their cartridge is the same that my shower takes, a Delta RP47201.

Reply To This Message

The best solution for breaking up the build up is vinegar. I would have them invest in a descaler. I have heard some good things about EasyWater. I have not used it, but its like all the other magnetic style descalers. Over time it will breakup the buildup in the pipes.

Edited 1 times.

Reply To This Message

call delta and ask them for a new one.If this is indeed the cart in your valve they will ship you out one most ricky titty.

Reply To This Message

Author: PlumberManDan (IA)

Would this happen to be in a trailer? If so then does the COLD water enter close to the bottom of the heater. Do they have a softener that is not being used?

PlumbCat TM 2003

Plumbermandan

Reply To This Message

Ranch home. Cold enters at top of WH. All, I really do appreciate all of the replies.

Reply To This Message

Author: hj (AZ)

Doesn't make any difference. The question asked had NOTHING to do with your problem anyway.

Reply To This Message

?HJ?

Reply To This Message

HJ, You don't work on many trailers DO You? Low flow is a COMMON problem in trailers due to the cold line entering the bottom of the tank, I know I make a TON of $$$$$ each year on just that problem

PlumbCat TM 2003

Plumbermandan

Reply To This Message

P Dan the poster said it was a top feed,this time.

Reply To This Message

Partially Solved...Very Low Shower Flow (Hot or Cold)

Water heater has been replaced. The old one had the street feed going into the Hot side!!!!!!! What effect would this have on the operation of the water heater?

Under the kitchen sink I removed the shut off valve. It was totally clogged with calcium deposits. I then soaked the shut off valve in CLR and reinstalled. Great hot flow in kitchen now!

Maybe I should start a new thread but, both of their bathrooms experience low flow. I got up under those faucets tonight only to discover that the factory copper line for hot coming out of each fixture was CRIMPED!!!

Ordered a new cartridge from Delta (free) for the shower, Delta T17240 cartridge # RP46463
The valve body is a Delta R10000-UNBX Universal

Edited 1 times.

Reply To This Message

That MIGHT affect the hot side, but he stated that it applies to BOTH hot and cold, therefore the question is irrevlevent. Most trailers in this area use conventional water heaters. Bottom inlet heaters are usually electric, and I have not seen a "large" one like that since the 60's.

Reply To This Message

Re: Partially Solved...Very Low Shower Flow (Hot or Cold)

It would have NO effect, if the heater had been modified to compensate for it, otherwise you would have had little "hot" water.

Reply To This Message

When you remove the cart you will see a couple small holes top and bottom. the screen black plastic test hole,check retainer, on top and another on the bottom push a coat hangar sized wire through the lower one.if you can get it 3/4"past the horizontal it should clear valve build up.You might also try removing the shower head ,rotating the shower arm upward and pouring clr down the shower arm with the cart removed.This is all if there is good flow with the cart removed.

Edited 1 times.

Reply To This Message

Author: keithailor (AL)
"Water heater has been replaced. The old one had the street feed going into the Hot side!!!!!!! What effect would this have on the operation of the water heater? "

It would have a noticable effect in a couple of different ways. I take it YOU installed the NEW heater with the COLD to COLD and the HOT to HOT.
What has happened, WHILE the OLD heater was installed incorrectly, With the heater drawing "hot" water OUT OF THE BOTTOM of the tank and the cold feed coming in at the top of the tank, It managed to suck the deposits off the bottom of the tank and into the the water lines. You will need to rebuild ALL affected faucets. DO NOT put the NEW carts in the faucets until you have COMPLETELY flushed BOTH the hot and cold lines to each faucet. One of my favorite tricks is to remove the cart in the t/s faucet and place a 2" "RUBBER" 90 ELL that you can buy at most BBStores tighten the clamp, If a single handle Kitchen faucet is involved you have to get a little creative, Remove all of the components spout included CONFIGURE another "rubber" 90 ET AL so you can slowly flush the lines into the sink without destroying the kitchen. One of the reasons that BOTH the H/C are lacking is the faucet waterways could be partially occluded Or as you found the stops may have caught some of it. If you have to clear the waterways in the faucet you will need to manually clear them with something that will break up the deposits IE: COPPER WIRE works well. AIR will not clear the lines as easily as water. AFTER you have set up the faucets to discharge where you want them SLOWLY turn on the Meter valve, Let it run for a min or 2, if you have stops under the sink operate them with full pressure on the system. Normally tubs do not have valves before the actual t/s valve, To do BOTH faucets, Turn off the stops under the sink, that way you can provide FULL volume to the t/s faucet and clear it first, If you do not get a "LOT" of water out of the t/s valve then turn the main off to the point that you are getting SOME water, remove the rubber 90 and use the copper wire to clear the waterways, replace the 90 and try again. It may take you 2 hours it may take you more, depends how clogged the lines and the valve is. Once you have the shower running well, replace the OLD cart leave it in the OFF position and then start work on the kitchen/lav. Hope this helps, The OLD heater that was INCORRECTLY installed allowed sediment off the bottom of the tank to be pulled into the lines and with SINGLE handle faucets it WILL crossover and plug waterways.

PlumbCat TM 2003

Plumbermandan

Edited 1 times.

Reply To This Message

Note: Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.

Warning: Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.

Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.

Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try Heatinghelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Click here to view our old forum messages

to: Contact Us
to: Plumbing Manufacturers Address Directory
to: Plumbing Links Site
to: How to show an image
to: theplumber.com
to: Plbg Statistics
to: our FAQ's
to: Advisor List
to: Common Plumbing Terms
We're sponsored by:
  We're sponsored by:

Copyright© 2014 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.