Welcome to Plbg.com Welcome to the Popular Plumbing, Kitchen, Bath Advice Site
  We're sponsored by:
Buy plumbing supplies online
www.PlumbingForum.com
THE Dynamic Plumbing, Kitchen and Bath, Information, Advice and Sharing Forum

Over 525,000 Posts in over 155k Threads

The most popular positive STRICTLY PLUMBING INFORMATION SHARING FORUM board on the Net. Ask any toilet, sink, faucet, pump, water quality and other plumbing related questions here. Plumbing professional and DIY tips, tricks, shortcuts, remodeling, plumbing advice forum and blog. Please refrain from asking business, pricing, contractor referrals, legal or any other non strictly plumbing related questions keeping all positive and with no advertising. 

New TopicSearchLog In Newest Messages
 How to replace valve in Oatey Washing Machine Outlet Box
Author: hkluis (CA)

I have the Oatey Washing Machine Outlet Box with red and blue valve handles. The hot water valve has only very slow drips of water. The cold valve is normal, and I have hot water in the adjacent sink. This occurred shortly after I had workers replace the flooring and baseboard of my laundry room, but I can't see how that would have affected the hot water supply.

The only remedy I can think of is to replace the hot water valve. How do I remove the valve: do I turn the valve head or the nut? The nut seems very tight and I'm afraid of breaking the pipe behind the wall.

Also the valve is not available in hardware stores. Anyone knows where to buy the valve?

Reply To This Message

Re: How to replace valve in Oatey Washing Machine Outlet Box
Author: packy (MA)

you will have to open the wall just below the box to do what you want.
probably have to cut the copper tubing (if it is copper?) and unscrew the fastening nut from below to lift out the valve.
i don't know of anywhere to purchase these valves as replacements. may have to buy a whole box set up and use those valves.

Reply To This Message

Author: HytechPlumber (LA)

I would try to back flush the line with cold water pressure "backwards" through the pipes.

Turn off the valve at the waster heater. This will shut down all hot water in the home.

Connect a washer machine hose from your cold water at the washer machine to the hot water at the washer machine. Open up the "hot water only" at the nearby sink you mentioned.

Open up the hot water hosebibb and open up the cold water hosebibb. The cold water should push backwards into the hot water and you should get water flow at the nearby sink. Make sure the washer machine hose does not have clooged up screens in the hose.

This is only a temporary installation. Re-install hoses like standard washer hook up.

If this does not work then there is a blockage somewhere in the pipes that may or may not be in the faucet.

.... X ....... X

...................... Good Luck .....................................

Reply To This Message

Author: hj (AZ)

Are the "drips" coming out when you open the valve, or into the washing machine when you turn it to "hot"? More than likely you have a plugged screen on a hose or the inlet valve. What you can do depends on the valve itself. Some you have to replace the entire valve unit, and others unscrew inside the box. A picture would help determine your options.

Reply To This Message

Thank you all for the suggestions.

I tried the back-flow technique but no water came out of the nearby sink. I think the hot water valve is probably stuck closed.

This is only a 10-year old house but is the first one I've lived that uses such a box. Does it mean each time there's a valve problem I'm going to have to tear up the wall? How insane!

Reply To This Message

Take it apart and see if the washer has come loose and is stuck in the valve. There is very little other than that which could obstruct the valve. Those valves do NOT come apart internally, and if the handle turns for a while and then stops, the valve is okay, mechanically, and is NOT stuck closed.

Edited 1 times.

Reply To This Message

hj, the "drips" comes out of the valve, not the washing machine hose.

The box looks like this:

Reply To This Message

Author: LemonPlumber (FL)

Does the valve thread into a hex nut before it goes through the plastic box?These cloud be replaced without opening the wall.As their early 1/4 turns are.did you reset this leaking valve?turn it off and on a few times?You have a o-ring seal leak and if it frees from the pinch that causes the leak ,may be ok.A hardware store or our sponsor would have a 1/4turn boiler type drain to replace it with.

Reply To This Message

LemonPlumber, I've turned the red handle back and forth many times already. The handle isn't stuck, but doesn't feel as tight as the cold water handle. That could be just due to having no water pressure.

It would seem like I should at least be able to turn the hex nut. But I couldn't, and I didn't want to damage the pipe below and flood things.

Reply To This Message

Author: LemonPlumber (FL)

You need to get a boiler drain.then hold the brass hex with one wrench at the bottom of the box and un-thread the valve above it counter clockwise.Sorry but this might be something to give up on and get your plumber to do simply.just remind him to have a boiler type valve 1/4 turn if you prefer.Believe they may have been using a setting thread compound on this box.which can require a large amount of torque to break loose and a fitting cleaning before the new valve install!

Edited 1 times.

Reply To This Message

Thank you all!

Reply To This Message

Author: HytechPlumber (LA)

Cutting a hole in the wall may be the only alternative. I would measure the access panel sizes at the local hardware and cut the hole either 8" X 8" or 12" X 12" or what ever size required to fix the problem and replace with an access panel. (better than floating and painting the wall.) The hole will need to be cut just below the washer box. (approx. 2" below) Be carefull not to damage existing waste n vent pipes or water pipes.

.... X....... X

..................... Good Luck ...............................

Reply To This Message

HUGE picture, but if yours is EXACTLY like that one, then you can buy two boiler drains, NOT hose faucets, and unscrew the valves from those bosses on the bottom, then screw the new valves in.

Reply To This Message

Author: earthworm (PA)

I was having the identical problem with the Oatey POS " plumbing outlet box".
The valves were leaking big time, the hoses were frozen in place, I had to cut them off.
Then I had to cut the entire unit away from the sheet rock.
The drain pipe was permanently adhered to the box, I do not think it should be..
The RotoZip worked well, fast and a bit messy.
I checked at Grainers in York, their unit was metal and used old fashioned valves...
Oatey seems to be the only show around here - available at the big box stores.
I hate to have to buy poorly designed junk !

Reply To This Message

Note: Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.

Warning: Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.

Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.

Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try Heatinghelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Click here to view our old forum messages

to: Contact Us
to: Plumbing Manufacturers Address Directory
to: Plumbing Links Site
to: How to show an image
to: theplumber.com
to: Plbg Statistics
to: our FAQ's
to: Advisor List
to: Common Plumbing Terms
We're sponsored by:
  We're sponsored by:

Copyright© 2014 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.