Welcome to Plbg.com
Welcome to the Popular Plumbing, Kitchen, Bath Advice Site
Special thanks to:
FAMOUS PLUMBINGSUPPLY the award winning plumbing, kitchen and bath catalog. The largest selection of plumbing products and supplies on the net with over 1,600 pages. Since 1995 the PlumbingSupply Group has been serving the entire Internet community.
www.PlumbingForum.com
THE Dynamic Plumbing, Kitchen and Bath, Information, Advice and Sharing Forum
click here to learn how to show an image on PLBG.com

Over 515,000 Posts in over 150k Threads

By far the most popular STRICTLY PLUMBING INFORMATION SHARING FORUM board on the Net. Ask any toilet, sink, faucet, pump, water quality and other plumbing related questions here. Plumbing professional and DIY tips, tricks, shortcuts, remodeling, plumbing advice forum and blog. Please refrain from asking business, pricing, legal or any other non strictly plumbing related questions. 

New TopicSearchLog In Newest Messages
 Wet vent for toilet...
Author: campervanman (CT)

Hi All.

I'm planning a second story bathroom installation. Currently we have one bathroom on the first floor. This is at the rear of the house, with a horizontal waste pipe running through the basement and out to the sewer through the front of the house.

I'm planning on having the toilet and sink on one side of the bathroom, and the bath tub on the other. I think I'm OK for the tub, but have some questions on the toilet/sink combination.

At present I am planning to run 3" waste horizontally for about 12" inches from the toilet, then taking a 90 degree sweep and dropping through the first floor into the basement and into the horizontal waste to sewer. To vent the toilet, I'd like to run a 2" wet vent from the 3" pipe up into the attic, en route taking a 1 1/2" drain from the sink.

First question - is this wet venting permissible for the toilet? My research suggests it will be, but...

Second question - if the above is possible, can I put in a wye fitting right after the 90 degree sweep to accept the wet vent? Or, does the vent need to come out of the top of the horizontal waste from the toilet? I understand that the vent has to leave at an angle equal or greater than 45 degrees, but I'm not sure if it is permissible to add the vent lower down the stack than where the toilet drains?

If it helps, I'm in CT! Thanks for any input - my ears are open!

Reply To This Message

Re: Wet vent for toilet...
Author: getplumbingsupplies (Non-US)

well first..im in canada..but..we cant use 90's on drainage lines.unless its right off the toilet..use two 45's...

Reply To This Message

Sorry, I wasn't clear - I will also use two 45s, not a 90 (except a street elbow off toilet as you suggested!)

Thanks!

Reply To This Message

Author: packy (MA)

you don't need to roll the "Y" up to 45 with a wet vent.
it is good if you can but not necessary.
see if this picture helps?
the drain/vent combo (wet vent) must be 2".
[smg.photobucket.com]

Reply To This Message

Thanks Packy. If I'm understanding you correctly, then what I am proposing should work, right? I will be using 2" for vet vent up through the roof above.

I guess my main concern is that the vent vent will enter the 3" pipe below the level of the 3" horizontal pipe from the toilet. In my head, this shouldn't affect the atmospheric pressure etc and should work just as well as if I had the wet vent entering the top of the 3" pipe, but I want to make sure I'm not missing something obvious. As the vet went will be entering on the vertical drop, it seems I'd have to have a major backup before it could get blocked, unless the drain part of the vet vent got blocked by discharge from the sink of course!

Reply To This Message

Author: dlh (TX)

normally you would use a sanitary tee to go vertical from horizonta and come off the top for the vent but if you dont have the room for some reason then a wye below the 90 will work

- - - - - - -

PLUMBERS "Protecting The Health Of The Nation"

Reply To This Message

Author: hj (AZ)

Most inspectors would want a sanitary tee where you drop down from the toilet, rather than an elbow with a vent connection below it.

Reply To This Message

Thanks DLH and HJ. I had initially ruled out the sanitary tee due to space requirements. However, since then I've had to drop the ceiling level in the closet below, so I think it might be doable. I might have to angle the 3" pipe from the toilet a little more steeply so that I can fit in the sanitary tee with 2" wet vent extending up below the finished floor level.

I really appreciate everyone's reply - really helpful! THank you.

Reply To This Message

Author: rudythplbr63 (AK)

Good Morning hj, I know of NO code that allows a tee on its back for a change of direction. The 3"X2" wye on the horizontal, with the 2" leg above the invert of the 3" will be sufficient.
I know wet vents are legal, however I've a plumbing inspector (a retired pipefitter) that doesn't understand them, so he won't allow us to use them. They are the best way to keep the toilet waste clean.

Reply To This Message

Hi Rudy!

My understanding of HJ's post was that the sanitary tee would be in an upright position. Waste from toilet coming in horizontal, vet went from above and waste to sewer out of the bottom.

I did want to put the 2" wye on the horiztontal, however because of the closet wall underneath the only way to do this would be to have the wet vent tee draining towards the toilet rather than towards the sewer, which I realize is not good!

I hope my inspector likes (and understand wet vents!) THat sucks!

Thanks for your help!

Reply To This Message

Author: Scott the Plumber (PA)

hj was referring to a vertical tee in sanitary position, not a horizontal tee on its back.

Reply To This Message

WE did not say "ON ITS BACK". I said extending vertically from the tee in place of an elbow. In the first place the only way I could see a tee on its back would either be under the toilet, which we did not even consider, or as "bull head" configuration, with the outlet dropping down out of the side port, which would be patently illegal.

Reply To This Message

I hope he understands you also, because I have no idea what you are trying to convey.

Reply To This Message

Author: dlh (TX)

wow, am i invisible or what?

the inspector shouldnt have much say in it as long as your local codes allow wet venting

- - - - - - -

PLUMBERS "Protecting The Health Of The Nation"

Reply To This Message

Author: bill plumber (FL)

I don't understand why anyone would dry vent when they could wet vent. With a wet vent you know if your vent is obstructed. To answer the posters question you absolutely do not need to roll up or enter the drain line on top with a wet vent. You will need to stay two pipe sizes larger than minimum for the entire length of the wet vent. Can you wye off the horizontal 3" to the toilet for your wet vent? Some inspectors would consider wet venting the toilet after dropping vertically to be an s-trap.

Edited 2 times.

Reply To This Message

Author: packy (MA)

bill, massachusetts wet venting say 1 pipe size larger.
i totally agree. wet vent is 1000 times better than dry vent.

Reply To This Message

so you can run 1 1/2" to a lav for a wet vent with another fixture draining into the wet vent?

Edited 1 times.

Reply To This Message

Author: x apprentice 22 (MA)

2" for a wet vent for a lav in Massachusetts.

Reply To This Message

What is the minimum size for a lav drain?

Reply To This Message

The toilet is ALREADY an "S" trap which is why it would be an inspector's decision whether he would allow the "extension" of the "S" trap.

Reply To This Message

The only difference between a "wet vent" and a "dry vent" is the few feet of piping carry the fluid from the upper fixture. IF the venting is done correctly, you do NOT need a wet vent. IF you are venting horizontally, then you DO need a wet vent to compensate for the installation.

Reply To This Message

Not sure WHAT you are asking there, but the WET part of a wet vent has to be at least 2".

Reply To This Message

1 1/2", but it would usually be into a 2x 1 1/2x 1 1/2 tee, or something similar.

Reply To This Message

if the minimum size for a lav p-trap is 1 1/4" than 2" wet vent is two pipe sizes larger not one size larger.

Reply To This Message

Note: Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.

Warning: Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.

Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.

Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try Heatinghelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Please visit:
FAMOUS PLUMBINGSUPPLY the award winning plumbing, kitchen and bath catalog. The largest selection of plumbing products and supplies on the net with pver 1,600 pages in our online plumbing catalog. Since 1995 the PlumbingSupply Group has been serving the entire Internet community.

Click here to view our old forum messages

Please visit:
FAMOUS PLUMBINGSUPPLY the award winning plumbing, kitchen and bath catalog. The largest selection of plumbing products and supplies on the net with over 1,600 pages in our online plumbing catalog. Since 1995 the PlumbingSupply Group has been serving the entire Internet community.

to: Contact Us
to: Plumbing Manufacturers Address Directory
to: Plumbing Links Site
to: theplumber.com
to: Plbg Statistics
to: our FAQ's
to: Advisor List
to: How to show an image
to: Tankless Water Heaters
to: Common Plumbing Terms