Welcome to Plbg.com Welcome to the Popular Plumbing, Kitchen, Bath Advice Site
  We're sponsored by:
The Leading Online Plumbing Supplier Since 1995
www.PlumbingForum.com
THE Dynamic Plumbing, Kitchen and Bath, Information, Advice and Sharing Forum

Over 520,000 Posts in over 150k Threads

The most popular positive STRICTLY PLUMBING INFORMATION SHARING FORUM board on the Net. Ask any toilet, sink, faucet, pump, water quality and other plumbing related questions here. Plumbing professional and DIY tips, tricks, shortcuts, remodeling, plumbing advice forum and blog. Please refrain from asking business, pricing, contractor referrals, legal or any other non strictly plumbing related questions and we also ask for only positive comments and no advertising. 

New TopicSearchLog In Newest Messages
 Cutting a floor joist?
Author: zzxx (NC)

I am in the middle of demoing a 5'x8' bathroom in a 1952 home. I am converting a bath to a shower stall and will have to move the drain. I get to the removal of the tub drain and to my dismay the floor joist was cut completely to accommodate the drain. No structural support was added and as a result the floor is not level. I have since shored up the sunken floor joist by adding headers from the parallel joists. It is beyond me how a new home can possibly be done this way and pass inspection. I am curious how often do the pros on this site come across this type of shoddy work?

Reply To This Message

Re: Cutting a floor joist?
Author: Scott the Plumber (PA)

Every day. That's how things were done in the oldy-times. Nowadays, plumbers have to know as much about building codes as plumbing codes when dealing with structures and supports.

Reply To This Message

Author: sum (FL)

About ten years ago I hired someone to remodel a bathroom, and they had to convert a bath tub to a shower. In order to remove the cast iron tub, we had to open up the wall. When we removed the sheetrock, we found out the studs were already cut along the outline of the tub. Someone had to cut the studs to slide the tub into the bath after framing was done during original construction. That's three studs cut and just "hanging" from the top plate. Then two feet over, the about four studs were cut at a higher location, to accommodate a vent pipe, a recessed medicine cabinet, and two recessed scone electrical boxes, then come the door frame to the bathroom.

So basically a wall that is about 12' wide across, had one single stud that runs between the bottom and top plates, everything else has been cut off the bottom or the top in some way, except for the door framing.

Reply To This Message

Author: zzxx (NC)

I also experienced this on a bathroom water closet (toilet) flange at a friends home, built in 1988, two years ago. The floor joist was completely severed to accommodate the drain. Unbelievable!!! Has anyone encountered this on newer homes of the 1990's and 2000's?

Reply To This Message

Author: CHayn (IL)

it completely depends on where you are and who the builder and tradesmen were and who the inspector, if any, were. In Northern Illinois there are counties with no inspectors other than the county health department. If no one calls a State Inspector than nothing, other than a well or a septic will get inspected. There are definitely way too many "quick and dirty" homes out there from every decade. I am sure it is this way throughout the country.
There are also a lot of good quality builders and tradesmen out there. I like to think that we are in the majority but we all come across horror stories. Watch Holmes on Homes sometime on HGTV!

Reply To This Message

Author: hj (AZ)

quote; Watch Holmes on Homes sometime on HGTV!

I don't know where he finds his catastrophes, but sometimes I think they are so bad that he creates them before the show starts so he can display his genius.

Reply To This Message

Author: Scott the Plumber (PA)

Yes, hj, I have to admit that the drama is a bit too much but also the show helps to validate the need for registered plumbers, builders and importance of inspections to keep everybody honest. The homes do seem to be screened for the effect on viewers.

Reply To This Message

Author: CHayn (IL)

There is drama to that show, yes. But if I am going to waste some time watching TV I would rather watch something like that than American Idol or Oprah!

Reply To This Message

Author: jeremymcnelson (CA)

i completely agree with sum (FL). i had the same experience from tub to shower room. i will get another remodeling and plumbing agency this week to do some for my kitchen. thanks for this posts, it reminded me of a good strategy for my remodeling. :D

Edited 1 times.

Reply To This Message

Author: hj (AZ)

Holmes has NEVER found any competent contractor, regardless of what he is doing in the house. It seems EVERYTHING has to be torn out and redone his way.

Reply To This Message

Author: RRW (IL)

You are not looking at the big picture, he probably looks at 100 requests to find one worthy of a show. So don't be offended. If he could not find bad cases he would not be on TV.

Reply To This Message

Author: waukeshaplumbing (WI)

i work on 1900's houses on the Milwaukee lake front all the time...huge 3 story mansions...wow they are horribly cut up...the last one i did had steel I-beams running both ways every few feet on the 2nd floor, so i didnt mind cutting any of the joists.

they didnt drill nice holes, they cut 1/2 the joists away in the old days....trying to remodel these houses with designers is really difficult..you dont want to make the issues worse, but they always want the 2nd floor toilet on the otherside of the room and dont want to open up any 1st floor walls or ceiling.

Edited 1 times.

Reply To This Message

Author: LemonPlumber (FL)

Nope.it is not done the old way any more.steel support may have been a better option for your beam repair.Cut the top or bottom of a support now and feel the inspection fee's mount!

Reply To This Message

Note: Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.

Warning: Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.

Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.

Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try Heatinghelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Click here to view our old forum messages

to: Contact Us
to: Plumbing Manufacturers Address Directory
to: Plumbing Links Site
to: How to show an image
to: theplumber.com
to: Plbg Statistics
to: our FAQ's
to: Advisor List
to: Common Plumbing Terms
We're sponsored by:
  We're sponsored by:

Copyright© 2014 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.