Welcome to Plbg.com
Welcome to the Popular Plumbing, Kitchen, Bath Advice Site
Special thanks to:
FAMOUS PLUMBINGSUPPLY the award winning plumbing, kitchen and bath catalog. The largest selection of plumbing products and supplies on the net with over 1,600 pages. Since 1995 the PlumbingSupply Group has been serving the entire Internet community.
www.PlumbingForum.com
THE Dynamic Plumbing, Kitchen and Bath, Information, Advice and Sharing Forum
click here to learn how to show an image on PLBG.com

Over 520,000 Posts in over 150k Threads

By far the most popular STRICTLY PLUMBING INFORMATION SHARING FORUM board on the Net. Ask any toilet, sink, faucet, pump, water quality and other plumbing related questions here. Plumbing professional and DIY tips, tricks, shortcuts, remodeling, plumbing advice forum and blog. Please refrain from asking business, pricing, legal or any other non strictly plumbing related questions. 

New TopicSearchLog In Newest Messages
 Sink only drains when running the garbage disposal
Author: tanyatraveling (HI)

Help! My kitchen sink only drains when I run the garbage disposal. I assumed there was a clog in the drain line so I took off the p-trap and snaked it several times. Also removed the garbage disposal and checked the line to the overflow vent next to the faucet. I'm on the 5th floor of an older, concrete condo and have a single sink. None of the units above me are having problems. Any ideas? I would be so grateful if someone could help me figure this one out.

Reply To This Message

Re: Sink only drains when running the garbage disposal
Author: royboy (SC)

Perhaps the grinding slots are plugged. Try running a couple of handfulls of ice cubes through it with the water running.

Reply To This Message

Author: hj (AZ)

That could mean that YOUR drain in the wall is plugged and the disposer is acting as a pump and pushing the water up and over through the vent into a pipe that does drain.

Reply To This Message

Author: HytechPlumber (LA)

It is very possible that your disposal needs to be cleaned out thouroughly. Sometimes hitting it with the sink sprayer will help dislodge some of the crud. Do not use any harsh chemicals. If you removed it you can take it outside and hose it out very well with some good hose pressure.

The other possibility would be that the sink arm is partially stopped up and disposal is pushing it through but usually it would back up all the time if that were the case.

... X....... X ... Good Luck .....

Reply To This Message

Author: Nayman's Drain Services (Non-US)

go past the P-trap into the wall. Hopefully your "snake" will go down to clear any blockage

Reply To This Message

Note: Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.

Warning: Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.

Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.

Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try Heatinghelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Please visit:
FAMOUS PLUMBINGSUPPLY the award winning plumbing, kitchen and bath catalog. The largest selection of plumbing products and supplies on the net with pver 1,600 pages in our online plumbing catalog. Since 1995 the PlumbingSupply Group has been serving the entire Internet community.

Click here to view our old forum messages

Please visit:
FAMOUS PLUMBINGSUPPLY the award winning plumbing, kitchen and bath catalog. The largest selection of plumbing products and supplies on the net with over 1,600 pages in our online plumbing catalog. Since 1995 the PlumbingSupply Group has been serving the entire Internet community.

to: Contact Us
to: Plumbing Manufacturers Address Directory
to: Plumbing Links Site
to: How to show an image
to: theplumber.com
to: Plbg Statistics
to: our FAQ's
to: Advisor List
to: Toilet Repair Information
to: Tankless Water Heaters
to: Common Plumbing Terms