Welcome to Plbg.com Welcome to the Popular Plumbing, Kitchen, Bath Advice Site
  We're sponsored by:
The Leading Online Plumbing Supplier Since 1995
www.PlumbingForum.com
THE Dynamic Plumbing, Kitchen and Bath, Information, Advice and Sharing Forum

Over 520,000 Posts in over 150k Threads

By far the most popular positive STRICTLY PLUMBING INFORMATION SHARING FORUM board on the Net. Ask any toilet, sink, faucet, pump, water quality and other plumbing related questions here. Plumbing professional and DIY tips, tricks, shortcuts, remodeling, plumbing advice forum and blog. Please refrain from asking business, pricing, legal or any other non strictly plumbing related questions and we also ask for only positive comments and no advertising. 

New TopicSearchLog In Newest Messages
 Water in shower does not stay hot
Author: hba123 (NY)

The water in my shower starts out hot, but quickly cools off. My hot water heater was just replaced, as was my shower valve/fixtures. Any ideas? Thank you.

Reply To This Message

Re: Water in shower does not stay hot
Author: steve the plumber (FL)

Need more infor. Do you have 1 bath house or the problem is in 1 bathroom. who installed the plumbing fixtures.. Plumber or handyman..

Reply To This Message

I have 2 1/2 baths, but the problem is in the master bath shower. Everything has been installed/serviced by licensed plumber we have used for years. EWe know better than to fool around with it ourselves.

Reply To This Message

Author: PBwrencher (WI)

Electric water heater:?: Lower element is not working.:)

Edited 1 times.

Reply To This Message

If the problem is only in the master bath, then my guess will something is wrong with the shower valve.. possible dirt in the cartriage.. I will call your plumber back to fix the problem.. Should be under warrenty. ??

Reply To This Message

Author: packy (MA)

does the hot water run out anywhere else but the shower?

Reply To This Message

No, only in the shower.

Reply To This Message

Author: packy (MA)

then the problem is not with the water heater.
the shower valve has a limit stop so you can't get excessivly hot water from it. the limit might need to be adjusted??
the shower valve has a balancing mechanism that keeps the temperature constant if a toilet is flushed or the dishwasher starts up. the mechanism could have debris in it or it could be defective ??
it's going to take a little detective work to figure out which but all in all the fix is pretty simple.
i've installed shower valves (grohe) that have filter screens inside to keep debris out of the balancing mechanism. maybe that too??

Reply To This Message

Author: hj (AZ)

There are a few possibilities, but since they are somewhat esoteric, we would have to be there to do a diagnosis. But the first thing that comes to mind is that you have a recirculation system and someone left out a check valve at the heater.

Reply To This Message

Good point hj... But if the check valve was left out it could mix thru out the whole house..

Reply To This Message

He is replying that only master bathroom has a problem with hot water..

Edited 2 times.

Reply To This Message

hba123.. Do you have hot water in the lav. sink and if so , then if so i will have the shower valve checked out..

Edited 1 times.

Reply To This Message

Yep, hot water is fine everywhere except the shower.

Reply To This Message

What brand did you had installed ??

Reply To This Message

Delta Monitor Series 17

Reply To This Message

How long ago you had the valve installed.. When did the problem started..

Reply To This Message

Just a week or so ago. Had a 12-year old Delta one with separate controls for water temp. and strength, and all of a sudden the water went cold after a minute or two. Delta no longer made it or replacement parts so plumber installed the new Delta one. Although the water does not turn cold, it is still not staying hot.

Reply To This Message

Possible 2 things.. #1 is that there might be a hot limit stop under the handle. or #2 the plumber solder the valve with the cartriage in it.. could possible do some damage.. It sounds like a balacing problem.. or Defective cartriage.. needs replacement. call Delta and they will send you a new cartriage.. Lifetime warrenty.. Good luck...

Edited 1 times.

Reply To This Message

Thanks for your help guys. Appreciate it.

Reply To This Message

Author: keithailor (AL)

hba123,

I have a Delta T17230-NN (shower-only set) from the Innovations collection. I had the same thing happen (water turns cold for a minute or two and then decides to try and get hot again). Whenever this happens(4-5 years before first occurrence), I contact Delta and they send me a new Balancing Spool for free (part has a lifetime warranty). I replace it myself, and hot water is again in abundance. I have a lot of calcium and limestone (hard water) and often I have to remove my shower head and soak it in CLR. This hard water crud, I feel, is what gets into my balancing spool and upsets its normal operation. I hope this helps.

Am I a Professional Plumber? No, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night!

Reply To This Message

Author: HytechPlumber (LA)

Since you have just recently had the water heater replaced and a new shower valve installed and both most likely involved soldering into the pipes, I would first suspect trash, debri, or solder may be caught up in the inner parts of the shower valve.

Possibly the shower valve may have to taken apart and the lines may need to be flushed out. The inner parts of the valve will need to be visually inspected and rinsed off if any debri is evident.

... .......... X ..... Good Luck .....

Reply To This Message

It will normally just back up cold water to the fixture, or couple fixtures, where the circulation line is connected at the far end. That is the point where the hot water piping will have the most resisance, and the circulation the least.

Reply To This Message

In other words, the old valve had the same problem, in which case it is NOT the shower valve, and if there is a circulation system, AND the plumber connected it to the new heater without replacing the check valve, that still becomes the prime suspect.

Reply To This Message

Author: KillahB (FL)

Ok, I am having this same problem, and I am being sent in several directions. I've used this site before with TREMENDOUS results, so I'm back again with hopefully another easily solved problem.

This is a 2 bathroom house with an electric Rheem heater, a Peerless / Delta single arm faucet, where the shower distribution is about 99% master bathroom : 1% guest. I was having a severe problem where I was getting a poor mix of hot water in the master bath only. Every other faucet would give me scalding hot water within seconds, but the master bath was giving me lukewarm water. At first I thought it was the shower head, which proved to be defective, but it didn't solve the problem. All research pointed to the shower mixer valve. I changed that, and adjusted the scald guard to the hottest setting.

That didn't fix the problem, although it made it a bit better. Now I do get hot water but it does not last very long at all. Additionally, it seems like I have to turn the handle further to get the same amount of heat that I used to get. For comparative reasons, I took a shower in the guest bathroom - a nice HOT shower. No issues whatsoever. After that, when I was brushing my teeth immediately after, the water from the sink was still scalding. Typically, after the lukewarm / warm showers in the master bath, the water is lukewarm at the faucet as if I depleted all the hot water.

Have I missed something? Is there something that needed to be reset?

SUMMARY: hot water all through the house except the master bath. Changed shower mixer valve, no significant difference in performance.

Reply To This Message

Note: Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.

Warning: Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.

Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.

Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try Heatinghelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Click here to view our old forum messages

to: Contact Us
to: Plumbing Manufacturers Address Directory
to: Plumbing Links Site
to: How to show an image
to: theplumber.com
to: Plbg Statistics
to: our FAQ's
to: Advisor List
to: Common Plumbing Terms
We're sponsored by:
  We're sponsored by:

Copyright© 2014 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.