Welcome to Plbg.com
Welcome to the Popular Plumbing, Kitchen, Bath Advice Site
Special thanks to:
FAMOUS PLUMBINGSUPPLY the award winning plumbing, kitchen and bath catalog. The largest selection of plumbing products and supplies on the net with over 1,600 pages. Since 1995 the PlumbingSupply Group has been serving the entire Internet community.
www.PlumbingForum.com
THE Dynamic Plumbing, Kitchen and Bath, Information, Advice and Sharing Forum
click here to learn how to show an image on PLBG.com

Over 510,000 Posts in over 150k Threads

By far the most popular STRICTLY PLUMBING INFORMATION SHARING FORUM board on the Net. Ask any toilet, sink, faucet, pump, water quality and other plumbing related questions here. Plumbing professional and DIY tips, tricks, shortcuts, remodeling, plumbing advice forum and blog. Please refrain from asking business, pricing, legal or any other non strictly plumbing related questions. 

New TopicSearchLog In Newest Messages
 Offset flange
Author: plbg trainy (NJ)

My toilet started to leak at the 90' fitting under the toilet whenever it was flushed.I suspected the wax seal so I pulled the toilet and found that the flange was an offset type and was not sure how to set the wax seal because it looks as though it may not seal correctly,the offset is about 2 inches,also it did not leak at the toilet on the floor.

Reply To This Message

Re: Offset flange
Author: bill plumber (FL)

You would install the wax ring the same as a standard flange. If the face of the flange is below the finish floor you may have to install a thick wax ring. Be sure to shim an unlevel toilet and grout the toilet after installation.

Reply To This Message

Author: Shoemaker2 (MA)

When setting a toilet on an offset flange you need to work the wax ring with your hands and form it into a larger circle so it will fit on the flange properly. If you just take it out of the package it will be to small for the flange,
This is what I have found, I am sure there will be other opinions though.

Reply To This Message

WTF are you talking about? The face of an offset that meets the toilet is exactly the same as a straight flange.

Reply To This Message

Author: joe plumber (NE)

I have set alot of stools in 42 years of plumbing that had offset flanges and I always set them the same as stools having regular flanges.That's a new one on me .Maybe I have been doing it all wrong ,woe is me.

Reply To This Message

Author: CHayn (IL)

I agree with Joe, Same install as normal. YOu may not be able to use a wax ring with a horn, but should be able to use one without.

Reply To This Message

Author: Dunbar (KY)

I know the flange shoemaker is talking about, and yes; you have to shape the wax ring to make it seal.

Type in offset flange in google and somewhere in the list of images that specific flange will show up.

- - - - - -

Always be aware of cross-connections in your potable water systems---They could one day harm you and your loved ones.

Reply To This Message

Typical offset flange.Like I said earlier, I have never done anything different with the wax ring when setting a toilet with this type of flange.No need to.Before the days of wax rings all we ever used was plumbers putty .Sorry ,but I have to disagree with re- shaping the wax ring.It works for me.

Edited 1 times.

Reply To This Message

Author: HytechPlumber (LA)

The problem with an offset flange is you do not have the added support of the riser pipe to prevent the wax ring from falling into the pipe. Installing the wax ring is the same as a standard flange I just like to push it down some so it holds in place.

On a standard flange the 4" pipe usually comes up all the way to the wax ring. (4" ID)

On an offset flange the riser pipe does not come up all the way leaving approx. a 4 1/2" ID on a plastic flange and approx. 5" ID on a cast iron flange.

All though it is not required you can add some wax to insure a smooth transition at the offset. Especially on the cast iron pipe with lead joint. Usually I make sure there are not any little sharp edges that may possibly grab on to tissue.

... ...... X ......... Good Luck .....

Reply To This Message

I am thinking of a cast-iron flange. No need to be rude.......

Reply To This Message

Author: dlh (TX)

"On a standard flange the 4" pipe usually comes up all the way to the wax ring. (4" ID) "

that is only for certain types . pvc is one that does not go all the way to the wax seal normally

- - - - - - -

PLUMBERS "Protecting The Health Of The Nation"

Reply To This Message

Author: kaw (CA)

I saw an offset flange a few weeks ago that was all plastic and it was oval not round.The first one iv'e ever seen like that.I had splice two wax rings togeather or the wax would not seal the flange.

Edited 1 times.

Reply To This Message

I bet you set this one....

Reshaped is better....

Edited 1 times.

Reply To This Message

That pic scared me when I first looked. I wasn't sure what it was. And apon further investigation I don't know if that is an offset flange. But, if you feel you must re-shape your wax rings I'd say go for it.

Reply To This Message

With that type of flange there is no choice. Out of the package ring will end up in the drain, the same as that one, just causing blockages.

Reply To This Message

Author: hj

You must have the offset flange with an ";oval" opening, which is the worst kind. You have to use part of 2 wax rings and join them together to make the ring big enough to go around the opening. This assumes the bolt slots have not deformed by now so the flange is about to fail.

Reply To This Message

It does if you use a 4" that slips OVER the pipe, and then cut the pipe off flush.

Reply To This Message

quote; The face of an offset that meets the toilet is exactly the same as a straight flange.

HE is talking about the offsets that have an ";oval" opening, and a "shelf" below the toilet outlet.

Reply To This Message

They make the same shape in plastic.

Reply To This Message

What was interesting about the early version of the cast iron flange, was that there were to "tabs" inside the "straight" side. They were there so you could put a closet bolt between them and use the offset to move the toilet sideways. The only problem with that was that it put the wax ring OUTSIDE the closet bolt, so unless the bolt hole was filled with wax, there was no water or sewer gas seal at that bolt.

Reply To This Message

A round wax ring will NOT cover an oval opening. Check you mathematics comparing the perimeter of a circle and an ellipse.

Reply To This Message

Pictures do not look like an offset flange.

Reply To This Message

Author: moosefish (MI)

hj, your responses are very hard to understand because I can't tell who you are responding to when you leave a battery of replies all in a row. I think it is partly do to this site though, because it doesn't show exactly which comment you are responding to.

Reply To This Message

OK hj I have the oval type in pvc and I built a wall of wax on the thin side of the flange and the wax is holding but what I saw was there was a gap between the flange and the pipe and still when it flushes I get a coupe of drops of water at the drain elbow,I don't think the pipe is connected to the flange,I think it should be.the other scenario would be that the flange is not mounted good and pulls up when tightening the bolts down but I'm not going to mess with it to find out,right now its working and the next step is to call a licensed plumber and see what's going on.

Reply To This Message

It was an offset flange but regardless that wax ring would fall into the pipe if it wasn't reshaped. That is what caused there problem in the first place.

Reply To This Message

Your site's menu should have an arrow/line from my reply up to the one it refers to. It would be even messier to reply to everyone in the same posting, especially since it is a dynamic site which grows continually.

Reply To This Message

The problem is not the wax ring falling into the pipe, it is that there is no seal unless the wax ring completely encircles the flange's opening. This would be one case where putting the wax on the bowl would be the wrong way, if the installer was not paying attention to what he was doing.

Reply To This Message

I don't know how many toilets I've set probably in the thousands and I've never reshaped a wax ring.I've doubled them and molded them. I've also never had a call back where the wax ring fell into the flange, or leaked at the flange to toilet connection. But, I guess it is possible it seems someone would have to do something wrong for this to happen. I've also never seen an oval offest but I'm sure they make them I dont see how the flange could be oval when the toilet outlet is round.

Reply To This Message

Author: dlh (TX)

i agree and have had similar experience as bill

- - - - - - -

PLUMBERS "Protecting The Health Of The Nation"

Reply To This Message

Thank's to all for helping me diagnose the leak,it turned out to be where I thought it was,the separation of the flange to the pipe I guess whoever did it from the beginning did not fasten the two correctly and over time left a gap allowing the liquids to leak out slowly around the pipe and down.

Reply To This Message

I googled ";oval offset closet flange" and all I found was HJ posting about them on other forums

Reply To This Message

Author: sum (FL)

our sponsor sells a brass flange that looks oval.

Reply To This Message

The "ring is almost round, but the outlet is at the rear of it. This means the front is over a "ledge" and the "flange" at the rear is almost as thin as the wall of a pipe, so the wax seal does not have much to bond to.

Reply To This Message

Do an Internet search for "Aubuchon 671638" and you will see one. Notice the two "tabs" inside on the left for the closet bolt when it is used sideways. Also notice that the closet bolt would then be INSIDE the wax seal.

Reply To This Message

similar to the ABS and PVC. That one is 4", when it is for a 3" pipe, the "ledge" is more pronounced, since it extends an additonal 1" backwards.

Reply To This Message

Thanks for the pic. I would never install a flange that looks like that (no offense to our sponsor). That would explain some of the prior posts. Why would anyone install a flange where the mating surface is thinner on one side?

Reply To This Message

Just to correct bad roughs or so they think...

Reply To This Message

Author: hillbillyles (MO)

That is the one I have in the house we just bought...the ";oval" opening offset flange into 3" pipe. We are replacing the commode and I was good to go until I tried to fit the standard round wax ring onto the oblong hole of the offset flange. There is about a 1/2" opening on the backside (side with the 2 "tabs).

Do they make an oblong/oval wax ring or some sort of oval to round adapter or how would one seal it, now that you have found the one the original poster apparently was speaking of?

Thanks

Edited 1 times.

Reply To This Message

Author: hillbillyles (MO)

Here is a good picture of what I am trying to install my new commode onto. The oval opening is about 3/4" to 1" longer(same width)than the standard round was ring I have and I have not found anything in oval shape. since it is sold with that shape opening I would think there would be a matching ring available but have had trouble just finding a picture of the flange...much less a matching ring.

Any ideas?

Reply To This Message

Author: justincase (NJ)

hillbillyles,
I have the same flange it's a pain in the butt. They don't make an oval wax seal, you have to make one from two wax seals, cut one seal and add a piece to it. I would return that flange and buy one from Lowe's much better design.

Reply To This Message

Note: Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.

Warning: Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.

Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.

Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try Heatinghelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Please visit:
FAMOUS PLUMBINGSUPPLY the award winning plumbing, kitchen and bath catalog. The largest selection of plumbing products and supplies on the net with pver 1,600 pages in our online plumbing catalog. Since 1995 the PlumbingSupply Group has been serving the entire Internet community.

Click here to view our old forum messages

Please visit:
FAMOUS PLUMBINGSUPPLY the award winning plumbing, kitchen and bath catalog. The largest selection of plumbing products and supplies on the net with over 1,600 pages in our online plumbing catalog. Since 1995 the PlumbingSupply Group has been serving the entire Internet community.

to: Contact Us
to: Plumbing Manufacturers Address Directory
to: Plumbing Links Site
to: theplumber.com
to: Plbg Statistics
to: our FAQ's
to: Advisor List
to: How to show an image
to: Tankless Water Heaters
to: Common Plumbing Terms