Welcome to Plbg.com
Welcome to the Popular Plumbing, Kitchen, Bath Advice Site
Special thanks to:
FAMOUS PLUMBINGSUPPLY the award winning plumbing, kitchen and bath catalog. The largest selection of plumbing products and supplies on the net with over 1,600 pages. Since 1995 the PlumbingSupply Group has been serving the entire Internet community.
www.PlumbingForum.com
THE Dynamic Plumbing, Kitchen and Bath, Information, Advice and Sharing Forum
click here to learn how to show an image on PLBG.com

Over 515,000 Posts in over 150k Threads

By far the most popular STRICTLY PLUMBING INFORMATION SHARING FORUM board on the Net. Ask any toilet, sink, faucet, pump, water quality and other plumbing related questions here. Plumbing professional and DIY tips, tricks, shortcuts, remodeling, plumbing advice forum and blog. Please refrain from asking business, pricing, legal or any other non strictly plumbing related questions. 

New TopicSearchLog In Newest Messages
 Tub drain slip joint stuck
Author: DaveTu (FL)

Hi.

New to this forum, but really need some help here....doing a home project for the wife...replacing old cast iron tub with new tub, redoing entire bathroom....I have broken up the old cast iron tub and am trying to replace the drain piping now....will be installing a cast iron claw foot tub....I need to get the old drain piping out....I have removed the tar, dug out some dirt...and have gotten the PVC slip joint nut loose but I cannot budge the brass pipe going down into the slip joint...I have tried using pipe wrenches and afraid I am going to break something that I will really regret...any secrets like heating the brass slightly or using TNT or ???? really need help on this one....not a plumber,,just trying my best....thanks pic below

Reply To This Message

Re: Tub drain slip joint stuck
Author: dlh (TX)

your pipe wrench is around the riser from the trap. if that is where you have been trying to get the waste/overflow out then that is your problem.

it is most likely just stuck really good from all the years of use and expansion and contraction of the materials

- - - - - - -

PLUMBERS "Protecting The Health Of The Nation"

Reply To This Message

I agree....like I said,,,the nut just above the pipe wrench is loose, and I want to take out the metal piece above to replace with new....but it wont budge and I am afraid that I will break the PVC stuff below....any suggestions....thanks

Reply To This Message

Author: dlh (TX)

nope. it should come out by twisting and turning while pulling up. it just might take a few tries

- - - - - - -

PLUMBERS "Protecting The Health Of The Nation"

Reply To This Message

Yes...agree again.....thanks for the input....I guess I'll just keep trying...

Reply To This Message

Author: hj (AZ)

The outside of the brass tubing has corroded and expanded which has made it too tight to come out easily. If it will not turn, which is probably the case, you can unscrew the tee from the tubing, and then very carefully cut the tubing out of the PVC riser.

Reply To This Message

thanks for that input....I will take a look at that.....not sure of how to cut the tubing out of there....but it all helps.....will def. give it a try....

thanks again.

Reply To This Message

Author: hj (AZ)

Cuting it out would be easier if it were a metal pipe instead of PVC, because you could damage the PVC if you do not do it carefully and properly.

Reply To This Message

Author: HytechPlumber (LA)

Do you know if the new tub will work with the existing drain pipe location ?

You are doing right by not placing any heavy force on the pvc pipe.

You may have to dig down another 6" or so to see if you can find an area to cut the PVC pipe where you can glue a new adapter or coupling, (or both)

It would be better to do a controlled cut than breaking the pipe further down.

Sometimes when installing a new tub the pipe may need to be located a few inches more away from the wall. If that were the case than you may have to dig it down futher to install a couple st. 45's on the riser.

"Plan your work" then "Work your plan."

......................... Good Luck

Reply To This Message

Author: AW Plumb (SC)

Hytech said it best.. dig it down a little bit further and cut the pvc a little lower (if there is enough riser from the trap).. First I would cut the brass off a couple of inches above the top of the adapter, then put my tape inside the pipe to see how deep the the riser is.. if you have enough room go ahead and lop off (using fine metal blade in reciprocating saw OR cable saw) the section with the old brass tub drain.. Or you could continue to wiggle and grunt trying to wrestle it out.. either way, Best of luck!

Reply To This Message

Note: Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.

Warning: Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.

Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.

Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try Heatinghelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Please visit:
FAMOUS PLUMBINGSUPPLY the award winning plumbing, kitchen and bath catalog. The largest selection of plumbing products and supplies on the net with pver 1,600 pages in our online plumbing catalog. Since 1995 the PlumbingSupply Group has been serving the entire Internet community.

Click here to view our old forum messages

Please visit:
FAMOUS PLUMBINGSUPPLY the award winning plumbing, kitchen and bath catalog. The largest selection of plumbing products and supplies on the net with over 1,600 pages in our online plumbing catalog. Since 1995 the PlumbingSupply Group has been serving the entire Internet community.

to: Contact Us
to: Plumbing Manufacturers Address Directory
to: Plumbing Links Site
to: theplumber.com
to: Plbg Statistics
to: our FAQ's
to: Advisor List
to: How to show an image
to: Tankless Water Heaters
to: Common Plumbing Terms