Welcome to Plbg.com Welcome to the Popular Plumbing, Kitchen, Bath Advice Site
The Leading Online Plumbing Supplier Since 1995
www.PlumbingForum.com
THE Dynamic Plumbing, Kitchen and Bath, Information, Advice and Sharing Forum

Over 520,000 Posts in over 150k Threads

By far the most popular STRICTLY PLUMBING INFORMATION SHARING FORUM board on the Net. Ask any toilet, sink, faucet, pump, water quality and other plumbing related questions here. Plumbing professional and DIY tips, tricks, shortcuts, remodeling, plumbing advice forum and blog. Please refrain from asking business, pricing, legal or any other non strictly plumbing related questions. 

New TopicSearchLog In Newest Messages
 kink in drain snake
Author: kaw (CA)

I have a small 25 foot drain snake that is powered by an electric drill.I was using it the other day and kinked it.I was thinking about heating it up with a torch to straiten it out.I was wondering if thats a good way to do it or is there a better way.

Reply To This Message

Re: kink in drain snake
Author: steve_g (CA)

The better way is to go to the store & buy a replacement cable. Sorry to say, they don't last forever. The last thing you'd want is for the snake to break apart inside a drain.

Reply To This Message

Author: Nayman's Drain Services (Non-US)

I've had to retrieve a few Customer's cables.Generally, I've found tha after a Client has had a go at it, and can't get it to work, he spends more $$$$$ than if he'd called me in the first place.(Not a punishment thing, but the amount of hours spent trynig to fix his screw-ups.

Once a cable is kinked, replace it. Professional cables are made from aircraft grade, and will never straighten out again. Unfortunately (or fortunately), I have never had the pleasure(?) of checking out toys.

Reply To This Message

Author: LemonPlumber (FL)

put it in a vise and re-bend it with a pipe wrench.no heat.but as said it is done and now a larger problem of breaking off in a drain could occur.this weak spoy will never be the same.

Reply To This Message

Author: REALROMEO (MA)

FOR $30 or so you can get a brand new one at
Home DEPOT. AS mentioned trying to use old kinked
cable is going to cost you alot of money
when it gets stuck in the drain pipe.
BEST WISHES
BILL

Reply To This Message

Author: hj (AZ)

That snake is such poor quality, that if you do anything to it, such as heat it, it may snap the next time you use it. Those 1/4" x 25' snakes, especially the ones at HD and Lowes, are VERY cheap so just buy a new one.

Reply To This Message

YOu really think it would cost $30.00? I would guess closer to $10.00, but I could be wrong since I have never priced one.

Reply To This Message

The cable on this snake is about 5/16 to 3/8 x 25 foot and it's good quality.The whole unit runs arount $350.00, it's powered by a built in electric drill motor.I very seldom use it because I don't do drain cleaning.Use it mainly for my own stuff.I thought maybe save a few bucks.

Reply To This Message

whoo 350 would not cover the heads cost for the drum pack.

Reply To This Message

In that case, how did you kink it, because "good" cables that size are very difficult to kink.

Reply To This Message

My boss asks me that all the time.force shear brute strength.But after a few years of every kind of caustic chemical known to man has had it's way with my cables .I did ask for all new spools .4,000.just to cover the large machines.Still dealing with six year old middle size 5/8 with a couple of bends.The 7/8" will go in the trash if it even looks crooked any more.Nothing like finding forty feet of cable a couple hundred yards from where it went in at.Thank God for manholes!!!

Reply To This Message

Well maybe it's not as good of cable as I thought.I just wanted to clarify that it was'nt one of those $30.00 drain snake you can buy at home depot.I was running the cable through the drain and it quit spining and knotted up .I was unable to shut it off fast enough.I was probably going to fast and lost control.Anyway thats my story and im sticking to it.

Reply To This Message

crap happens how you get past it to get the job done.I like .

Reply To This Message

Author: jimmy-o (CA)

A good quality ( General ) 3/8 X 35' cable will run you about $75. Heating a cable will damage the temper and it may not be usable after.

Reply To This Message

Another factor in the life of a cable is the direction it is wound. I always use left wound cables because they "tighten" up when the going gets tough. Right wound ones "open" up and they can kink or snap easier.

Reply To This Message

Author: Nayman's Drain Services (Non-US)

I only use General.
Aircraft type cable. And I always ask my customers if the have put anything down their drain. Caustics and acids eat thru the cable.
I'd sooner use a Drain King to open a drain if they have put crap down the tubes. Then auger

Reply To This Message

Like half my customers know where the sink is but they do not personally use it!And the maid and house man have no idea why four half gallon containers of professional strength liquid plumber ended up in the recycle bin.I cannot always tell at the start but know when the smell or the burn comes back through my gloves.I drop snake oil in or on the spools but ,It really does not seem to help.It is part of our cable charge now.Which doubles when I suspect chemicals.

Reply To This Message

Note: Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.

Warning: Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.

Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.

Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try Heatinghelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Click here to view our old forum messages

to: Contact Us
to: Plumbing Manufacturers Address Directory
to: Plumbing Links Site
to: How to show an image
to: theplumber.com
to: Plbg Statistics
to: our FAQ's
to: Advisor List
to: Common Plumbing Terms
The Leading Online Plumbing Supplier Since 1995 The Leading Online Plumbing Supplier Since 1995

Copyright© 2014 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.