Welcome to Plbg.com
Welcome to the Popular Plumbing, Kitchen, Bath Advice Site
Special thanks to:
FAMOUS PLUMBINGSUPPLY the award winning plumbing, kitchen and bath catalog. The largest selection of plumbing products and supplies on the net with over 1,600 pages. Since 1995 the PlumbingSupply Group has been serving the entire Internet community.
www.PlumbingForum.com
THE Dynamic Plumbing, Kitchen and Bath, Information, Advice and Sharing Forum
click here to learn how to show an image on PLBG.com

Over 510,000 Posts in over 150k Threads

By far the most popular STRICTLY PLUMBING INFORMATION SHARING FORUM board on the Net. Ask any toilet, sink, faucet, pump, water quality and other plumbing related questions here. Plumbing professional and DIY tips, tricks, shortcuts, remodeling, plumbing advice forum and blog. Please refrain from asking business, pricing, legal or any other non strictly plumbing related questions. 

New TopicSearchLog In Newest Messages
 Bathroom water
Author: tlovell214 (PA)

My son went to take a shower this morning and noticed the water wouldn't go on. So I went to check it out. We have running water, no problem everywhere else in the house. However the shower won't go on and the little piece you push in to get it to switch from bath to shower won't go in and stay in, so all you get is a tiny trickle of water coming out of the faucet. Also the hot water in the bathroom sink won't go on either. Cold water is fine in the sink. ?? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Reply To This Message

Re: Bathroom water
Author: Nayman's Drain Services (Non-US)

have you shut the water off at any time lately?

Reply To This Message

no, not at all. I just used the water from the tub faucet last night to fill out my baby's little tub and the water came out fine.

Reply To This Message

it seems to me that your pressure piping to your bathroom is run off the same line, and there is a blockage before the Tee.
If you can,shut off the water under your basin, take off the line from under your lav, and open it, having a pail to catch it.
If you have full flow, the problem is in your faucets. If not, it's in the line further back.

Reply To This Message

I'll give that a try. I just thought it odd that the cold water to the sink works but nothing else.

Reply To This Message

Is it cold there?
Hot water pipes freeze before cold ones.
Do the pipes run by an outside wall? (they maybe frozen)
Are you able to follow the pipes down? or are they buried in a finished basement?

Reply To This Message

I'll be online for a little bit longer, so if you can, stay here and get back to me asap.

Reply To This Message

Author: hj

They are probably frozen. IF you get any water coming out of the faucet leave it turned on and at least one of them, hot or cold, should start flowing fairly soon. DO NOT leave the faucet on if you go away, because when it does thaw, you could flood the house.

Reply To This Message

Edited 1 times.

Reply To This Message

It is cold here, but not abnormally cold. It's been in the 20's and 30's and like I said the hot water everywhere else in the house works just fine. We have cold water coming out of the upstairs sink but can get no other water in the upstairs bathroom (other than a trickle).

Reply To This Message

are your bathroom pipes running next to an outside wall?

Reply To This Message

not sure, how can I tell? But if pipes were frozen, wouldn't that effect the cold water to the sink too? If it's only the hot water pipe, then why would the cold not work in the shower either?

Reply To This Message

are you saying the cold in the shower does not work either?
Strange as it may sound, hot water will freeze faster than cold

Reply To This Message

Yep that's what I am saying. I can't get any water to come out of the shower (other than a trickle at the faucet), I thought it might have something to do with the piece you push in to switch from faucet to shower because it won't stay in when you push it in, but then you would think I'd at least get water from the faucet. The sink in the same bathroom is where I get cold water but no hot.

Reply To This Message

The diverter will not stay out/in unless there is water pressure to keep it in place

I'm off to work now. Hopefully one of the other guys can help you further

Edited 1 times.

Reply To This Message

got ya. Ok. That explains that anyway

Reply To This Message

Author: Wheelchair

Besides debris in the water line preventing the shower valve from working you have the hand/finger test. Working backwards, touch the pipes while the water is turned on. Feel any exposed pipes and work backwards to the water neater. Hot water pipes should not feel cold to the touch, until the pipe is frozen. The shower diverter only switches the available water from the spout to the showerhead.

Best Wishes

Edited 1 times.

Reply To This Message

THANK YOU ALL

I want to thank everyone for your help. Spoke to my husband while he was at work. Turns out he turned the water off to the bathroom last night for something he was doing and forgot to put it back on. Problem solved. Thankfully that's all it was.

Edited 1 times.

Reply To This Message

ANYTHING below 32 degrees is "abnormally cold" when it comes to water pipes. You ARE describing a frozen hot water line, although it is possible for there to be other causes, but without being there we cannot even begin to guess what they could be.

Reply To This Message

Your shower has a safety device, so that if EITHER the hot or cold does not work, the other one will not either.

Reply To This Message

Re: THANK YOU ALL

Husbands turning off the hot water to a bathroom is NOT a normal problem and therefore it is not one we would consider until we tested your system and found the closed valve. IT is also unusual to even have a valve that could turn off one bathroom and not the entire house. To solve your problem, given the data we had, would have required a "crystal ball" which had just had its 1,000 hour tuneup.

Reply To This Message

Note: Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.

Warning: Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.

Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.

Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try Heatinghelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Please visit:
FAMOUS PLUMBINGSUPPLY the award winning plumbing, kitchen and bath catalog. The largest selection of plumbing products and supplies on the net with pver 1,600 pages in our online plumbing catalog. Since 1995 the PlumbingSupply Group has been serving the entire Internet community.

Click here to view our old forum messages

Please visit:
FAMOUS PLUMBINGSUPPLY the award winning plumbing, kitchen and bath catalog. The largest selection of plumbing products and supplies on the net with over 1,600 pages in our online plumbing catalog. Since 1995 the PlumbingSupply Group has been serving the entire Internet community.

to: Contact Us
to: Plumbing Manufacturers Address Directory
to: Plumbing Links Site
to: theplumber.com
to: Plbg Statistics
to: our FAQ's
to: Advisor List
to: How to show an image
to: Tankless Water Heaters
to: Common Plumbing Terms