Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 No Water Coming Out Of Tub Faucet Or Shower Head..
Author: cm11599ps (NY)

I have a single knob for the water in my shower. You push the knob up to get the flow going and push it left for hot water, right for cold water. There is a diverter vavle underneath the knob where you push it in for the shower head, pull it out for the tub faucet.

For the past 2 weeks or so it seems the diverter valve would push itself out whenever we turned the water off because the next time we showered the water would come from the tub faucet. A simple push in and all was well.

Today everything stopped working altogether. The water only trickles out of either faucet. The diverter doesn't go in and out smoothly anymore and there's even times where water streams out from the valve into the tub. It kind of looks like one of those outdoor water features.

In the course of playing with the diverter we did get the correct flow going for a secdond or two but then it trickled again. We haven't been able to get it back again since.

When you push the water knob up about halfway you can hear the slight sound of water running through the pipes. When you push it all the way up (full force) the sound disappears.

I called and left a message for my plumber about 6pm today and am hoping he's not on vacation for the holidays. Any ideas?

Re: No Water Coming Out Of Tub Faucet Or Shower Head..
Author: PlumberManDan (IA)

The diverter is faulty and needs to be replaced, Sounds like a Delta pushbutton style diverter

PlumbCat TM 2003

Plumbermandan

Author: hj (AZ)

The diverter is supposed to pop out EVERY TIME when you turn the water off, so if yours didn't it was already going bad. However, it should only cause the water to flow from the tub or shower, but NOT stop the flow to both, so you do need a plumber. At the very least he has to replace your diverter valve.

Of course I called my plumber yesterday and he's on vacation. lol

To me the water would come out of either the tub or shower regardless of wheterh the diverter was broken or not. It would seem the problem is perhaps with the knob assembly itself, almost as if there's some sort of blockage in the output of the knob.

That's about it, but from your description you do need a new diverter.

Author: mr plumber 1 (Non-US)

The diverter defo needs replacing, Its a simple task too,

Edited 1 times.

Ended up going to HD and couldn't find the diverter. I saw every other brand and shape but not mine. I then dug through all the hanging boxes and found it hiding in the very back behind a bunch of other ones. I got the last one in the store and it was full of dust.

Got home and had a hell of a time trying to remove the old diverter, even with WD-40. It finally came out but a piece or two stayed behind in the pipes which I was able to remove with soem pliers. I put the new one on and turned the water on. I was able to get running water through the tub but still nothing from the shower.

Turned the water off again and took apart the shower arm. Turns out the tiny little piece of plastic that broke on my diverter shot up the pipes and was now blocking the shower head. Took it out, reassembled everything and we can now take showers! Woo Hoo!

The reason I had no water was that my diverter was broken in the "shower" position with nio way for the water to get to the tub faucet. The little piece of plastic shoot up the pipes and was now blocking the shower head. As a result, I had blockages at both ends of the line so that's why my water was trickling.

I also ended up buying a new knob and the round faceplate to make everything shiny again. Wifey loved it.

Thanks for all your help!

Interesting, because when the little plastic piece broke off there should have been nothing to stop the water from going to the tub, because the little plastic piece is what does it.

The actual plastic part of the diverter was there. What broke was the eye of the plastic piece that had a pin inserted through it to connect it to the stem. That's why the tub wasn't working because the eye broke while the diverter was in the shower position and the broken eye shot up into the shower arm.

There was no way to have the tub on because the plastic part was no longer attached to the diverter so even if you pulled it out the plastic piecve didn't move.

Thanks again everyone!

another interesting thing about that type of diverter. Usually when it comes apart, the spring shoots the stem out of the wall and it hits you right where it hurts the most.

Author: LemonPlumber (FL)

thanks www.MR dumber on line/plumber what was the crape you listed good for???free advertising should make you look good not stupid!

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.