Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Installing new toilet flange on concrete question
Author: alicenfred (CO)

I have a toilet flange question.New Construction.
I am installing a new toilet flange on a basement bathroom concrete floor. I am also installing new ceramic tile.Do I cut a hole in the tile and install the toilet flange on top of the tile, or do I install the toilet flange on top of the concrete and cut the tile around it?
Also what is the best way to anchor down the flange to the concrete? I have been told tapcon screws work best? Thanks

Re: Installing new toilet flange on concrete question
Author: dlh (TX)

you can install the flange before tile if you want but you need to shim it using shims the same thickness as the tile since the bottom of the flange ring should sit on top of the tile.

stainless steel screws would be your best bet to anchor it to the floor and 100% brass screws for the toilet bolts to avoid them rusting and being difficult to remove when and if needed

- - - - - - -

PLUMBERS "Protecting The Health Of The Nation"

Author: packy (MA)

flange ontop of tile. drill holes and use tapcons to secure it.
use a flange with a stainless steel ring.

What does the stainless steel ring do?

the stainless steel ring has slots for holding the toilet bolts and has holes for securing the flange to the floor...

I already have a black abs flange, it also has slots for the bolts and holes to fasten it down. Is this ok?
Also, how long should the tapcons be, or how far into the concrete do they need to go? Thanks

Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

The one pictured is much better than the one you have, I would exchange it. I'd go with 1 3/4" tapcons, that'll get you thru the flange, tile, and into the concrete at least an inch.

the problem with the plastic ringed flange is that the plastic can bend enough that the bolts can come loose from the slots.

Thanks for the info everyone! I will exchange my flange for the stainless steel one.

Merry Christmas!!

I went to home depot to purchase a new stainless steel toilet flange and the guy there told me that my pipe that the toilet flange goes into is to small. The inside diameter of the pipe is 3". He said it would get plugged up. Is this true? The pipe was installed when my house was built in 2001 and I told the plumber that I wanted the plumbing for a half bath roughed in so I could add a bathroom later on.
They make a toilet flange that is 3" that will fit in the pipe. I just don't understand. Why would they make a flange that small if it was going to plug up?

Author: CasualJoe (MO)

There is a reason the guy works at Home Depot and not in the plumbing trade. I have also run into many sales people at Home Depot and Lowes who don't know the trades or the products they are supposed to be selling.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.