Welcome to Plbg.com
Welcome to the Popular Plumbing, Kitchen, Bath Advice Site
Special thanks to:
FAMOUS PLUMBINGSUPPLY the award winning plumbing, kitchen and bath catalog. The largest selection of plumbing products and supplies on the net with over 1,600 pages. Since 1995 the PlumbingSupply Group has been serving the entire Internet community.
www.PlumbingForum.com
THE Dynamic Plumbing, Kitchen and Bath, Information, Advice and Sharing Forum
click here to learn how to show an image on PLBG.com

Over 515,000 Posts in over 150k Threads

By far the most popular STRICTLY PLUMBING INFORMATION SHARING FORUM board on the Net. Ask any toilet, sink, faucet, pump, water quality and other plumbing related questions here. Plumbing professional and DIY tips, tricks, shortcuts, remodeling, plumbing advice forum and blog. Please refrain from asking business, pricing, legal or any other non strictly plumbing related questions. 

New TopicSearchLog In Newest Messages
 undermount sink...silicone or adhesive caulk
Author: waukeshaplumbing (WI)

The counter top guys didnt mount my sinks...even though its not in my contract ill do it since its a new builder and i want to go with the flow.

i have to mount them myself and feel silicone will make a huge mess while i learn how to mount them....im planning on clear adhesive caulk instead...

i dont know how i would clean up the silicone if i use it instead?

mineral spirits?...it has concrete countertops..would the mineral spirits hurt the sink or concrete?

i dont have time to go pick up mineral spirits anyways...i hate dealing with silicone....

any one have any advice on the neg's of using adhesive caulk instead?

Reply To This Message

Re: undermount sink...silicone or adhesive caulk
Author: jimmy-o (CA)

There is nothing wrong with a good adhesive caulk....get the type which says "kitchen and bath" or such, meaning it has mildew inhibitive properties.

Mineral spirits I think works on silicone, but I prefer denatured alcohol. But water based products are a lot easier!

Reply To This Message

i only buy the highend antimold caulk

Reply To This Message

Author: dlh (TX)

i dont remember exactly what the granite guys around here use but it looks similar to jb weld.

- - - - - - -

PLUMBERS "Protecting The Health Of The Nation"

Reply To This Message

Author: Shoemaker2 (MA)

When I use silicone I mask with tape, the surfaces adjacent to the joint, then use a little dish soap on my finger to smooth the joint. After the joint is complete but still wet, I pull off the tape and it leaves a perfect job.

Reply To This Message

Author: PlumberManDan (IA)

Neither, I would insist that the countertop contractor install the sink, You can not just "GLUE" a SS sink to the underside of a concrete countertop and expect it to NOT have problems. You need to do some research or have the people that Specialize install it. Why take on something that you have No experience with in a house that you will be critiqued to the point of losing money.

PlumbCat TM 2003

Plumbermandan

Reply To This Message

Author: packy (MA)

i agree....
it's not just mounting the sink. it is drilling the holes and setting the anchors for the clips to attach to.
i've not worked with cement counters but with granite, they use a special epoxy to set the anchors into.
i have used silicone and cleaned up with denatured alcohol to set a few undermount sinks but the holes/anchors were already done. it is not that difficult. as i said. the drilling and epoxy are the scary parts.
P/S, after setting the sink, the silicone joint is underneath and visible only by sticking your head below the level of the counter. impossibe to do with a sink full of dishes..

Reply To This Message

Author: hj (AZ)

I put the silicone on the sink rim and then press the sink in place and secure it. I assume these are UNDERTOP mounts. If not then use tub and tile caulk and caulk around the edges. Just remember, once you START installing the sinks, you will NEVER be able to stop. I would not start in the first place.

Reply To This Message

Author: dlh (TX)

i want the counter guys to do it as i dont want to take the chance of messing up that expensive counter and not having a scape goat when/if the sink itself falls

- - - - - - -

PLUMBERS "Protecting The Health Of The Nation"

Reply To This Message

Author: SwimRunPlumb (MI)

You are crazy to even attempt this.

Using adhesive caulk is even crazier. I have seen these sinks come unattached more than once. You have to use 2 part epoxy at least. Silicone is not even a good choice.

If you do mount it, are you going to drill the holes also, and how?? Demand that the counter top guys FINISH THEIR JOB.

Reply To This Message

One other point. The concrete was not poured in mid air, so there has to be a wood, or some other material, base under the concrete. Was it cut back far enough so the sink will touch the bottom of the concrete?

Reply To This Message

these were bathroom sinks w/ concrete couter tops

white kohler undermounts

the clips were already tapcon'd and ready for me.

the countertop guys didnt drill my holes in the concrete for the WP tub deck correctly either...they made 1 1/8" hole when Kohler needs 1 1/2" for the handles..

the whole thing is goofy....i did the sinks for FREE too....im making decent $ on this job and have done a few extra's for free...its a great new high end customer...i also know they think my prices are low (which i havent heard in over a year)...so i will add extra on the next job to cover these extra's which may occure on all their jobs...

it took 1/2 hour to do both sinks...i also agree its the countertop guys responsibility....

Reply To This Message

You probably go the job because you were low, not because they liked your work. You will find out once you raise your price, and someone else is lower. Most contractors are looking for the lowest price, and are not TOO concerned with the quality as long as the job looks good and works.

Reply To This Message

Note: Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.

Warning: Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.

Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.

Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try Heatinghelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Please visit:
FAMOUS PLUMBINGSUPPLY the award winning plumbing, kitchen and bath catalog. The largest selection of plumbing products and supplies on the net with pver 1,600 pages in our online plumbing catalog. Since 1995 the PlumbingSupply Group has been serving the entire Internet community.

Click here to view our old forum messages

Please visit:
FAMOUS PLUMBINGSUPPLY the award winning plumbing, kitchen and bath catalog. The largest selection of plumbing products and supplies on the net with over 1,600 pages in our online plumbing catalog. Since 1995 the PlumbingSupply Group has been serving the entire Internet community.

to: Contact Us
to: Plumbing Manufacturers Address Directory
to: Plumbing Links Site
to: theplumber.com
to: Plbg Statistics
to: our FAQ's
to: Advisor List
to: How to show an image
to: Tankless Water Heaters
to: Common Plumbing Terms