Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Barbers Loop
Author: Ben Fisher (Non-US)

What is a Barbers Loop and how is it done or laid out. I know that it's used as a drain/vent configuration for a sink that is not near a wall, i.e. an island with a sink. Could any body show me a drawing ?. There may be a different name for this type of venting, I heard it called a Barbers Loop. Thanks, Ben

Re: Barbers Loop
Author: LemonPlumber (FL)

hum [@#$%&[img215.imageshack.us]][/URL] these?

Author: x apprentice 22 (MA)

Wouldn t the center drawing fill with condensate?thinking

Edited 1 times.

Author: packy (MA)

this is an island vent...

Author: hj (AZ)

NUmbers 2 & 4 would not typically be permitted.

Author: dlh (TX)

code books refer to it as a "loop vent"

- - - - - - -

PLUMBERS "Protecting The Health Of The Nation"

We called it a "yoke vent" because it looks like the device they use when milking cows. And "loop vent" usually has a different connotation, similar to a circuit vent.

Edited 1 times.

the word yoke does not trigger anything in my mind that would have the word loop in it and is why i think they are talking about a loop vent and not a yoke vent. i could definitely be wrong though

- - - - - - -

Take your "loop vent" put it in a barn. Then walk the cow up to it and stick its head through the opening between the two risers. Now the cow is safely yoked and you can milk it without getting kicked.

ok but i thought we were talking about plumbing vents not milking cows

- - - - - - -

We were, and the cow analogy describes the vent the best. But since plumbing has some of the most vulgar, possibly sexist, terminology, you should have had no problem with the "mixed metaphor".

Author: plumb-bobII (VA)

Yoke vents are commonly used in high rise buildings where the waste stack ties into the vent stack usually every 6 floors.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Since 1995 (3 years before Google started) PlumbingSupply.com has been THE best plumbing supplier on the web. Please visit our sponsor [www.PlumbingSupply.com]

Author: Ben Fisher (Non-US)

Thanks for your reply, I'm sure that this is what I am looking for (an island vent). Thanks again. Ben

Those are "relief vents".

Author: LemonPlumber (FL)

Hj when the vent is at the top tie in on an inverted wye and the bottom a standing wye, it is referred to as a yoke vent here. /exception for sizing \allowing above tie in water flow to yoke.Used widely for multi story kitchen wm waste verticals.

As Abraham Lincoln once said when he asked the question, "IF you call a donkey's tail a leg, how many legs does he have? He answered his own question by stating that you can call a tail a leg or anything else but it is still a tail." You can call it a yoke vent, or anything else, but the rest of the industry, as far as I have ever heard or seen, calls it a relief vent.

It's been in the code books for many years on the East Coast. But then again, you might not know what a shoebe is either.....

Since 1995 (3 years before Google started) PlumbingSupply.com has been THE best plumbing supplier on the web. Please visit our sponsor [www.PlumbingSupply.com]

Nope, but then I am not from New York or Pennsylvania, and have never been to a Jersey beach, and even if I had, I would not have brought my lunch in a ShoeB(ox).

If you did visit, you would probably be recognized quikly. Wearing shoes on the beach!

Would blue jeans also be a clue? What do you do with shoebe's? Do you tie them to a boat and use them for shark bait, but tell them you are taking them waterskiing?

Edited 1 times.

laughing

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.