Welcome to Plbg.com Welcome to the Popular Plumbing, Kitchen, Bath Advice Site
  We're sponsored by:
The Leading Online Plumbing Supplier Since 1995
www.PlumbingForum.com
THE Dynamic Plumbing, Kitchen and Bath, Information, Advice and Sharing Forum

Over 525,000 Posts in over 155k Threads

The most popular positive STRICTLY PLUMBING INFORMATION SHARING FORUM board on the Net. Ask any toilet, sink, faucet, pump, water quality and other plumbing related questions here. Plumbing professional and DIY tips, tricks, shortcuts, remodeling, plumbing advice forum and blog. Please refrain from asking business, pricing, contractor referrals, legal or any other non strictly plumbing related questions keeping all positive and with no advertising. 

New TopicSearchLog In Newest Messages
 Delta Monitor 1700 Series leaks
Author: mcauliff (MI)

I have a Delta Monitor 1700 Series tub/shower faucet that is leaking. I removed the temperature control knob and collar. When I got to the unplated bonnet, I was not able to remove. I'm assuming from looking at the Delta web site, it is removable. Does it screw off? Is it only the top that comes off? What type of wrench should be used? I need to be able to remove the cartridge.

Reply To This Message

Re: Delta Monitor 1700 Series leaks
Author: Reanimator (CO)

Did you turn your water off? You'll get a helluva surprise if you do manage to wrench that off under pressure :)

Should be able to unthread that by hand once you've relieved the pressure.

Reply To This Message

Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

Most of the time they can be unscrewed by hand. If not by hand a large pair of channel locks will remove it.

Reply To This Message

Author: LemonPlumber (FL)

yes the large brass colored collar unscrews counter clock wise.how old is this valve?you may wish or have to have a replacement for this retainer nut if the channel locks will not remove it.it can be slit with a hack saw blade spread and easily removed.try www.deltafaucets.com.enter 1700 in the search box right top of page. the results at the bottom of the page,

Edited 1 times.

Reply To This Message

Author: mcauliff (MI)

Yes, I did turn off both hot and cold water valves. The faucet is about 3 years old. Installed during tub/shower remodeling.

Reply To This Message

Author: xela (NJ)

I had the same issue with a "frozen" brass nut from the bonnet on the 1700 series.

First of all, do your plumbing work during the day time when the stores are open, in case you need something.

Second, take some pictures as you disassemble it. It makes it easier to re-assemble without having to 2nd guess yourself.

Third, like folks on this forum, I Googled and followed all the pros advice:

I applied vinegar to dissolve the calcium deposits, but it would not budge.

I used two wrenches (after a trip to Home Depot at 9 pm to get a 2nd one) so as not to break the bonnet. IT WOULD NOT BUDGE.

I bought a butane mini torch to heat the brass nut to expand it and "crack" the seal, along with my two huge wrenches, AND IT WOULD NOT BUDGE.

I was going to wait until Monday and buy another brass nut, so I could carefully cut this one and gingerly pry it off so as not to damage the threads...

Then, I just sprayed the thing with WD40 on both the inside and outside edge, and 15 minutes later it came off with very little pressure using a single wrench.

I felt not so smart, insofar as the first thing I would have done was the last, but happy to have it off and replace the cartridge.

There are only two threads on the bonnet, so WD40 penetrated far enough to dissolve the deposits readily, and it is a standard counter clockwise removal. A strap wrench would also keep the soft brass from getting damaged.

Reply To This Message

Note: Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.

Warning: Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.

Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.

Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try Heatinghelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Click here to view our old forum messages

to: Contact Us
to: Plumbing Manufacturers Address Directory
to: Plumbing Links Site
to: How to show an image
to: theplumber.com
to: Plbg Statistics
to: our FAQ's
to: Advisor List
to: Common Plumbing Terms
We're sponsored by:
  We're sponsored by:

Copyright© 2014 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.