Welcome to Plbg.com Welcome to the Popular Plumbing, Kitchen, Bath Advice Site
The Leading Online Plumbing Supplier Since 1995
www.PlumbingForum.com
THE Dynamic Plumbing, Kitchen and Bath, Information, Advice and Sharing Forum

Over 520,000 Posts in over 150k Threads

By far the most popular STRICTLY PLUMBING INFORMATION SHARING FORUM board on the Net. Ask any toilet, sink, faucet, pump, water quality and other plumbing related questions here. Plumbing professional and DIY tips, tricks, shortcuts, remodeling, plumbing advice forum and blog. Please refrain from asking business, pricing, legal or any other non strictly plumbing related questions. 

New TopicSearchLog In Newest Messages
 Water Heater vacuum relief valve
Author: pbr2424 (NH)

When the plumbing code say a vacuum relief valve should be installed on all hot water storage devices such as a electric hot water heater it doesn't specify which type. There are the atmospheric vacuum breakers and the pressure vacuum breakers. It seem most hot water heater have the atmospheric vacuum breaker but the system is under continuous pressure so shouln't there be a pressure vacuum breaker. Where am I confused.

Thanks.

Reply To This Message

Re: Water Heater vacuum relief valve
Author: LemonPlumber (FL)

The only one in our code would be vacuum relief type.Meant to break the vacuum on the cold side to keep the heater /point of use type \from being siphoned dry...All top feed heaters would not be applied or subject to this code.

Reply To This Message

Where I am at persons install a vacuum breaker 6 inches or better on the cold feed to the top of an electric hot water heater tank but it's usually an atmosphic breaker. But the line is under constant pressure not like a sillcock so in theory should it be a pressure breaker.

Thanks

Reply To This Message

Author: rjones0281 (MO)

there is no such thing as a pressure vacuum breaker on a hot water heater but is really a contradiction in terms.
pressure and vacuum are too different animals.
pressure is pushing air or water out.
and vacuum is pulling water or air in.
unless you consider an expansion tank (kind of like a two way open valve)
i have never seen a water heater that will pull or vacuum water or air in to the tank every thing is under pressure.
i simply ask where is the vacuum.
in the scald tube???
there are some industrial applications that employ two way pressure valves.
but not on a hot water heater.

Edited 2 times.

Reply To This Message

Rj bottom feed heater installed in a ceiling above .Water supply is cut off. vacuum is created by fixtures that are open below the heater.Vacuum relief.It is often afailure of many non plumbers here.

Reply To This Message

I was looking at Watts backflow preventers FAQ and got to thinking about atmospheric breakers and continous pressure. I got to think of something esle to do.

Thanks

Reply To This Message

n36 n360...Check at www.watts regulator.com.These both mount above the heater so supply line run is important .but are inexpensive and preform to code requirements.

Reply To This Message

That is what is used around here. Glad you found were it specifies were it can be applied. Thats what I was mentioning but never saw the exact specifications before just assumed it was ok. Leave well enough alone.

Thanks

Edited 1 times.

Reply To This Message

You do know that a spring check in the line before this a v will stop it from failing?In some cases where water shut down occurs often .

Reply To This Message

No but that makes sense but then you would have a closed system and need an expansion tank. Another can of worms.

Thanks

Reply To This Message

Author: hj (AZ)

You are confused because you are thinking of the wrong type of valve. A vaccum relief valve is NOT a vacuum breaker valve. It is a valve similar to a T&P valve which opens when there is a vacuum in the system. Here, they are required on roof top solar systems, but not on water heaters because we have very few that meet the installation requirements that dictate one.

Reply To This Message

Thanks for your response. You cleared up my confusion and I understand what you are saying. I think some people might say vacuum breaker when they mean vacuum relief or I might of. I will remember the difference

Thanks

Reply To This Message

You are getting confused. A vacuum "breaker" prevents vacuum from forming. A vacuum "relief" valve eliminates it when it forms. An elevated heater, such as in an attic or upper level, can be subjected to a vacuum if the water supply to the building is turned off and the water piping is drained. The amount of vacuum is directly proportional to the height of the tank above the point where the water is being drained, but because of the amount of surface on the tank, even a slight vacuum can exert tremendous pressure on it, and under the right conditions the tank can collapse. I suppose you have never seen a picture of a gasoline or water tanker which had the valves turned on before the vents were opened. Or the water tower in Texas which looked like a crumpled paper cup when the same thing happened to it.

Reply To This Message

ANY check valve will prevent, or minimize a vacuum caused by opening a cold water faucet, but a hot water faucet will create the same negative pressure, unless there is a vacuum relief valve on the tank.

Reply To This Message

Author: m & m (MD)

Rheem requires a vacuum relief on its "Marathon" water heaters because they are made of a composite 'plastic' material. If they are subjected to vacuum, they will implode. I have seen it happen.

Reply To This Message

Author: Shoemaker2 (MA)

When there is a loss in pressure due to a line break, or when a fire engine is sucking on a hydrant a water heater could collapse if no breaker is in line.

Reply To This Message

Note: Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.

Warning: Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.

Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.

Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try Heatinghelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Click here to view our old forum messages

to: Contact Us
to: Plumbing Manufacturers Address Directory
to: Plumbing Links Site
to: How to show an image
to: theplumber.com
to: Plbg Statistics
to: our FAQ's
to: Advisor List
to: Common Plumbing Terms
The Leading Online Plumbing Supplier Since 1995 The Leading Online Plumbing Supplier Since 1995

Copyright© 2014 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.