Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 what happens if you pull a permit, but never have it inspected?
Author: waukeshaplumbing (WI)

what happens when you pull the permit,but never call to get it inspected?

will they keep extending the permit and adding it on to your property taxes? or does it just go away?

Re: what happens if you pull a permit, but never have it inspected?
Author: LemonPlumber (FL)

Here the permit is good for 365 day.s or is void.and you would have to file an extension to keep it active .Or repay all fees.

Author: e-plumber (NY)

I've found that some inspectors will close the permit out to clear up their system after some time goes by and some of them will call and follow up and some jobs just remain in limbo but there is never a C of O issued if the permit hasn't been closed out and that can lead to problems later on. Plumbing permits here expire one year from the date it was pulled.
*The tax assessor's office can't wait to get their hands on the final paperwork though...

e-plumber
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The society which scorns excellence in Plumbing as a humble activity and tolerates shoddiness in philosophy because it is an
exalted activity will have neither good Plumbing nor good philosophy: neither its pipes nor its theories will hold water." -
John William Gardner 10/8/1912 - 2/16/2002

Repair your leaking Plumbing fixtures ASAP [www.theplumber.com]
This slow drip will waste 7+ gallons of water per day.

Author: PBwrencher (WI)

It all depends on the job and how diligent the inspector and the inspection department is.thinking

If it is just a water heater replacement by a licensed plumber many inspectors just clear out the permit at the end of year.smiling smiley

Now, if it is a new house you did not call on then the inspector can become very concerned about what you are trying to pull and put you through the ringer for many good reasons.thinking

Everything in-between depends on how well the inspector knows you and your work and what kind of guy he is.smiling smiley

82909,9+15

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

3 years before Google started PlumbingSupply.com has been THE best plumbing supplier on the web. Please visit our sponsor [www.PlumbingSupply.com]

Author: jblanche (WI)

I have two open building permits from 1999. At the time I got the permits, the policy was that you had to START the work within four months. There was NO calendar limit on when you had to finish. I used to stop by the office and ask if I needed to do something and they told me no. There's now been a regime change so something may have changed, but I don't know. I do plan to call for inspection when the work is done, and deal with whatever at that time. It's all on the record.

When I had an open plumbing permit in 2001, I had the RI done but I got a notice after 4 or 6 months to get a final. So I sent back a letter saying it was almost done, finished up the work within a week or two, and got the final. I've had a few permits since then but have finished the work well within the four months or whatever. The plbg. inspector here also does HVAC and he follows up on those pretty well too.

Electrical was a different matter. I had quite a few issues with electrical permits and the only follow-up was at my initiation.

Links to the State of Wisconsin Plumbing Code:
[docs.legis.wisconsin.gov]
I am not a plumber.

Author: hj (AZ)

Here you have to start and have the first inspection within 6 months or ask for an extension. Follow up inspections must be within 6 months. The permit expires in a year unless an extension is asked for.

what if the homeowner doesnt care if it gets inspected or not and doesnt want to bother and take a 1/2 day off of work for a minor job.

can they charge you again if you never get it inspected? or does it just go on a record that an inspection was never done..oh well.......If there is no extra costs this customer will probably just let the permit go.

also can inspectors look for other issues while he's there? can he walk all over the house? can he open things up which dont have anything else to do with the permit? what is the limits?

i had an inspector fail old existing plumbing last week when the new plumbing had nothing to do with it...it was $300 extra to fix, but i had one last year who demanded a repipe and cost the homeowner $2k

basically im also asking how much power they have once they are let into a house. This could also be an issue with this homeowner....

Author: jimmy-o (CA)

If the permit expires, you have to start over with a new permit. If work was done and not inspected, you have to negotiate that.

Inspectors have a lot of leeway. I would say they will not/should not go out of their way looking for trouble. But if you have a permit for let's say a small plumbing job, and they get there and there is obviously more going on than just that, don't expect them to ignore that.

On finding "old work" not to code, if it doesn't look like part of the current project, they may just overlook.

Author: jblanche (WI)

Short answer, if your customer is in a code compliance area, encourage him to get the inspection done, or he could have to jump through a lot more hoops if he ever sells the property.

If it's a hardship case I suspect the homeowner could find a neighbor to sit and wait. On inspections of contractor work I don't think they care who lets them in the house. Homeowner work is another matter; they want the person who did the work to be there.

The state admin code and local muni codes have provisions in them to give inspectors access in cases where immediate safety is in question, but I don't know about simple code violations.

Links to the State of Wisconsin Plumbing Code:
[docs.legis.wisconsin.gov]
I am not a plumber.

AAV prob?
Author: steve_g (CA)

Waukesha: what ever became of the problematic AAV?

Quite often, once they get into the house, any violation that is visible is fair game. Just like you letting a police officer in your house to use the telephone and he sees your marijuana joint on the table.

Author: ev607797 (NC)

Same as what HJ said in the part of VA where I live. If an inspection of some type isn't made against the permit within six months, the permit expires and all fees are forfeited. A complete new application process is required after that.

---Ed---

I suppose, given the economy and the diminished duties for inspectors, they could create a "cold case" division to look into old "open" permits to see if the work was ever done, and if so issue a "violation" tag, forcing a new permit, at the penalty rate, and possibly destructive inspections to actually see what was done and whether it was done correctly.

homeowner was worried about previous work done w/o permits and getting caught...he has decided to pay for all permits not filed and have it all inspected.....just a strange situation in a difficult city w/ a difficult inspector...i suspect its going to go badly....oh well..

Re: AAV prob?

Steve G,

I took a screw driver to the guts of the AAV and reinstalled it...the dishwasher drained great, but when i filled up the sink it backed up and some came out of the AAV under the sink....so i called the drain cleaner for the 4th time to come out (his 2nd time for free)....he cleared the drains and no backup...

last time he did it it lasted for 2 weeks and then started backing up again...there was no sewer gas smell under the sink and its on septic...and we all know septic sewer gas is STRONG....so i think its pretty obvious the sewer is backpitched or has a belly which is creating a trap for the sewer gas....and also a place for kitchen debris to collect and plug up...

told the homeowner its not my fault and she agreed...told her to call someone w/ a scope and if she wants me to tear up her kitchen floor to call...told her probably around $5k+ to get someone to take her cabinets and countertops apart and for me to bust up the floor....

she is a great repeat customer and is suuuuper easy to work with...she's been very understanding and not the typical Blame the plumber type person..repiping the drain was not in my contract w/ the builder and if i would have demanded it i would have not gotten the job and probably lost that builder (which ive lost anyways since then)

Author: PBwrencher (WI)

Yes, alot depends on the inspector and the inspection department concerning on there policy which widely varies with what we expect.thinking

Most jurisdictions in my area require the job to start within 6 months of permit issued and completed after 2 years of issue or a new permit and/or new plans are also required.smiling smiley

83109,8+51

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

3 years before Google started PlumbingSupply.com has been THE best plumbing supplier on the web. Please visit our sponsor [www.PlumbingSupply.com]

ANother thing they have abolished here is using a mobile home as a temporary residence while building a house. They found out that the houes NEVER got finished as long as the owner was comfortable in his mobile home. I move a mobile home onto a friend's lot so their double wide could be sold and a house built. It was there about two hours before the zoning inspector showed up and told them that it could be used for a construction office, BUT NOT a residence. It could not have sewer and water connected to it either. From then on, anytime they saw the inspector pulling in they told the kids to get outside.

Author: dlh (TX)

so the construction trailers in your area arent allowed to have a working bathroom in them? here i always have to connect a tank to the drains that can be pumped out and hook up temporary water to them

- - - - - - -

PLUMBERS "Protecting The Health Of The Nation"

Usually not. The sites all have Porta-Potties.

well ours do to but the gc and his higher ups and the owners of the building arent gonna use them when they have a trailer with a real bathroom in it and a plumber on site that can hook it up temporarily

- - - - - - -

One difference is that a "commercial" construction trailer is not usually going to have someone living in it. Unless the supervisor is on the outs with his wife.

true

- - - - - - -

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.