Welcome to Plbg.com Welcome to the Popular Plumbing, Kitchen, Bath Advice Site
  We're sponsored by:
The Leading Online Plumbing Supplier Since 1995
www.PlumbingForum.com
THE Dynamic Plumbing, Kitchen and Bath, Information, Advice and Sharing Forum

Over 525,000 Posts in over 155k Threads

The most popular positive STRICTLY PLUMBING INFORMATION SHARING FORUM board on the Net. Ask any toilet, sink, faucet, pump, water quality and other plumbing related questions here. Plumbing professional and DIY tips, tricks, shortcuts, remodeling, plumbing advice forum and blog. Please refrain from asking business, pricing, contractor referrals, legal or any other non strictly plumbing related questions keeping all positive and with no advertising. 

New TopicSearchLog In Newest Messages
 Problem with Toilet Air Vent
Author: dyun33 (MD)

I am living in a new town house with two toilets on 2nd floor and one toilet on 1st floor.

Only one toilet on the 1st floor has a flushing problem: it is not flushed but filled up. If I use a sink in the same bathroom, water bubble come out of toilet.

Before a builder was bankrupt, they had tried everything to clear a water drain line including putting camera, snake, replacing toilet, etc. So I am 100% sure there is no problem with drain pipe. But I met one guy and said the problem can be caused by air venting. So I went up to the attic, and the air vent (2") of the bad toilet is connected to the main air vent (4") with about 20 degree slope. And the length of the 2" pipe is longer than 20 feet only in the attic.

Now there is two things I am considering to do soon.

1. I am going to cut 2" air vent pipe and replace it to 4 or 3" pipe ONLY in the attic (not from the toilet to the roof). Do you guys think it can fix the problem? I am worried a bit because pipe diameter is not same from the toilet to the roof (2" from toilet to attic, 4" from attic to roof).

2. If that doesn't fix the problem, I am going to buy a pressure assist toilet. Do you guys think the toilet can work under the condition of 'not enough air flow.'

Thanks a lot

Reply To This Message

Re: Problem with Toilet Air Vent
Author: LemonPlumber (FL)

Do not waste your time.if when you drain the sink the toilet bubbles you have a dwv/drain side problem!Weather you have a vent or not.It will be located down stream of the toilets pipe as it goes horizontal.The water seal/trap of a pressure assist toilet will bubble up sewer gas just as a standard toilet and when it does finally clog.do not be washing your face at the sink.

Edited 3 times.

Reply To This Message

Author: dlh (TX)

even if there was no vent the toilet would flush since it is designed to siphon the trap which the job of the vent is to stop from happening.

there is a restriction in your line after the sink connects to it but before it gets into the main line, most likely. did they run the camera or sewer snake down the toilet drain line when the pulled it to replace it? if not then that needs to be done!

- - - - - - -

PLUMBERS "Protecting The Health Of The Nation"

Reply To This Message

Author: e-plumber (NY)

It appears that the drain line downstream of the toilet is probably partially restricted or clogged up. The lavatory basin and the toilet share the same drain line so when water is ran in the basin, it will bubble or start to make the water rise in the toilet bowl because the toilet is lower than the basin.

Is the first floor bathroom the lowest bathroom in the house?

- Don't replace the toilet or rework any vent lines!

e-plumber
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The society which scorns excellence in Plumbing as a humble activity and tolerates shoddiness in philosophy because it is an
exalted activity will have neither good Plumbing nor good philosophy: neither its pipes nor its theories will hold water." -
John William Gardner 10/8/1912 - 2/16/2002

Repair your leaking Plumbing fixtures ASAP [www.theplumber.com]
This slow drip will waste 7+ gallons of water per day.

Reply To This Message

Thanks for your comment.
Yes, they put very long camera into the drain from toilet to the outside home. I am sure they did that carefully because they pulled out three pebbles.

Reply To This Message

Ok, now I will not replace a vent or toilet until find the real problem. Let me give you guys some detail.

As I said, it is not flushed but water is filled up. But it is sometimes working for one or two days/month. In fact, warranty company sent an inspector on that day and he reported it as a normal toilet. Of course, it stop working right after he went back. Very annoying.

When the builder checked with camera, they also put some floating balls to see water flow and observed outflow in the garden. Everything was fine. That's why I can't believe it is even partially restricted.

I have never smelled bad from the toilet, also.

Thanks anyway!

Reply To This Message

Author: LemonPlumber (FL)

It is just how you describe the problem.if when you let water out of the lav/sink drain you get bubbles from the toilet it is because the drain line is full of water and forces the air below the toilet to push up past the trap.I always tell customers I want to be there when it is happening.It is important sometimes to be able to find where in the system the problem lay's.It could very well be the main is backing up under heavy use and inspection may not show this because it happens 9 to 5 while the rest of the building is at work.please try to Identify the failure times of day.Holidays are really great.Sadly the last three trip customer who only had problems was also a candidate for a maserator toilet when he used the guest ,the only three inch run from a closet in his home stalled on rather large /very large stool.This I am sure is not the case here but when why may be timeable.

Reply To This Message

Author: hj (AZ)

1. You are wasting your time and money.
2. You are still wasting your time and money.

The only cure is to find out what the problem really is and fix it, not try to cure the symptoms. Your drain line is obstructed for some reason, and a good plumber would be able to figure out how to diagnose it. We cannot do it from here.

Reply To This Message

Forget about the pebbles because that is not the job of the camera. What did they see and what does the recording show about the sewer line.

Reply To This Message

Floating balls can go through an obstruction or sag in the pipe. They do not indicate anything. Right now, I cannot see that anything has been done to really find the problem or fix it.

Reply To This Message

This is really bad news. I didn't watch the camera screen,,,they just said that everything is clean on the drain pipe. And don't you think they did good job with the camera because they pulled out some concrete debris?

I called local plumber yesterday and said that $160/hr. So....maybe that's the only way I can consider now...

Appreciate your help everyone.

Reply To This Message

You did not see the camera inspection and they did not make a recording to give to you? And you wonder if I THINK they did not do a good job? Do you even have to ask? In the first place the camera's job is to view the sewer, NOT TO REMOVE any stones in the line. In fact, if they removed SOME stones, that would usually indicate that there were a lot more that were not removed.

Reply To This Message

Author: e-plumber (NY)

I'm still trying to figure out HOW they removed 'some concrete debris' :think2:

e-plumber
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The society which scorns excellence in Plumbing as a humble activity and tolerates shoddiness in philosophy because it is an
exalted activity will have neither good Plumbing nor good philosophy: neither its pipes nor its theories will hold water." -
John William Gardner 10/8/1912 - 2/16/2002

Repair your leaking Plumbing fixtures ASAP [www.theplumber.com]
This slow drip will waste 7+ gallons of water per day.

Reply To This Message

160/hr for doing WHAT. That could either be too expensive for some services or too cheap for others.

Reply To This Message

Note: Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.

Warning: Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.

Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.

Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try Heatinghelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Click here to view our old forum messages

to: Contact Us
to: Plumbing Manufacturers Address Directory
to: Plumbing Links Site
to: How to show an image
to: theplumber.com
to: Plbg Statistics
to: our FAQ's
to: Advisor List
to: Common Plumbing Terms
We're sponsored by:
  We're sponsored by:

Copyright© 2014 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.