Welcome to Plbg.com
Welcome to the Popular Plumbing, Kitchen, Bath Advice Site
Special thanks to:
FAMOUS PLUMBINGSUPPLY the award winning plumbing, kitchen and bath catalog. The largest selection of plumbing products and supplies on the net with over 1,600 pages. Since 1995 the PlumbingSupply Group has been serving the entire Internet community.
www.PlumbingForum.com
THE Dynamic Plumbing, Kitchen and Bath, Information, Advice and Sharing Forum
click here to learn how to show an image on PLBG.com

Over 520,000 Posts in over 150k Threads

By far the most popular STRICTLY PLUMBING INFORMATION SHARING FORUM board on the Net. Ask any toilet, sink, faucet, pump, water quality and other plumbing related questions here. Plumbing professional and DIY tips, tricks, shortcuts, remodeling, plumbing advice forum and blog. Please refrain from asking business, pricing, legal or any other non strictly plumbing related questions. 

New TopicSearchLog In Newest Messages
 Kohler Whirlpool Tub Motor wont pump/stuck
Author: bobalou (NJ)

Working on a Kohler whirlpool tub that the pump motor just hums and doesnt pump... It was installed in 2003 and rarely used.
I can barely access the pump after removing the side panel,
It seems I would need to start cutting pvc pipe in order have enough room to remove or work on the tub.

I tried leaving water in the tub for 48 hours with a hope that the pump would loosen up, I tried tapping the pump & motor and also tried to get pliers on the motor shaft to give it a turn, but a sleeve is installed over the motor shaft preventing access to the shaft.

Any ideas before I start cutting PVC jet lines to access the motor/pump?
Thanks in advance
Bob

Reply To This Message

Re: Kohler Whirlpool Tub Motor wont pump/stuck
Author: hj (AZ)

It must be a do-it-yourself whirlpool if the pump does not have unions on both connections. Even if you get to the impeller, the bearings are probably frozen so you may need a new pump anyway.

Reply To This Message

Author: LemonPlumber (FL)

Can you post the product number?like many pumps you may be able to rotate the shaft from the back cover of the motor.You did try to use a closet plunger on the inlet inside the tub?Some times you may be able to move the stuck impeller with vacuum.1 800 4 kohler care.

Edited 1 times.

Reply To This Message

Author: rjones0281 (MO)

the hard way is to pull the pump and free up the impeller and run it for a short time. then reinstall.
could be the bearings. a few spins on the impeller and you should be good to go.
ive freed up many pumps this way.
the easy button doesent exist on this one.

Reply To This Message

Author: Shoemaker2 (MA)

I have had the luck of being able to put a flat screwdriver in the slot on the end of motor shaft and spun it to free up. Maybe with a little lube.

Reply To This Message

Just watch the first time you use it.stuck seals can lead to leaking seals.

Reply To This Message

Author: spock-mckoy (PA)

Hi, I recently went to work on a Kohler and the easiest access would have been cutting through the bedroom drywall to get to the pump. The people didn't want their bathroom tile disturbed, nor the bedroom. So, they don't have a working whirlpool now. From what I saw anyway, the tubing was glued to pump, no threaded fittings. They bought the unit from Lowes/HD a few years earlier. Unfortunately, many remodel jobs like fancy tile around the tubs to enclose them with no thought to maintenance. It's not IF it is going to fail, it is WHEN it is going to fail. They showed me the Kohler manual, and it had pics of various installs that had an access door on the OUTSIDE of the house to access the motor. Not very practical on a northern brick house that deals with nasty winters.

Reply To This Message

There is always away.some customers no not know how discrete a plumber can be.see stamped face grill.You have a vent in the closet it must protect the expensive clothes you have in there.Great spot for a return vent.Cut out four tiles joint's on the face with a carbide saw's all blade and find color match grout .You are a genius.

Reply To This Message

Author: bobalou (NJ)

Good news
Summary
I filled the tub full and let it sit and tried it everyday for a week with no luck
I was able to remove the union on the pump a got a long screwdriver in and was able to move the impeller a little. Turned it for a second dry and it spun a little and stopped. I re-attached the union and filled the tub with very hot water. Tried turning it on and all i got was a hmmm
I then took a 6' 1/2" plastic hose a slid it in the pump return and fed it all the way to the pump and poured 16oz of CLR (while the tub was still filled)I let the tub sit for 30 minutes and this time it started fine...I ran it for 30minutes. drained and refilled and flushed it for 15minutes..Working fine

Reply To This Message

Author: rjones0281 (MO)

thats good news.

Reply To This Message

Note: Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.

Warning: Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.

Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.

Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try Heatinghelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Please visit:
FAMOUS PLUMBINGSUPPLY the award winning plumbing, kitchen and bath catalog. The largest selection of plumbing products and supplies on the net with pver 1,600 pages in our online plumbing catalog. Since 1995 the PlumbingSupply Group has been serving the entire Internet community.

Click here to view our old forum messages

Please visit:
FAMOUS PLUMBINGSUPPLY the award winning plumbing, kitchen and bath catalog. The largest selection of plumbing products and supplies on the net with over 1,600 pages in our online plumbing catalog. Since 1995 the PlumbingSupply Group has been serving the entire Internet community.

to: Contact Us
to: Plumbing Manufacturers Address Directory
to: Plumbing Links Site
to: How to show an image
to: theplumber.com
to: Plbg Statistics
to: our FAQ's
to: Advisor List
to: Toilet Repair Information
to: Tankless Water Heaters
to: Common Plumbing Terms