Welcome to Plbg.com Welcome to the Popular Plumbing, Kitchen, Bath Advice Site
The Leading Online Plumbing Supplier Since 1995
www.PlumbingForum.com
THE Dynamic Plumbing, Kitchen and Bath, Information, Advice and Sharing Forum

Over 520,000 Posts in over 150k Threads

By far the most popular positive STRICTLY PLUMBING INFORMATION SHARING FORUM board on the Net. Ask any toilet, sink, faucet, pump, water quality and other plumbing related questions here. Plumbing professional and DIY tips, tricks, shortcuts, remodeling, plumbing advice forum and blog. Please refrain from asking business, pricing, legal or any other non strictly plumbing related questions and we also ask for only positive comments and no advertising. 

New TopicSearchLog In Newest Messages
 Leaking shutoff valve on Aqua-Pure whole house filter
Author: Velvetfoot (NY)

Maybe somebody out there knows something about this filter, an AP101T.
The head has a shutoff valve that allows easier filter changes.
Thing is, it's started to leak from under the 'handle' (really the top of the head).
I ordered a gasket set for the valve from Aqua-Pure, but I have no idea how to take it apart (I haven't been able to find any on the web.)
Luckily, there are additional isolation valves, but I don't want to break anything; replacing the entire filter would be a hassle for me.
Maybe the gasket set will come with instructions.
I'll also try calling the company.
Thanks.

Reply To This Message

Re: Leaking shutoff valve on Aqua-Pure whole house filter
Author: dlh (TX)

from what i can tell it is integral to the head assembly and thus may not be able to be taken apart and still be put back together although i may be wrong as i dont install many filter systems

- - - - - - -

PLUMBERS "Protecting The Health Of The Nation"

Reply To This Message

Author: packy (MA)

i'm guessing it's not fixable. probably an "O" ring down inside where the shaft rotates.

Reply To This Message

Thanks for the replies.
There is a screw in the middle of the 'valve' but I have no idea what happens when it's turned-I guess I'll find out, lol.
I did order a gasket set that's for the head valve, so hopefully it can be rebuilt.
The filter is not installed with couplings and my sweating skills with no-lead solder are less than developed.

Edit: They told me that instructions come with the gasket kit; we'll see.

Edited 1 times.

Reply To This Message

Author: LemonPlumber (FL)

Well good luck.let us know how you make out.If the valve does come apart you may only need to lubricate this o-ring seal to have it function again.

Reply To This Message

Author: Wheelchair (IL)

3M-Cuno-Aqua Pure, AP101T,

Valve in Head designed to by-pass the water when you change the filter.
Keep in mind that the filter and system is under pressure when removing and you want to be sure that you use the wrench that cam with the system.
Turn slowly. If you have a separate shutoff, make sure the pressure is relieved before you turn the housing.

Did you know that you can purchase the double size filter housing which holds two elements and provides longer useage before needing to change elements. Its available directly from the Cuno/Aqua-Pure Store.

Best Wishes

Reply To This Message

I just took it apart, thinking it would just be a matter of changing the gaskets.
Alas, the end of the nylon plastic shaft broke off.
The website isn't that clear, but I ordered a $3.00 (+$8 shipping) part named "shaft", (no picture), so I hope this is it.

Reply To This Message

Author: Dudical (CT)

Velvetfoot - any luck with the shaft? Also, which website did you order the parts from? My housing is leaking from the top also. Haven't been able to open it up yet, but best to be prepared...

Thanks

Reply To This Message

Author: Redhat18 (VT)

I had a similar issue and called 3M on it. Apparently a set screw can loosen when the filter is spun during replacements. If you remove the filter and plastic housing there should be four circular plastic fins which form a circle extending below the filter head. Within that circle there is a set screw, attempt to tighten if that screw is loose. Replace your filter and housing and then check for leaks.

If that doesn't fix the issue, you probably need to replace o-rings for the stem.

P/N's from 3-M 5548001C (O-Rings)
63597174C (Repair Kit)

Reply To This Message

Author: filterbane (CO)

Velvetfoot, did you resolve this issue? I have almost exactly the same situation with the same filter and assume the same replacement cartridge (AP110). Water leaks around the base of the valve where no water should be. If you've found a solution, I'd love to know about it.

Reply To This Message

Author: jenlop (CT)

I just wanted to say thank you for this! My husband changed our filter earlier today and our water pressure dropped. When I went down to look at the filter, water was leaking at a decent clip. I tried playing with it, but only made it worse. He lubricated the o-ring and that helped a bit, but it was still leaking (sorta back to where it was before I started messing with it.) We called the plumber that installed it, but got voice mail and left a message. Then I found your post. Sure enough, that screw was loose (not the only one around here lol). I tightened it, the leak has stopped and we have flowing water again! I was singing the Rocky theme song after fixing it. Thanks to you for your post!

Reply To This Message

Author: Denverguy (CO)

Hey there-
Thanks for the post...I just had the same issues and water is spraying at the top...tightened the screw and all is good...

Thanks Again!

Reply To This Message

Author: dennis powers (CA)

Thank you for your post. Tightening the internal screw did the trick and saved me a $200 service call.

Reply To This Message

Author: LarryinConnecticut (CT)

REDHAT FOR CONGRESS!!!!
Thank you my friend!

Reply To This Message

Note: Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.

Warning: Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.

Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.

Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try Heatinghelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Click here to view our old forum messages

to: Contact Us
to: Plumbing Manufacturers Address Directory
to: Plumbing Links Site
to: How to show an image
to: theplumber.com
to: Plbg Statistics
to: our FAQ's
to: Advisor List
to: Common Plumbing Terms
The Leading Online Plumbing Supplier Since 1995 The Leading Online Plumbing Supplier Since 1995

Copyright© 2014 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.