Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Well pump stuck in casing
Author: bobalou (NJ)

Scenaro...
Lightning took out well pump,so we called a well guy that is having problems pulling the well pump.
Well age = 20 years
4" metal casing
1" Black poly pipe
Pump is at 50' and wont budge
Well guy used some dry acid to breakup the corrosion... used 8oz of this dry acid 2 days ago, he cant seem to break it loose
I installed some scaffolding and a come-a-long and a strap and when I put tension pulling on the 1" poly it seems to want to stretch the poly
I was able to move the fitting about 4" but I am think the poly is just stretching.
I was reading the empty contaning of dry acid that he was using and it said to use a l lb per gallon of water in the well... the container said that a 4" well will have .65 gallon per foot. The static water is at 20'
so I figure we have about 20 gallons of water in the casing.

I am having some second thoughts on this well guy... he didnt even have a winch to use.

Any ideas are appreciated.

Re: Well pump stuck in casing
Author: jblanche (WI)

Congratulations on finding the well. How did you end up doing that?

Links to the State of Wisconsin Plumbing Code:
[docs.legis.wisconsin.gov]
I am not a plumber.

We found the well by borrowing a wire locator tool that my sons friend which works for a electrical contractor. He hooked the transmitter to the 220volt pump power line and found it fairly easy.
We were digging in the right place but had to dig deeper.. the well line was about 5 feet below grade.

Author: jblanche (WI)

Just ruminating here; not recommending you try these things but maybe it will get you started.

Is there something like a concrete vibrator that you could feed down the water line into the pump body, plug in the vibrator, and make it shake?

Or better yet something pneumatic-powered? Like an air hose with a spring loaded flap or bladder that makes it shake as the air escapes?

What would happen if you just hooked up a trailer-size compressor to the water line and push air into the pump?

Can somebody with a see snake see what's going on down there?

Links to the State of Wisconsin Plumbing Code:
[docs.legis.wisconsin.gov]
I am not a plumber.

Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

Sometimes a piece of rock will fall out of the bored hole and wedge the pump. At 50' with a static of 20" you should be able to life the pump up with one hand. Poly will stretch about 1% after its in the well and can be stretched several times that amount before it breaks. I'd tie the well head to a backhoe or trackhoe and pull something out, if the pipe breaks ,hope it breaks near the pump.

Author: m & m (MD)

With a 4" steel well, and a 3 7/8" submersible pump, you've got 1/16" to spare between the pump and casing. The lightning that took out your pump motor also 'welded' the pump and casing together. Many pump installers will install a pump in a 4" well on galvanized steel pipe for this very reason- the galvanized pipe allows the well techs to use hoists, jacks, come-alongs, etc. to apply maximum pull to break the weld and remove the pump. With your pump on poly pipe, your situation does not look good. Probably what will happen is when you do get someone with the proper equipment to pull the pump, the poly pipe will end up stretching to the point where it breaks or separates from the pump.

Author: LemonPlumber (FL)

Your gonna hate the idea of pushing back down ten feet, then turning it as you lift.If you are right at twenty feet you are probably wedged sideways against a coupling pipe end.some times smooth motion beats strength.

Update:
Well pump hasnt budged from it's original location at 45'
I took (5) 10' 1/2" black pipe witha cap and lowered the black pipe down in an attempt to push the pump down to break it free.
I can feel the pipe hitting something soft, possibly sand and sediment sitting on top of the pump. I tried banging the pipe down a few times without luck. It started to rain so I called it a day.
My plan is to take another shot at banging it down and then perhaps
lowering a garden hose with a nozzle down to try to flush it out some

Update:
Still stuck...Now Plan B
I inserted a garden hose with a nozzle from neighbors house and fished it down 45' to the pump and I am flushing the sediment back up the 4" casing... lots of sediment is rising, hopefully enough to free it up

Author: LemonPlumber (FL)

Where still with ya.Bob.

Final update:
We tried several methods in an attempt to free up this submersible well pump in a 4" metal casing... The pump is still stuck and we are forced to
seal the well and hook up to city water. I thought I would mention some of the things we tried,which were some good ideas, but this pump won.

Good idea #1
Take (5) 1/2 10' black pipe and slide them down the well casing and try to bang the top of the pump to jar it free. After lowering the 1/2 black pipe down, it felt like it was hitting something soft like sediment/mud on top of the pump. We then hooked up garden hose to the 1/2 black pipe annd was able to wash away the sediment unit the pipe could be felt hitting metal. We banged away using the 1/2 black pipe while flushing with the water... We then used the comealong and tried to pull the pump via the poly pipe, while the 1/2 black pipe was still flushing out the sediment. The black poly pipe stretched about 16" and we gave up for the day.

Next day
We slipped a 1/8" steel cable with a 3" noose, over the 1" black poly pipe and taped the noose to a 50' lenght of 1/2 black pipe in an attempt to get the steel cable noose to hook on the fitting just above the pump. We had to also use the flushing hose to get the black pipe down through the sediment.
when we tightened the 1/8 cable is seemed to catch on something so we then used the comealong to pull on the black poly pipe and the steel cable.... We were able to apply quite a bit of tension with the comealong until the black poly pipe snapped. After we pulled out the black poly pipe, it looks like the steel cable was unable to hook on the fitting but just cut through the black poly pipe. :<

My guess is that all the sediment on top of the pump was blocking the cable to hooking on the fitting on top of the pump.

This sediment could also be the reason that the acid we used earlier had no affect in breaking up the rust.

Author: e-plumber (NY)

"The pump is still stuck and we are forced to
seal the well and hook up to city water"

That sounds like a plan or re-drill - either will be costly.

...I'd switch to municipal supply and be done with it forever.

e-plumber
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The society which scorns excellence in Plumbing as a humble activity and tolerates shoddiness in philosophy because it is an
exalted activity will have neither good Plumbing nor good philosophy: neither its pipes nor its theories will hold water." -
John William Gardner 10/8/1912 - 2/16/2002

Repair your leaking Plumbing fixtures ASAP [www.theplumber.com]
This slow drip will waste 7+ gallons of water per day.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.