Welcome to Plbg.com Welcome to the Popular Plumbing, Kitchen, Bath Advice Site
  We're sponsored by:
The Leading Online Plumbing Supplier Since 1995
www.PlumbingForum.com
THE Dynamic Plumbing, Kitchen and Bath, Information, Advice and Sharing Forum

Over 520,000 Posts in over 150k Threads

By far the most popular positive STRICTLY PLUMBING INFORMATION SHARING FORUM board on the Net. Ask any toilet, sink, faucet, pump, water quality and other plumbing related questions here. Plumbing professional and DIY tips, tricks, shortcuts, remodeling, plumbing advice forum and blog. Please refrain from asking business, pricing, legal or any other non strictly plumbing related questions and we also ask for only positive comments and no advertising. 

New TopicSearchLog In Newest Messages
 what causes mold inside tub and sink faucets?
Author: msssmold (SC)

I have mold on the inside my bath faucet and inside my tub faucet and no one seems to know how to get rid of it. Can someone help me?

Reply To This Message

Re: what causes mold inside tub and sink faucets?
Author: dlh (TX)

have your water tested

- - - - - - -

PLUMBERS "Protecting The Health Of The Nation"

Reply To This Message

Author: msssmold (SC)

I don't have any mold inside my kitchen faucet, therefore, why check my water?

Reply To This Message

Author: dlh (TX)

it is either that or you have an air borne mold in your bathroom that you need to have checked out

- - - - - - -

PLUMBERS "Protecting The Health Of The Nation"

Reply To This Message

Author: e-plumber (NY)

Where exactly is this 'mold' appearing?

Could it possibly be just from the area constantly being moist and damp?

e-plumber
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The society which scorns excellence in Plumbing as a humble activity and tolerates shoddiness in philosophy because it is an
exalted activity will have neither good Plumbing nor good philosophy: neither its pipes nor its theories will hold water." -
John William Gardner 10/8/1912 - 2/16/2002

Repair your leaking Plumbing fixtures ASAP [www.theplumber.com]
This slow drip will waste 7+ gallons of water per day.

Reply To This Message

Author: jimmy-o (CA)

yes...please explain what you mean by "inside" the faucet.

Reply To This Message

Author: mjb1962853 (NY)

Your description is a bit confusing. How can you see mold inside a faucet?
Assuming there is mold in the bathroom sink, the bath tub, and possibly other places in the bathroom, I have 3 suggestions:

1) Bleach to clean up existing mold
2) Install a bathroom exhaust fan to remove moisture
3) USE the bathroom exhaust fan PROPERLY to remove moisture

I mention 3) specifically because I see MANY family members and friends who HAVE good working bathroom exhaust fans, but NEVER turn them on!?! The fan needs to be ON during and for 30-45 minutes AFTER showers to clear the excess moisture from the room. Otherwise, the remaining moisture is just what the mold/mildew needs to grow back.

Reply To This Message

Author: jimmy-o (CA)

2 & 3 most definitely. But as for #1, bleach is not a good product for mold.

Reply To This Message

Author: mjb1962853 (NY)

TRUE, bleach is a bad idea for use on porous surfaces deeply infected with mold and mildew. Bleach solutions used on drywall and wood can make the problem worse. For porous surfaces you should research other types of mold remediation techniques.

However, on hard non-porous surfaces like sinks and tubs, bleach is still a very effective biocide. Bleach is NOT a cleaning agent, it is a sanitizing agent. Surfaces must be thoroughly cleaned FIRST. Then a bleach solution can be used to sanitize the area.

Some info for review...
[www.cdc.gov]
[www.epa.gov]
[www.health.state.ri.us]
[www.peakpureair.com]

Reply To This Message

Author: Paulypfunk (WA)

How you you know this is mold? Have you had it tested? Can you describe the exact nature of the stuff? What color is it? Perhaps it is algae. Do you live on a well system? Do you have a hot water recirculation system? Is this stuff inside your toilet tank? More info please.

Reply To This Message

Author: LemonPlumber (FL)

I like 145 degrees of hot water.Are you running the tank a 120.getting 110 at the fixture and have very low or non existent levels of chlorine in your water.Go ahead.you wont be burned .but germs can hit hard .But call it mildew not mold.

Edited 1 times.

Reply To This Message

Note: Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.

Warning: Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.

Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.

Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try Heatinghelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Click here to view our old forum messages

to: Contact Us
to: Plumbing Manufacturers Address Directory
to: Plumbing Links Site
to: How to show an image
to: theplumber.com
to: Plbg Statistics
to: our FAQ's
to: Advisor List
to: Common Plumbing Terms
We're sponsored by:
  We're sponsored by:

Copyright© 2014 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.