Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Leaky shower valve
Author: BigReg1500 (CT)

Fellas - I have to go fix a leaky shower valve for my folks this weekend. I don't have the exact model of the valve, but I know it's the standard builder's version of the Symmons Temptrol - hopefully shown at the top of this page undecidedtemptrol-logo.jpg" class="bbcode" border="0" />

This valve is probably from the late 1980s, and it won't shut fully, just drips from the tub faucet. So it's most likely a cartridge or washer issue. I can't get there before the weekend, so I'm afraid I won't have enough time to get there, pull it, find the issue (if it's a cartridge or oring/washer) and replace while supply houses are open. Which probably means a full off-the-shelf big box replacement. I'm fine if that's the case, was just hoping to see if you had any tips for what might usually fail on a 20 year old valve like this.

Any chance I would have any luck going to my local supply house and getting a replacement stem/cartridge without being there to pull the old one first, or have they changed this product too much over the last 20 years to chance this? Thanks as always

Edited 1 times.

Re: Leaky shower valve
Author: Wheelchair (IL)

Find yourself a Symmons Master Stocking Distributor and no problems.

Best Wishes

Author: redwood (CT)

Big Reg,
The parts I most commonly replace are:
TA-10 Spindle
TA-4 Seats
TA-25A Diverter/Volume Spindle on tub/showers
or, the
TA-25B Volume Spindle on showers

I can't think of the last time I had to replace the T-16 Packing they usually are fine after adjusting.
If the packing has leaked and the unit has a metal handle it will be hopelessly fused to the end of the TA-10 spindle and you will need a new T-21 handle. If the handle doesn't come off I usually just rock it back and forth with a pair of channel locks and the end of the spindle snaps right off.

Make sure that the valve is full open before trying to take the T-12A cap off or reinstalling it.

The seats require a special wrench to take them out. the Symmons # is T-35A & T-35B
I use a tool made by Raven Products It is a 4 in one tool pictured below.
I'm pretty sure One Stop or Main would have it.
Raven Products # SYMM/TOOL

Is the water at the house where the valve is municipal or, well?

Another thing you could do I'm pretty sure that both big blue and ornge stock this is upgrade the trim. They have the Symmons Allura chome trim set for about $50.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Since 1995 (3 years before Google started) PlumbingSupply.com has been THE best plumbing supplier on the web. Please visit our sponsor [www.PlumbingSupply.com]

Edited 1 times.

Thanks Red, awesome details. The house is on muni water. I have a feeling we might just be cutting out to replace with a new unit & trim like you mentioned.

Can you get a fully assembled replacement spindle at supply houses, or do you generally have to put 'em together 1 o-ring at a time?

They are available fully assembled Part # TA-10.
They come with a new gasket for the T-12A Cap.
Both Main & One Stop should have you covered...

It should be fine for rebuilding.
The only ones I have ever had trouble with have been on funky wells.

Since 1995 (3 years before Google started) PlumbingSupply.com has been THE best plumbing supplier on the web. Please visit our sponsor [www.PlumbingSupply.com]

Edited 1 times.

Hey Red, thanks for the help on this. Yes One Stop had everything I needed, he even loaned me the seat removal tool. Very good experience.

You were dead-on about the handle being corroded and fused to the stem. The seats were so ground down from months of over-tightening that I couldn't even grab them with the tool, though. So we wound up cutting out and replacing the valve anyway. So it took a little extra time, but still not that bad of a job.

Glad to hear you got r done!
Bummer the seats wouldn't come out.
I usually only see that on well water.

Yeah, they have really hard water. All sorts of crusty stuff built up on the cold part of the stem.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.