Welcome to Plbg.com
Welcome to the Popular Plumbing, Kitchen, Bath Advice Site
Special thanks to:
FAMOUS PLUMBINGSUPPLY the award winning plumbing, kitchen and bath catalog. The largest selection of plumbing products and supplies on the net with over 1,600 pages. Since 1995 the PlumbingSupply Group has been serving the entire Internet community.
www.PlumbingForum.com
THE Dynamic Plumbing, Kitchen and Bath, Information, Advice and Sharing Forum
click here to learn how to show an image on PLBG.com

Over 520,000 Posts in over 150k Threads

By far the most popular STRICTLY PLUMBING INFORMATION SHARING FORUM board on the Net. Ask any toilet, sink, faucet, pump, water quality and other plumbing related questions here. Plumbing professional and DIY tips, tricks, shortcuts, remodeling, plumbing advice forum and blog. Please refrain from asking business, pricing, legal or any other non strictly plumbing related questions. 

New TopicSearchLog In Newest Messages
 Symmons Temptrol Replacement
Author: Belmar (MA)

I currently have a Symmons Temptrol faucet installed in my bathtub/shower, and I’m not sure of the age (older than ten years – came with the house).

The finish & faceplate are worn and the faucet is again developing a leak (after replacing the TA-9 washers last year). It seems obvious to me that most of the valve unit needs to be replaced, so instead of replacing individual parts, I think the most cost effective way would be to purchase a whole new valve unit.

My question is if a new Temptrol valve unit will fit into the piping/fittings that the older valve unit will come out of? Or is this is more than a simple swap-out job?

Thanks.

Reply To This Message

Re: Symmons Temptrol Replacement
Author: redwood (CT)

I would suggest replacing the TA-4 seats before giving up on the valve. I find that Symmons valve rebuild very nicely unless the are being used in agressive water conditions. A special wrench is required to remove the seats. The drawing below shows the T-35 A & B seat wrenches.

I have a tool made by Raven Products in Westborough, Mass for Symmons Temptrol Mixers... I like it!
Part # SYMM/TOOL
(508)836-3707

Reply To This Message

Author: packy (MA)

yeah, buy a whole new S-92-2. remove all the innards and install them into the old valve body.
seats, cartridge and diverter will all fit from new to old.
then install the trim, spout, shower arm, flange and head.
i just did this for someone and it is like they have a new valve..
PLUS, you don't need a MA plum

Reply To This Message

yeah, buy a whole new S-92-2. remove all the innards and install them into the old valve body.
seats, cartridge and diverter will all fit from new to old.
then install the trim, spout, shower arm, flange and head.
i just did this for someone and it is like they have a new valve..
PLUS, you don't need a MA plumbers license to do this work...

Reply To This Message

Author: plmbrgrl (MA)

Hopefully the valve body is not damaged in any way.
I've come across Symmons that have been stripped on the inside due to poor workmanship from the last rebuild. and the new rebuild kit just won't do the job.

Reply To This Message

Author: plumb-bobII (VA)

As Redwood and Packy state, time for a rebuild. Thanks Redwood for the "heads up" on the tool. All my stuff is factory supplied, I have 2 tools, something I hate!

Keep in mind, if you install a new stem, it must be in the open position.

Reply To This Message

Author: Belmar (MA)

Thanks for all the input!

Just to be clear, when purchasing the S-96-2 (or just the S-86-2?), does it include all the parts from the T-1 out to the handle? That’s what I was figuring to replace. Does this also include the special wrench?

Also, when you talk about the ‘old valve body’, do you mean the fixture the TA-4 (and out) goes into? If so, I was figuring to leave that in place. There didn’t seem to be anything wrong with it when I had everything apart to replace the TA-9 washers last year – that is unless you think I need to look it over more closely. Our town well water can be pretty harsh on plumbing…

Thanks again.

Reply To This Message

Author: redwood (CT)

He was talking about buying a complete new valve and k-balling the parts off it.

Many times the price on a new valve is better than the parts alone.
You'll have to check the pricing to determine which is better for you.

The wrenches are sold separately.

Reply To This Message

the T-35 and T-36 are the wrenches i use to service symmons.
the S-86-2 has no spout nor shower arm/head
the S-96-2 is a complete assembly
believe it or not, they cost me about the same.
the valve body is the only thing not numbered on the exploded view.

Reply To This Message

Author: sha5555 (MA)

I purchased a complete valve because it was much cheaper than buying the parts separately. I plan to replace everything but the valve body. The problem is that I'm having difficulty removing the hot/cold seats (with the removal) from the new valve body. Any suggestions?

Reply To This Message

Author: sha5555 (MA)

I purchased a complete valve because it was much cheaper than buying the parts separately. I plan to replace everything but the valve body. The problem is that I'm having difficulty removing the hot/cold seats (with the removal) from the new valve body. Any suggestions?

Reply To This Message

Note: Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.

Warning: Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.

Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.

Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try Heatinghelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Please visit:
FAMOUS PLUMBINGSUPPLY the award winning plumbing, kitchen and bath catalog. The largest selection of plumbing products and supplies on the net with pver 1,600 pages in our online plumbing catalog. Since 1995 the PlumbingSupply Group has been serving the entire Internet community.

Click here to view our old forum messages

Please visit:
FAMOUS PLUMBINGSUPPLY the award winning plumbing, kitchen and bath catalog. The largest selection of plumbing products and supplies on the net with over 1,600 pages in our online plumbing catalog. Since 1995 the PlumbingSupply Group has been serving the entire Internet community.

to: Contact Us
to: Plumbing Manufacturers Address Directory
to: Plumbing Links Site
to: How to show an image
to: theplumber.com
to: Plbg Statistics
to: our FAQ's
to: Advisor List
to: Toilet Repair Information
to: Tankless Water Heaters
to: Common Plumbing Terms