Welcome to Plbg.com Welcome to the Popular Plumbing, Kitchen, Bath Advice Site
  We're sponsored by:
The Leading Online Plumbing Supplier Since 1995
www.PlumbingForum.com
THE Dynamic Plumbing, Kitchen and Bath, Information, Advice and Sharing Forum

Over 520,000 Posts in over 150k Threads

The most popular positive STRICTLY PLUMBING INFORMATION SHARING FORUM board on the Net. Ask any toilet, sink, faucet, pump, water quality and other plumbing related questions here. Plumbing professional and DIY tips, tricks, shortcuts, remodeling, plumbing advice forum and blog. Please refrain from asking business, pricing, contractor referrals, legal or any other non strictly plumbing related questions and we also ask for only positive comments and no advertising. 

New TopicSearchLog In Newest Messages
 Toilets Not Flushing After Replacing Wax Ring
Author: tulsajeff (OK)

I had no flushing problems whatsoever with my 2 main toilets. Well.. There was a little leakage around the bottom of the toilets and I decided to replace the wax rings. I did this and caulked the bottom of the toilet to the tile floor when I was done.

Immediately the toilets are barely flushing. Sometimes they will flush very slowly but sometimes they just run over.

A guy at work told me it could be my vents on top of the roof being clogged up and since I just sealed off the air it was getting from under the toilet, it is now unable to suck air and is creating a vacuum.

Is this possible?

I have found something that seems to work sometimes.. I can open the cleanout drain outside and then put it back on loosely. This will cause the problem to go away for a week or two.

This could be coincidental as I have only done this twice so far and the fact that today it is not working.

Any ideas?

By the way.. I do have a bathroom in the laundry room that is not having a problem and never really has however we never use it either. The only time it gets used is when I am testing to see if the toilets are fixed I will usually flush it a couple of times to see if it is having a problem.

I need some guidance here;-)

Reply To This Message

Re: Toilets Not Flushing After Replacing Wax Ring
Author: nhmaster3015 (NH)

More likely you squashed the wax ring and it's partially blocking the outlet.

Reply To This Message

what are the chances this would have happened in both toilets? I have done this numerous times before with no problems...

Reply To This Message

Author: dlh (TX)

pretty good chances

- - - - - - -

PLUMBERS "Protecting The Health Of The Nation"

Reply To This Message

So are you guys telling me I have to pull both toilets back up or is there a way to correct this from the top?

Reply To This Message

Author: dlh (TX)

either that or you main line is clogged

- - - - - - -

PLUMBERS "Protecting The Health Of The Nation"

Reply To This Message

Author: hj (AZ)

Your friend may have given you at least some good advice. If removing the cleanout plug lets it flush, then you have a main sewer stoppage, AND a vent problem, but since vents seldom get clogged, those toilets probably have air admittance valves for the vent and the one that has no problem is the one with the proper vent through the roof.

Reply To This Message

Don't do it because that is not likely to be the problem. It seldom, if ever, is.

Reply To This Message

Author: jimmy-o (CA)

Toilets will flush just fine without any vent at all. Fine, that is except the trapway tends to be siphoned dry. Failure to flush is most likely a blockage.

Reply To This Message

I have 3 bathrooms... my house is 90 feet long with one bathroom at the far end master bedroom, one in the center and one in the other end at the kitchen/laundry room.

The master bedroom bathroom is not flushing, the center bathroom is not flushing, but the one in the laundry room is doing great.

Here is the deal.. since the cleanout is right outside the laundry room bathroom, I am assuming that the blockage must be somewhere between the back master bedroom and the laundry room.

I am NOT having any problems with my dishwasher or the washing machine which are both between the center bathroom and the laundry room bathroom.

Can I deduce that the problem has to be beyond the center bathroom but before the kitchen or laundry room?

If this is the case, how is the best way to snake it out?

Should I remove the toilet from the floor in the center bathroom and snake it from there?

Just trying to think logically here;-)

Reply To This Message

BAD assumption. If the sewer is obstructed and those toilets use AAVs for their vents, the stoppage can be ANYWHERE and you will have the same problem. AND the problem will occur as soon as the water level in the sewer rises and closes off the drain connection to the toilet that is, and will still, work. Given that the working toilet is where the pipe leaves the building that condition should occur fairly quickly. The drainage when the cleanout plug is removed, complicates the diagnosis slightly.

Reply To This Message

Here is one more question..

I said my house was long right? Well the first drain in the house is actually the shower in the master bedroom.

It would not drain this morning obviously but it gave me an idea.. would it be possible to snake that 3" shower drain instead of removing the toilet in the master bedroom.

In order of occurrence starting at the far end of the house furthest from the cleanout to the other end where the cleanout is just outside the laundry room door:

Shower
Master Bath Toilet
Center Bath and Toilet
Kitchen - dishwasher/sinks
Laundry room toilet
Laundry room - washer/sinks

Reply To This Message

NO! But a properly installed system will have a cleanout somewhere so you do not have to remove the toilet. I would ONLY remove the toilet as a last resort, and a plumber could NEVER snake the drain through the shower, even IF it had a 3" pipe, which yours is not likely to be.

Reply To This Message

Author: nwplumber (WA)

The laundry is closest to the cleanout and has not had any problems. Does anyone else think that there may be two cleanouts? One at the far end of the house furthest from the mainline exiting the house and hopefully one at the other end where it actually exits the house. By code an accessible cleanout is suppose to be at the end of each run. I think he might be opening the cleanout at the end of a run instead of one at the exit point of the house.

Reply To This Message

Note: Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.

Warning: Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.

Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.

Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try Heatinghelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Click here to view our old forum messages

to: Contact Us
to: Plumbing Manufacturers Address Directory
to: Plumbing Links Site
to: How to show an image
to: theplumber.com
to: Plbg Statistics
to: our FAQ's
to: Advisor List
to: Common Plumbing Terms
We're sponsored by:
  We're sponsored by:

Copyright© 2014 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.