Welcome to Plbg.com
Welcome to the Popular Plumbing, Kitchen, Bath Advice Site
Special thanks to:
FAMOUS PLUMBINGSUPPLY the award winning plumbing, kitchen and bath catalog. The largest selection of plumbing products and supplies on the net with over 1,600 pages. Since 1995 the PlumbingSupply Group has been serving the entire Internet community.
www.PlumbingForum.com
THE Dynamic Plumbing, Kitchen and Bath, Information, Advice and Sharing Forum
click here to learn how to show an image on PLBG.com

Over 520,000 Posts in over 150k Threads

By far the most popular STRICTLY PLUMBING INFORMATION SHARING FORUM board on the Net. Ask any toilet, sink, faucet, pump, water quality and other plumbing related questions here. Plumbing professional and DIY tips, tricks, shortcuts, remodeling, plumbing advice forum and blog. Please refrain from asking business, pricing, legal or any other non strictly plumbing related questions. 

New TopicSearchLog In Newest Messages
 Frozen pipes remedy
Author: gasser (PA)

I have pipes running thru unheated crawl space to 1/2 bath and laundry room. During extreme cold, have freezing of supply lines and drain(trap) inside exterior wall and in crawl space. Got some relief by opening up drywall (nice) behind washer to let pipes see room heat. But there is still freezing going on below.

Do those heater tape gizmos work? How much juice do they use? I could use those for supply(copper) but drains are PVC. The drain thats freezing is the washer; I could move the trap up and into the room so it would see room heat and use the heater tape on supply lines...OR

Try to insulate, heat crawl space which has gravel/dirt floor and block walls... Is this even feasible? I would need sprayed on foam stuff and probably another furnace of some sort. This would have the added benefit of warming the room above, but the floor is insulated so ??? Anyway, looks like big $$$.

Any thoughts?

Edited 1 times.

Reply To This Message

Re: Frozen pipes remedy
Author: dlh (TX)

for one. most codes require the trap to be above the floor. as for the pipes i would suggest heat tape but cant remember the type the guys from your neck of the woods recommend so just wait a few and one of them will be by shortly

- - - - - - -

PLUMBERS "Protecting The Health Of The Nation"

Reply To This Message

Code? This house was built by Larry, Moe and Curly on a budget...

Heat tape and move trap looks doable...

Thanks.

Reply To This Message

Author: dlh (TX)

i dont care who it was built by. most areas of the country require inspections and that requires going by a code

- - - - - - -

PLUMBERS "Protecting The Health Of The Nation"

Reply To This Message

Author: boschdonerite (VT)

Every mobile home in the northern hemisphere of the US and canada has a *heat tape* on the cold water pipe coming into the home. My mobile home in vermont, has a electrical outlet underneith the house spicifically for this. I have had a heat tape on my home since 1984, Ive only had to change it once. The style I have can be purchased at your local hardware store, it looks like a extension cord but with a thermostat built into it. I think it ran about $80 at that time. For a 20 foot cord. Only put it on copper pipeing. And then insulate with wrap insulation.

Reply To This Message

Author: nhmaster3015 (NH)

Heat tapes work. Buy Frost-tex brand. it's save and you can get it with a thermostat so it only runs when it's freezing.

Reply To This Message

Author: packy (MA)

have larry, moe and curly come back and move the pipes up into the joist space in the crawl. insulate below them but not above them. also, move them out of the outside wall and run them exposed. behind the washer they can show and under the toilet they can be chrome.
get a properly wired (220V) electric heater, set it for 40DEG and put it under the area that has the problem.

Reply To This Message

The stooges are long gone, house is 15 yrs old...

Pipes are up btn joists, were insulated from below as you said. Room above is not real warm as it has 2 exterior walls + 1 wall to unheated garage. That + running pipe thru ext wall = problem. I will get some of the tape and move supply out of walls if neccesary. An move trap up into room.

A 220V heater would be nice, but I dont have money to burn trying to heat this uninsulated space.

Thanks, terrific forum!

Edited 1 times.

Reply To This Message

Author: nhmaster3015 (NH)

Just go with the heat tape and insulate the pipes. should run you around 50 bucks or so.

Reply To This Message

Note: Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.

Warning: Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.

Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.

Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try Heatinghelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Please visit:
FAMOUS PLUMBINGSUPPLY the award winning plumbing, kitchen and bath catalog. The largest selection of plumbing products and supplies on the net with pver 1,600 pages in our online plumbing catalog. Since 1995 the PlumbingSupply Group has been serving the entire Internet community.

Click here to view our old forum messages

Please visit:
FAMOUS PLUMBINGSUPPLY the award winning plumbing, kitchen and bath catalog. The largest selection of plumbing products and supplies on the net with over 1,600 pages in our online plumbing catalog. Since 1995 the PlumbingSupply Group has been serving the entire Internet community.

to: Contact Us
to: Plumbing Manufacturers Address Directory
to: Plumbing Links Site
to: How to show an image
to: theplumber.com
to: Plbg Statistics
to: our FAQ's
to: Advisor List
to: Toilet Repair Information
to: Tankless Water Heaters
to: Common Plumbing Terms