Welcome to Plbg.com Welcome to the Popular Plumbing, Kitchen, Bath Advice Site
  We're sponsored by:
The Leading Online Plumbing Supplier Since 1995
www.PlumbingForum.com
THE Dynamic Plumbing, Kitchen and Bath, Information, Advice and Sharing Forum

Over 520,000 Posts in over 150k Threads

The most popular positive STRICTLY PLUMBING INFORMATION SHARING FORUM board on the Net. Ask any toilet, sink, faucet, pump, water quality and other plumbing related questions here. Plumbing professional and DIY tips, tricks, shortcuts, remodeling, plumbing advice forum and blog. Please refrain from asking business, pricing, contractor referrals, legal or any other non strictly plumbing related questions and we also ask for only positive comments and no advertising. 

New TopicSearchLog In Newest Messages
 Vent Stack Freezing
Author: tasm10 (Non-US)

My vent stack on my house keeps freezing completely blocking with ice at the top. Results in trap getting drained and sewer smell in the house. Why would the vent get ice? It is not covered with snow. Is there any way to prevent this. Resolved it by climbing up and pouring hot water on but 2 weeks later froze again.

Reply To This Message

Re: Vent Stack Freezing
Author: m & m (MD)

As water enters into the drain system, especially warm or hot water, it condenses. This condensation vapor then moves upwards, being lighter than air, through the venting system. As it reaches the cold pipe and air at or near the roof line, it then begins to reform into droplets and freeze on contact with the cold pipe. With enough cold temps and time, it will ice over.
Do you have access to the vent pipe where it exits the roof? If so, you could wrap the vent pipe with insulation. This will prolong the ice-over process, not eliminate it but worth a try. Once the winter is over, you could consider enlarging the vent pipe by a diameter or two right below the roof line (in the attic).

Reply To This Message

Author: hj (AZ)

It is the moist sewer air freezing in the vent. Usually, if the vent is installed properly, it does not happen because the requirements are written to address just that problem.

Reply To This Message

Author: LemonPlumber (FL)

You may find as stated,insulating the stack in the section from the ceiling to the roof helps and or cures your problem.But if not over sizing the vent terminal,just before it penetrates the roof is the approved frost proof termination of the vent.Good Luck.

Edited 1 times.

Reply To This Message

Author: nhmaster3015 (NH)

How big is the pipe penetrating thr roof? Around these parts the code says it has to be 4" daimeter and 18" above the roof.

Reply To This Message

Author: PBwrencher (WI)

This happens every cold winter in my part of the country.:think:

What I do to reduce frost closure is:

1. Paint the vent pipe black so it absorbs a little heat from the sun.
2. Try to have the vent pipe come out on the sunny side.
3. Increase the size of the vent pipe...@-30, freezing occurs 1"per 12 hours.
4. For long periods of cold weather install a temporary heat tape down the vent pipe on the roof. You only need about a 1" opening for a vent in these very cold times to protect trap seals.
5. Having two or more vents penetrating the roof will also help with temporary frost closures in the future.:)

1-13-09, 8:12am

Edited 1 times.

Reply To This Message

Author: jdm (MA)

no code in norteast says a home needs at least 1- 3" vent 18" above roof

Reply To This Message

Author: packy (MA)

?????

Reply To This Message

Author: waukeshaplumbing (WI)

ive seen 3" ones completely frozen

i like the idea of painting it black

id fix it by going larger...havent heard of a 4" one frozen yet.

what size is it?

Reply To This Message

Author: tasm10 (Non-US)

Thanks Will try. It is a 3" pipe.

Reply To This Message

That may be true because the good codes say it has to be increased to a minimum of 4",NOT 3", from a point 1' beneath the roof, to 1' above the roof.

Edited 1 times.

Reply To This Message

Author: e-plumber (NY)

That's what our (NYS) code states.

e-plumber
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The society which scorns excellence in Plumbing as a humble activity and tolerates shoddiness in philosophy because it is an
exalted activity will have neither good Plumbing nor good philosophy: neither its pipes nor its theories will hold water." -
John William Gardner 10/8/1912 - 2/16/2002

Repair your leaking Plumbing fixtures ASAP [www.theplumber.com]
This slow drip will waste 7+ gallons of water per day.

Reply To This Message

Author: packy (MA)

>from a point 1' beneath the roof, to 1' above the roof<
then ,pray tell, what do you from a point 1' above the roof for the next 6" of pipe?
mass code states the minimum height thru the roof is 18". (sal says so)
[news.bostonherald.com]

Reply To This Message

WEll, since the enlarged portion of premade cast iron increasers is only 24" long, I guess you would have to couple on a piece, or cut the ABS/PVC longer.

Reply To This Message

Author: LemonPlumber (FL)

I believe it is the Venturi effect that from where the drastic change in temperature occurs.So from one inch below the roof connection to the pipe to it's terminal 18" above would still be correct.The throttling occurring at the meeting of the piping with the cold roof would be the area of change.Much the same as the introduction of air through positive pressure.jacuzzi of freeze.Same positive, draw.

Reply To This Message

No it has nothing to do with Venturi. The increased size under the roof would normally be at a higher temperature than the outside air so its greater volume would help heat the outside portion, and the increased size would require more frost to close it. It would also be cooler than the portion of piping in the building so it would possibly condense some of the water out of the air before it reached the upper portion where some of the remaining moisture would freeze.

Reply To This Message

Author: PBwrencher (WI)

What I find mostly happening is when we get enough snow to cover the roof vent/s closing shut the roof vent can occur at temperatures even above zero.:)

What happens is water vapor rises in the vent and comes in contact with the snow forming an icy barrier mix to block off the vent, I then just use a broom handle to breakup the obstruction:think:

Keep in mind snow just by itself will not impede the function of the plumbing vent.:think2:

Of course the frost closure becomes more problematic when the weather gets colder, more snow on the roof, and larger amounts of hot water used in the household. I have not noted any hard and fast rules for vent frost closure as we have for water pipe sizing or DWV sizing other then what I have stated.:think2:

1-15-09, 9:02am "Think Global Warming Locally":)

Reply To This Message

Note: Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.

Warning: Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.

Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.

Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try Heatinghelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Click here to view our old forum messages

to: Contact Us
to: Plumbing Manufacturers Address Directory
to: Plumbing Links Site
to: How to show an image
to: theplumber.com
to: Plbg Statistics
to: our FAQ's
to: Advisor List
to: Common Plumbing Terms
We're sponsored by:
  We're sponsored by:

Copyright© 2014 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.