Welcome to Plbg.com Welcome to the Popular Plumbing, Kitchen, Bath Advice Site
  We're sponsored by:
The Leading Online Plumbing Supplier Since 1995
www.PlumbingForum.com
THE Dynamic Plumbing, Kitchen and Bath, Information, Advice and Sharing Forum

Over 525,000 Posts in over 155k Threads

The most popular positive STRICTLY PLUMBING INFORMATION SHARING FORUM board on the Net. Ask any toilet, sink, faucet, pump, water quality and other plumbing related questions here. Plumbing professional and DIY tips, tricks, shortcuts, remodeling, plumbing advice forum and blog. Please refrain from asking business, pricing, contractor referrals, legal or any other non strictly plumbing related questions keeping all positive and with no advertising. 

New TopicSearchLog In Newest Messages
 Toto toilet runs
Author: Hokie76 (FL)

We had a Toto-brand toilet installed several years ago. The G-Max flushing system works great; however, it's started sounding like it's running sometime. The sound stops when the water's turned off, and doesn't always resume when turned back on. We tried dye tablets, but nothing appears in the bowl to indicate a leak. Our water bills have nearly doubled over the past few months, so there's a leak somewhere. It looks OK, but should we start by replacing the inexpensive flapper first? Thanks.

Reply To This Message

Re: Toto toilet runs
Author: T Vinyard (CA)

Look in the tank whats'happening?

Water leaking out of a tank, can be caused bywater getting past the flapper. no noise untill water is replenished by a properly working fill valve. If water inlet was off the tank would empty itself

Water running over the overflow tube and not shutting off when tank is full is a bad fill valve. Running fill valves make noise. when inlet water is off the tank will remain full no noise.

fill valve and flapper can be bad simulanteously as well. sound like you have a bad fillvalve ( I can't see your post while writeing this I think that's what I remember

Reply To This Message

Author: LemonPlumber (FL)

I would advise you to lower the level of water in the bowl about 1/2" if is near or at the top of the overflow tube and to be sure the primer tube is above the water level of the tank.If dye or food coloring does not get from the tnk to the bowl in five minutes ,I would say the flapper is ok.Good Luck.

Reply To This Message

I checked the tank after it had filled up. The constant "hissing" noise appears to be coming from the fill valve, although no water was moving inside the tank. When I turn off the water supply, the noise stops. It resumes when I turn the water back on, but not always. The flapper is shedding tiny pieces of rubber, and should probably be replaced anyway. I'll start with that and see what happens. Thanks.

Reply To This Message

Yea.if it is coming a part it needs to be changed.Is the fill valve mechanical arm type?Where you could empty the bowl hold the arm up and see if water is coming through the side or joints of the valve.Any way Good Luck.If you fell lucky you could dissamble the fill valve and look for debris in the valve seal.

Edited 1 times.

Reply To This Message

Author: redwood (CT)

Which of these fill valves do you have?

or,

Reply To This Message

It's the one on the bottom. At 200 gallons a day, we're going to try to avoid using it and will turn off the water supply after every use until the problem is fixed. Thanks.

Reply To This Message

Author: e-plumber (NY)

Install a new fill valve and flapper, using OEM replacement parts or Korky brand, (pictured below).

and one of these

*A Fluidmaster 400-A fill valve won't work in a G-Max toilet.

e-plumber
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The society which scorns excellence in Plumbing as a humble activity and tolerates shoddiness in philosophy because it is an
exalted activity will have neither good Plumbing nor good philosophy: neither its pipes nor its theories will hold water." -
John William Gardner 10/8/1912 - 2/16/2002

Repair your leaking Plumbing fixtures ASAP [www.theplumber.com]
This slow drip will waste 7+ gallons of water per day.

Reply To This Message

E,Why would you say that?* a Fluild master 400 would not fit.I used a couple to repair these and seemed fine.The shafts on the toto fill valves where broken by a maintenance man who thought they needed adjustment.They needed flappers,But he could not find the right ones.

Reply To This Message

Author: e-plumber (NY)

I had a problem once w/ a 400-A that was installed in Drake G-Max toilet which was not flushing right and inquired about it. I was told that the Toto fill valve (or Korky equivalent) has a higher refill flow rate than the 400-A fill valve which can account for not enough water replenishing the trap seal (before the fill valve shuts off), for a complete flush and also will cause a smaller water surface area in the bowl.

e-plumber
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The society which scorns excellence in Plumbing as a humble activity and tolerates shoddiness in philosophy because it is an
exalted activity will have neither good Plumbing nor good philosophy: neither its pipes nor its theories will hold water." -
John William Gardner 10/8/1912 - 2/16/2002

Repair your leaking Plumbing fixtures ASAP [www.theplumber.com]
This slow drip will waste 7+ gallons of water per day.

Reply To This Message

Ok.I have always used the steal clip free from the rest of the refill tube connector when I install 400 a.May be why mine worked.Or just different flow rate to the valves.Good Luck.The new pro45b's fill way slow,but some times they work so quietly I have to listen to here them.

Reply To This Message

Author: redwood (CT)

Look at this link. [www.korky.com]
There is also an instructions link there.
It takes about a minute to fix and the valve does not need replacement.

Reply To This Message

Author: hannar (Non-US)

Hi there. i've been having hissing problems with my newly installed toilet with a G-max valve. The hissing seems to come from the valve. Nothing is leaking in the toilet. The noise starts when the toilet hasn't been flushed for a while and then the valve makes this loud noise and stops.
I was told that it may be caused by the top of the valve (sorry, i don't know the terminology of toilet stuff...) where the rubber seal might be defective.
Here's my question, how do I disassemble the G-max valve? will that even help solve the problem.

Thanks and I appreciate your comments

Reply To This Message

Author: Silverryan (CA)

My toto toilet with a type A gmax fill valve makes an awful noise when filling. Can anyone help me repair this issue?

Reply To This Message

Author: Bill R (CA)

Question: I have a Toto Pacifica two piece toilet with G-Max. My valve looks like the top picture but the number stamped on top is "16" and there is a date stamped on the side: "0603/06"
After the tank has filled, no water is running and the flapper is not leaking. However, there is a continuous rapid clicking sound. I can only stop the clicking when I turn off the supply line to the toilet.
Can I fix this clicking sound on my own by opening up the valve (how?) or do I need to replace the valve, or ??? The clicking annoys my wife.

Reply To This Message

Note: Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.

Warning: Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.

Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.

Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try Heatinghelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Click here to view our old forum messages

to: Contact Us
to: Plumbing Manufacturers Address Directory
to: Plumbing Links Site
to: How to show an image
to: theplumber.com
to: Plbg Statistics
to: our FAQ's
to: Advisor List
to: Common Plumbing Terms
We're sponsored by:
  We're sponsored by:

Copyright© 2014 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.