Welcome to Plbg.com Welcome to the Popular Plumbing, Kitchen, Bath Advice Site
  We're sponsored by:
Buy plumbing supplies online
www.PlumbingForum.com
THE Dynamic Plumbing, Kitchen and Bath, Information, Advice and Sharing Forum

Over 525,000 Posts in over 155k Threads

The most popular positive STRICTLY PLUMBING INFORMATION SHARING FORUM board on the Net. Ask any toilet, sink, faucet, pump, water quality and other plumbing related questions here. Plumbing professional and DIY tips, tricks, shortcuts, remodeling, plumbing advice forum and blog. Please refrain from asking business, pricing, contractor referrals, legal or any other non strictly plumbing related questions keeping all positive and with no advertising. 

New TopicSearchLog In Newest Messages
 Air Admittance Valve (AAV) failure data
Author: Why_I_DIY (CO)

Can anyone give me real world examples of any AAV failures?

Reply To This Message

Re: Air Admittance Valve (AAV) failure data
Author: hj (AZ)

There won't be many, because they are usually just thrown away, rather than any big deal being made of it. And even when they fail the user could go for years or more without knowing it. It is somewhat like a "removable" backwater valve I came across last week. They also operate in secret and you just presume it will be there when you need it. Unfortunately, the rubber/vinyl hinge on it had gotten stiff over the years so it neither opened far enough for the sewage to flow through freely, nor would it have closed to keep a backflow out of the house.

Edited 1 times.

Reply To This Message

Author: packy (MA)

an AAV is a mechanical device. anything mechanical can and will fail. it is just a matter of time.
an atmospheric vent has no moving parts. it will last the lifetime of the piping material it is made from.

Reply To This Message

Author: jimmy-o (CA)

I guess if you contact a manufacturer, like Studor, they will give you some data, which you can take with the appropriate grain of salt. They are IAPMO approved, so you could check there also.

Reply To This Message

Author: waukeshaplumbing (WI)

i use the Oatey Sure Vent and have great luck with them...i am forced to use them more than i would like because builders/remodelers dont want to open up extra walls and ceilings to run normal vents...

they are a perfect fix for a kitchen sink in an island or a basement bathroom without a vent dropped down...Ive never had a failure that i know of....will they all fail...yes...how much does it cost to replace? $25 from Home Depot....i really dont see the big deal with them...

should they be used all over the house..no!

Reply To This Message

I've done a lot of research on AAV's and yes they are being overused, put in attics accessible yes but if it in the attic tie in into the building vent or bust it out theough the roof. I plan to use an AAV on a wet bar sink that is the basement of a 2 story house running a vent would cause way too much collateral damage. I plan to put one in a utility room and inspect it on a regular basis. If it fails I'll replace it.

Reply To This Message

Author: dlh (TX)

we arent saying dont use it.

sometimes (now-a-days) you have to but just think about before aav's came around, either you ran a proper vent or you smelled sewer gas or you didnt install the fixture.

- - - - - - -

PLUMBERS "Protecting The Health Of The Nation"

Reply To This Message

Author: PBwrencher (WI)

The companies that sell them will give you a new one when the AAV fails and I don't even know if they even care about the data about failure or what they even consider a failure.:think:

If one gets small bugs in it, gets accidentally painted, installed during rough construction, exposed to dusty area or just installed wrong, are these reasons considered as failures:?::think2:

12-2-08, 8:05am

Reply To This Message

If it does not work the way it is supposed to, for whatever reason, it is a failure. Whether it could have been prevented or not, it is a failure. If it works the way it is supposed to, but does not prevent ancillary problems, it is a failure.

Reply To This Message

Author: waukeshaplumbing (WI)

i had an inspector tell me the sewer flies affected the Studor vents and not the Sure vents....the Sure vents weigh a ounce or 2 more...they must be the High quality ones. I think the Oatey Sure vents cost alittle less too

Reply To This Message

Gee, if my 4*4 Ford SUV skids off the road today because, we just had 4" of snow last night it's a failure, and Ford and congress will replace it for free:?::)

Iam going to remember your rational when it comes to removing the human equation concerning qualifying product failures.:think2::lol:

12-3-08, 7:19am

Reply To This Message

Gee, if my 4*4 Ford SUV skids off the road today because, we just had 4" of snow last night it's a failure, and Ford and congress will replace it for free

You also need juries with the total I.Q. of a banana like the ones that sais McDonald's was responible for the lady burning her lap because she did not know that hot coffee was "HOT". Or any of the other ridiculous and outlandish settlements other juries have made because the "company" and the "insurance companies" have big bucks and can afford it.

Reply To This Message

In the world of attorneys it not about who is right or wrong! It only matters who wins!:think:

12-3-08, 4:10pm

Reply To This Message

Or as one attorney said, "My clients do not want justice. They want freedom."

Reply To This Message

By Murphy's law failure data, old fashioned through the roof vents fail. Nail punctures, partial and completly cut, broken al could lead to sewer gas entering building. Vent pipes covered or obstructed with debris are cause slow fixture draining. All vents are bad abd they fail.

A failure in my book is a product that fails due to defect in the product itself. A product that is destroyed or damged is not a failure of the product it is a failure caused by people with tools who can't read or don't care. Examples: A illegal immigrant from Mars can't read the warning label on a AAV and blast it with texture so it can no longer be seen Marty thinks he's doing a good job. Joe six pack cuts a horizontal vent pipe in half by accident, instead of letting someone know he wraps a piece of used duct tape around the pipe after the first hot day the duct tape fails and the vent pipe seperates leaking sewer gas into the house. Neither of these is a product failure.

Reply To This Message

I hate to burst your bubble, but a nail through a vent line is not going to leak because there is no way to create pressure in the pipe. The other scenarios could do it, but there is no way to protect agains stupidity, except by not installing the pipe in the first place.

Reply To This Message

I hate to burst your bubble, but a nail through a vent line is not going to leak because there is no way to create pressure in the pipe. The other scenarios could do it, but there is no way to protect agains stupidity, except by not installing the pipe in the first place. But an atmospheric vent cures problems, it does not cause any the way an AAV can.

Reply To This Message

Note: Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.

Warning: Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.

Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.

Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try Heatinghelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Click here to view our old forum messages

to: Contact Us
to: Plumbing Manufacturers Address Directory
to: Plumbing Links Site
to: How to show an image
to: theplumber.com
to: Plbg Statistics
to: our FAQ's
to: Advisor List
to: Common Plumbing Terms
We're sponsored by:
  We're sponsored by:

Copyright© 2014 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.