Welcome to Plbg.com Welcome to the Popular Plumbing, Kitchen, Bath Advice Site
The Leading Online Plumbing Supplier Since 1995
www.PlumbingForum.com
THE Dynamic Plumbing, Kitchen and Bath, Information, Advice and Sharing Forum

Over 520,000 Posts in over 150k Threads

By far the most popular positive STRICTLY PLUMBING INFORMATION SHARING FORUM board on the Net. Ask any toilet, sink, faucet, pump, water quality and other plumbing related questions here. Plumbing professional and DIY tips, tricks, shortcuts, remodeling, plumbing advice forum and blog. Please refrain from asking business, pricing, legal or any other non strictly plumbing related questions and we also ask for only positive comments and no advertising. 

New TopicSearchLog In Newest Messages
 washer draining into toilet/tub
Author: ukoriginal (AZ)

HELP PLEASE!! I just purchased a home (built in 1973, been empty for almost a year). We did laundry today and when the washer hit the spin cycle the water came up into the bathtubs and toilets. Since then whenever we flush the bowl overflows and no waste goes down. Takes about 30-45 mins for the bowl to drain

Reply To This Message

Re: washer draining into toilet/tub
Author: mjb1962853 (NY)

Sounds like your main line to sewer or septic is blocked. Nothing you can do without a big drain auger and some experience on how to use it effectively. Don't waste any money on chemical drain cleaners. Call a local plumber to come out and fix your problem.

Reply To This Message

Author: hj (AZ)

WE cannot help, because you need a plumber in your area, not one on the Internet. The first thing most people would have done was call the plumber, not rush to the Internet. It is not a panacea for all ills.

Reply To This Message

Author: Wheelchair (IL)

Something occurred to the home's sewerline durning the year plus that the house sat idle. Things like this should have been revealed during the home inspection and "may" qualify for the warranty.

Your problem is a major restriction or blockage in the sewer line that requires professional intervention... a licensed plumber.

A licensed plumber has the knowledge, proper equipment and training to do the job in the least amount of time.

In the end, you and your family will have peace of mind and a sewer line that does what it was designed to do.....

Best Wishes

Reply To This Message

Author: ukoriginal (AZ)

HJ: Thanks so much for your unnecessary comments. This happened at 10pm on a Sunday night. I "rushed" to the internet because I could not reach a plumber at that time. :disappointed:

To the others that answered - a sincere thanks. I figured I would need a professional but was hoping I could find a temporary fix so we could use the toilet while we waited!

Edited 2 times.

Reply To This Message

Author: hj (AZ)

It was not a "unnecessary" comment. It was reality. Here, you can get a plumber any time of the day or night, at a cost. But if you had called me,(I am in the phone book), and explained the situation, I WOULD have told you that you DO need a plumber, and that there was not likely to be any temporary solution, (well there could have been one under the right circumstances), and YOU could have decided whether you needed me right then, or the next day when it would be less expensive.

Edited 1 times.

Reply To This Message

Author: Wheelchair (IL)

Based on your original posting, you didn't provde enough information for anyone to assist you, as you didn't know exactly where in your sewerline the blockage had occurred. If it was only 3-5 feet into the line, I'm sure all would have tried to warn you of any dangers associated with opening a blocked sewer line which could contain human waste. We don't know how much training your have or the type of equipment you have at your disposal.... at the time.

Sometimes, when we (collectively) do not have all of the facts, it is most difficult to offer suggestions or advice without exposing the homeowner to certain dangers. I hope this explains some of the responses... I hope.

Where you able to contact a licensed plumber? What did they find?
Best Wishes

Reply To This Message

Note: Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.

Warning: Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.

Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.

Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try Heatinghelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Click here to view our old forum messages

to: Contact Us
to: Plumbing Manufacturers Address Directory
to: Plumbing Links Site
to: How to show an image
to: theplumber.com
to: Plbg Statistics
to: our FAQ's
to: Advisor List
to: Common Plumbing Terms
The Leading Online Plumbing Supplier Since 1995 The Leading Online Plumbing Supplier Since 1995

Copyright© 2014 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.